SATURDAY 7 SEPTEMBER 2019

ST PIRAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE EAST

AFC St Austell Reserves     4-1             Callington Town Reserves

Bude Town            4-0              St Dennis Reserves

Liskeard Athletic Reserves              1-1              Saltash Borough

Millbrook Reserves           0-3           Saltash United Reserves

Polperro            6-1           Wadebridge Town Reserves

St Mawgan            1-2              Launceston Reserves

Sticker Reserves       4-1      Morwenstow (still showing as 1-4 on full-time at midnight, but twitter posts would suggest 4-1 is correct)

Torpoint Athletic Reserves          3-1              Lanreath

ST PIRAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE WEST

Hayle      4-1           Falmouth Town Reserves

Ludgvan            3-2             Perranwell

Perranporth         1-2              Illogan RBL

Redruth United    1-2          Helston Athletic Reserves (corrected from original full-time posting)

St Day     6-0            Mousehole Reserves

St Ives Town      2-1            Mullion

Wendron United Reserves       1-3              Penryn Athletic

Really strange scenes at St Mawgan, as the referee abandoned the game with less than 2 minutes left then 5 minutes later un-abandoned it and played out the remaining time!

To be honest, he'd not been having one of his better games beforehand but that's life, we all have good days and bad days.

Launceston had taken the lead midway through the first half somewhat against the run of play when a forward broke through in the box and beat the keeper with a fierce shot at the near post. The home team equalised before the break when some fine work on the right hand side by player-manager Ash Bicknell found a team mate unmarked in front of goal to sidefoot home.

Second half, not much went on and it looked like the game was heading towards a 1-1 team with bot teams deserving something out of the game, when the ever snappy Sam West got a sin-bin for dissent and the hosts were reduced to 10 men. To be fair, both he and the Launceston No. 5 could have got a yellow card proper for a confrontation not much earlier.

Two minutes to go, Launceston got a free kick just in from the corner flag. The ball was crossed in much like a corner and the ref blew the whistle. Neither team really seemed to know what was going on for a minute but it was for a penalty for Launceston for holding off the ball. A Launceston player stepped up to take the spot kick, sent it to the keeper's left but it hit the post and bounced safely away. Within a fraction of a second, the ref blew for the penalty to be retaken, not sure it it was for encroachment or the keeper coming off his line. Cue some understandable disappointment from the Mawgan players, but nothing abusive, shouting or seemingly too much at all. The ref then decided he had had enough and shouted "game abandoned" and proceeded to walk off leaving both teams baffled.

Just as spectators were getting in to their cars, I could see the Launceston players filing back on to the field. I shouted out of my car window "What's going on?" and one of them said that he had decided to change his mind and re-start the game.

The game restarted with the re-taken penalty not before the ref had incorrectly explained to the keeper where he need to stand while the ball was struck and Launceston scored second time around.

Within the time remaining, Launceston perhaps should have had a second spot kick for a foul, but understandably he decided to keep his whistle quiet and the game petered out.

Well done to Launceston for earning the 3 points, well done to Mawgan for hosting their first ever game at this level, but not well done to the man in black, I don't like criticising refs but when he acts like that it's hard not to. Still the game needs referees (I hear the Ruan Minor game was postponed due to the lack of a ref) and doubtless the CCFA will back him to the hilt.

FT - St Mawgan 1-2 Launceston reserves

Edited by Richard Rundle
Add final score

Ludgvan 3 - Perranwell 2 - Least said the better, but well played Ludgvan. Score flatters The Well who only decided to turn up and play in the last 5. We can't keep using the injury excuse, should have enough on the field to compete and can't criticise the effort from most, but desperately need to move the ball quicker and to play as a team. Hate criticising my own club, but the frustrating thing is we are much better than this. Onward to next week. Well reffed Alan Hoon.

On 05/09/2019 at 13:10, Dave Deacon said:

ST PIRAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE EAST

AFC St Austell Reserves     4-1             Callington Town Reserves

Bude Town            4-0              St Dennis Reserves

Liskeard Athletic Reserves              1-1              Saltash Borough

Millbrook Reserves           0-3           Saltash United Reserves

Polperro            6-1           Wadebridge Town Reserves

St Mawgan            1-2              Launceston Reserves

Sticker Reserves       1-4          Morwenstow

Torpoint Athletic Reserves          3-1              Lanreath

ST PIRAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE WEST

Hayle      4-1           Falmouth Town Reserves

Ludgvan            3-2             Perranwell

Perranporth         1-2              Illogan RBL

Redruth United    2-1           Helston Athletic Reserves

St Day     6-0            Mousehole Reserves

St Ives Town      2-1            Mullion

Wendron United Reserves       1-3              Penryn Athletic

Sticker 4 - 1 Morwenstow on Twitter????

WENDRON  (0)  1        Sam Fuller 46’

PENRYN  (1)  3         Jake Shaw 35’  Ryan Reeve 56’  Jack Rapsey 62’

ATT: 51

REF: Mr Dave Dodson 8/10  very good

MOM : Josh Gilbert (Penryn)

Penryn came away from the Immaculate looking Underlane with their 100% record still intact and top of the league but they had the woodwork and an inspired goalkeeping performance by Josh Gilbert to thank for that. I arrived bang on kick off and I hadn’t even ventured up the steps when I saw a Wendron player race down the right after 45 seconds and heard a big ting like a shot off the post can only sound like!! I asked Wendrons management team of Josh McDonald and Matt Potts what had happened as I walked past their dug out and they said that Sam Fuller had indeed struck a post with their first attack. A quick toilet stop, bit of a treck from Fowey and old age and came out to Wendron on the front foot for the opening ten minutes. Penryn got into the game on 11 minutes when Tyler Cooke made a strong right wing run ending with a terrific drilled cross around the back of the home defence but Paddy? did brilliantly to whip the ball off Ryan Reeves toes to concede a corner. Three minutes later Reeve shut down the keeper and his clearance came back off the striker before rolling past the post. Jake Shaw then played a short pass to Jack Rapsey but his 25 yard drive cleared the crossbar. The lively Billy Stone then shot wide at the other end from a similar distance. On 25 minutes a sharp turn and shot from Rapsey was well held down low by the home keeper before the hosts had a couple of long range efforts off target. Wendron were fast to shut down Penryn all over the pitch not letting them play their usual brand of free flowing football and looking dangerous themselves going forward. The opening goal came somewhat out of the blue after 35 minutes when Shaw produced a goal of the season contender curling the ball into the far corner of the lush bundesliga style box nets from 25 yards. Reeve picked up a yellow card for what looked to be an acceptable challenge on a defender shutting him down before he cleared and catching him a micro second late but Mr Dodson decided it warranted a yellow card. Think Dave is a great ref and top bloke to the players as well and I’ve seen him have brilliant games, not sure this was one of his best today but he’s still worth an 8/10 every day of the week. 👍 3 minutes before the break an initial great tackle by Ed Rowe saw him win the ball clean as a whistle but it fell into the path of Fuller whose strong shot was brilliantly turned around the post by visiting keeper Josh Gilbert and a minute later Stone showed great technique on the volley from the edge of the area but it came back off the inside of the post and the hosts could not believe their luck 2 minutes into added on time when Jack Noy slipped down the left unnoticed to strike his shot low off the inside of the same post as Penryns goal seemed to live a charmed life for a little 5 minute spell before the half time whistle. The 2nd half was only 70 seconds old when the hosts with their first attack this time got the equaliser they deserved when Fuller latched onto a through ball to score from close range. On 50 minutes the speedster Reeve raced clear, rounded the keeper and was wiped out. Premier league straight red all day, put Dave decided to keep the keeper on the pitch. 2 minutes later Stones skills down the left saw him cross to the far post but the shot from 8 yards was superbly saved to his left by Gilbert once again and it proved vital 4 minutes later when Gilbert raced off his line to clear the danger upfield where Rapsey towered above two defenders to flick a header into Reeves path and he took one touch before rifling the ball into the roof of the net at the keepers near post to give the visitors possibly an undeserved lead. A Roberts free kick into the area on 58 minutes was predictably headed into the far corner by Bradley Leivers but Mr D spotted a push and disallowed the effort. Luckily 4 minutes later Penryn did get the game killing goal when Roberts shot from 15 yards cannoned off the inside of that same post and Rapsey was quickest to react to fire in from 6 yards. Penryn now started to play the football us followers have been treated to so far this season and Reeve and Rapsey both had shots set up by Billy Williams which lacked the power to beat the diving keeper. Noy had a shot well beaten away by the impressive Gilbert and Roberts had a strike well turned over the bar by the home keeper. On 82 minutes a Leivers cross was headed wide by Williams at the far post before Stone put his 30 yard free kick well clear of the crossbar. 2 minutes from time a brave save by the home keeper at the feet of Reeve saw him receive treatment before Reeve was clean through a minute into stoppage time but his shot was blocked by the on rushing keeper. Russell May and Ed Rowe both produced last ditch tackles as Wendron mounted one last charge but to no avail as Penryn came away with all 3 points. Spoke to Josh and Pottsy after and they were pleased with their teams performance after a disappointing game at St.Ives last week and on another day may have snatched at least a point, as for Penryn I’m sure Popey will be happy to escape with 3 points from a really difficult game in which Penryn were tested for the first league game this season in reality and came away winners which is a nice trait when you don’t play your best and still win. Underlane looked fantastic and I’m looking forward to seeing their new floodlights next week, pitch looked awesome, nearly as nice as Bakes Kernick Road pitch! Penryn had a keeper that made outstanding saves at the right times and their two 2nd half goals within 6 minutes of each other knocked the stuffing out of the gallant hosts. Another great £8 worth of St.Piran league entertainment (Mrs was there as well) plus the two half time teas. Cheap days quality football, would have paid a tenner just to see Jake’s goal to be fair! Roll on Mullion Tuesday 👍

Glad to be out of it to be honest Keith!! Never realised how much I missed having a Saturday teatime free! Rushing to meet the deadline, then trying to get to work for 8pm, doing 95 mph down Sticker bypass! Ridiculous really mate!! Miss a few of my contacts I used to chat to on a Saturday but that’s about it really. Lots of positives, can even watch the Saturday 5.30 live game now! I’ll chuck a report on the forum anytime I go and watch a good old local game Keith 👍

Bude 4 st Dennis 0

Struggling to get players for away games is starting to wear a bit thin now but credit to the lads that played on Saturday,bude had the majority of chances n possibly could of had more if not for some fine saves from our keeper n a goal line clearance by our winger,not much else to say on the game really as had to play myself n was busy trying to catch a player half my age all afternoon, tiring is an understatement lol.

Well reffed by Pete sowden (apologies if name is wrong ) one of the best displays from a ref that iv seen in a long time explained every decision he gave n didn't stand for any nonsense really good on the day.

Thanks Keith, enjoy doing them mate. Bit of a reminder of the match for the lads really, father time flies by so quick these days don’t it mate. Was watching a documentary on Sky last week and it had games from Italia 90 on there, playing music from that year, I was 22, just won the old SWL and Cup with Falmouth, top scorer in the league, just got back from our end of season Amsterdam trip, was off to Florida the day after the World Cup final, what a life really, just take it all for granted don’t you mate! 30 years ago and it seemed like yesterday!! Gazza’s tears and all that! Sitting here now, 52 years old, put on 5 stone, grey as a badger, knackered knees, watching highlights of Scotland getting battered by Belgium last night, not such an exciting life these days but still loving football and looking forward to Penryn v Mullion tonight!! Wonder if I’ll still be here in another 30 years enjoying football at 82!? Doubt it very much but if I I’m gone tomorrow what would life have been without football!?! 👍👌