Cornwall Football Forum

8 hours ago, footballfollower2000 said:

After being lead to believe that the league insisted on using a specific match ball, after us playing 5 away games  on the spin, I’m miffed As to why only morwenstow and St Austell have used the said balls.............Lanreath, Sticker, and today Torpoint have chosen to please themselves...........discuss.....

It was not mandated at the AGM to use the OneSport ball but it was and is encouraged.  If the clubs vote for it at next year's AGM then it will be mandated for 20/21 season.

14 minutes ago, dave bunt said:

Is it because most teams have first teams in the Peninsula League & they use Macron balls? Seems silly & expensive to have two sets of match balls at one club.

Peninsula League have changed to Onesport - but Clubs are permitted to continue to use their "stock" of Macron balls for this season.

speaking as someone who has spent 50 years wallowing around the bottom of the football pond where 3 or 4 vastly different balls can be used in any one match, i think there is something to be said for standardising the match ball  - PROVIDING the ball is chosen because of its quality and value for money NOT because it is trendy or someone has done a deal. 

The Mitre Multiplex was a classic, the Morris Minor of footballs, but there were always clubs who just had to have a Rolls or could only afford a Skoda (old type) - too much 'red tape' wont help our already struggling clubs though, a good area to exercise some common sense.

From what i see week in week out  most Duchy Lge players seem to manage to make any type of ball deviate from a straight line without any difficulty !

2 hours ago, Darin Morse said:

In fairness, retrieving them from trees, brambles, gardens etc is not always easy at our level so I can sympathise with any clubs who choose, or who are forced, to use cheaper alternatives than ludicrously costly "official" match balls.

A fair point Darrin but it's a quite decent deal.  If a club buys 3 balls they get a 4th free which, with the discount, brings them down to £27 each. 

I agree wit Matt completely, £27 a ball (or even £21ish with the free ball thrown in) is too expensive for us small clubs when we go through so many balls - I've seen balls lost over hedges, into roads, etc at just about every ground - sometimes within 5 mins of kicking off! We can get a deal for 10 mitre ultimax for just over £100, which would only buy at most 4 of these (5 with the free ball deal) - even ultimax plus are far cheaper. The mitre ball is used by clubs at higher levels than us so is good quality. You get us a deal which works out the same as that I'll gladly use the onesport ones 

4 hours ago, MattP said:

I don’t call £27 a ball a decent deal! A Mitre match grade ball can be bought (in bulk) for around half of that. 

3 hours ago, Kvmccan said:

I agree wit Matt completely, £27 a ball (or even £21ish with the free ball thrown in) is too expensive for us small clubs when we go through so many balls - I've seen balls lost over hedges, into roads, etc at just about every ground - sometimes within 5 mins of kicking off! We can get a deal for 10 mitre ultimax for just over £100, which would only buy at most 4 of these (5 with the free ball deal) - even ultimax plus are far cheaper. The mitre ball is used by clubs at higher levels than us so is good quality. You get us a deal which works out the same as that I'll gladly use the onesport ones 

I stand corrected guys.  When I was last in club football (a few years ago now) we always used Mitre Monde balls and they used to come in at @£20 a go.  Decent quality ball that would certainly last a season or so.  It would appear that there's been some deflation (no pun intended) in Mitre prices.

One thing you must remember though is that whatever ball you use  it MUST comply with Law 2 and bear one of the following markings:

image.png.bc6f70624a278d85c0a5318f48bd1a73.pngimage.png.b052480077a2906ec7431472cca1bdf1.pngimage.png.ecd74900f216caece4b417deb38ed03a.png

If it hasn't got one of these it ain't a match ball.

2 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

I stand corrected guys.  When I was last in club football (a few years ago now) we always used Mitre Monde balls and they used to come in at @£20 a go.  Decent quality ball that would certainly last a season or so.  It would appear that there's been some deflation (no pun intended) in Mitre prices.

One thing you must remember though is that whatever ball you use  it MUST comply with Law 2 and bear one of the following markings:

image.png.bc6f70624a278d85c0a5318f48bd1a73.pngimage.png.b052480077a2906ec7431472cca1bdf1.pngimage.png.ecd74900f216caece4b417deb38ed03a.png

If it hasn't got one of these it ain't a match ball.

Do the Onesport balls have any of those logos?  The one i saw certainly did not.

The ball listed as £251517196304_ScreenShot2019-09-02at15_44_09.thumb.png.0c04a2dc333d7df1fd52bbe8beea08e8.png each on the website, says exceeds FIFA standards, but doesn't have logos on them as this would make the balls more expensive

When I messaged Onesport, they said even the £90 SWPL Xcite ball exceeds the standards but does not have the logo.

58 minutes ago, Robin Tucker said:

Do the Onesport balls have any of those logos?  The one i saw certainly did not.

The ball listed as £251517196304_ScreenShot2019-09-02at15_44_09.thumb.png.0c04a2dc333d7df1fd52bbe8beea08e8.png each on the website, says exceeds FIFA standards, but doesn't have logos on them as this would make the balls more expensive

When I messaged Onesport, they said even the £90 SWPL Xcite ball exceeds the standards but does not have the logo.

The promoted ball is on the Onesport site at £90 Robin:  https://www.onesport.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/onesport-swpl-xcite-hybrid-football-size-5-white-green

Hi all!

I feel i need to come on and explain!

The Xcite ball is currently the mandatory ball of choice for the SWPL and will be for the St Pirans league next season also.  The St Pirans league have advised that they would prefer the use of this ball or the Nitro ball this season as well but that is up to the clubs.

Having played in all these leagues over the last 20 years the quality of match balls was always something that frustrated me as a player.  When the SWPL standardised the use of the match balls it made a big difference to the league and as a player made it feel more professional and you knew what you were going to get when preparing for a game.

Balls have evolved a lot over the last few years and the difference in quality is huge.   The recent Macron ball may be a decent ball and FIFA Approved but its nowhere near as good as other top end balls.  I heard a lot of players complaining about them.  Especially after we had that top end Nike ball years ago that they sent by mistake!  Since then i have searched high and low for a supplier to produce the best ball I can for the league to play with.  I have traveled to other countries to meet suppliers, had several samples made at big costs to me and finally at the beginning of last year found a supplier that produces balls for another very well known top brand.

My whole mission is for the players to be able to play with a ball that the top professional players get to play with.  Try kicking one and compare it to another ball.  There will be no comparison.  The feedback I've had from players and clubs so far has been incredible.  This ball should be £90 retail and compares with the top end Mitre balls used in the Championship.  £27.00 is very close to the actual cost of the ball to make.  This part of my company is not here to make money but for the players to experience playing with the best equipment possible.  A ball is not a ball.  You can't compare a Mitre Ultimatch to the Xcite (or the Nitro to be fair!).

With regards to Law 2 the ball only needs to bare the FIFA marks mentioned in FIFA or confederations competitions i.e. The World Cup, Champions League etc.  David Elleray the ex Premier League referee who is now the Technical Director of IFAB confirmed this to me himself.  This does not mean the Xcite ball doesn't meet those standards!  In fact the Xcite ball far exceeds the highest FIFA Pro standards.

I do understand there are clubs in the lower leagues that can get balls at 10 for £100 and that's fine.  But they won't be anywhere near the quality or have the technology of the balls we've produced.  As there are a lot of SWPL reserve sides in the St Pirans it makes sense that they have the same ball.

The Nitro ball is still a fantastic ball and 10 x for £170 again won't be beaten on quality.

I will answer any questions you may have on here the best i can.

I am a Cornish Boy trying to give Cornish football the best possible ball at the best possible price for the quality. 

We will be making cheaper balls eventually because i understand the need for this but i want the best for everyone!

Thank you

Paul Hider

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Hi all!

I feel i need to come on and explain!

The Xcite ball is currently the mandatory ball of choice for the SWPL and will be for the St Pirans league next season also.  The St Pirans league have advised that they would prefer the use of this ball or the Nitro ball this season as well but that is up to the clubs.

Having played in all these leagues over the last 20 years the quality of match balls was always something that frustrated me as a player.  When the SWPL standardised the use of the match balls it made a big difference to the league and as a player made it feel more professional and you knew what you were going to get when preparing for a game.

Balls have evolved a lot over the last few years and the difference in quality is huge.   The recent Macron ball may be a decent ball and FIFA Approved but its nowhere near as good as other top end balls.  I heard a lot of players complaining about them.  Especially after we had that top end Nike ball years ago that they sent by mistake!  Since then i have searched high and low for a supplier to produce the best ball I can for the league to play with.  I have traveled to other countries to meet suppliers, had several samples made at big costs to me and finally at the beginning of last year found a supplier that produces balls for another very well known top brand.

My whole mission is for the players to be able to play with a ball that the top professional players get to play with.  Try kicking one and compare it to another ball.  There will be no comparison.  The feedback I've had from players and clubs so far has been incredible.  This ball should be £90 retail and compares with the top end Mitre balls used in the Championship.  £27.00 is very close to the actual cost of the ball to make.  This part of my company is not here to make money but for the players to experience playing with the best equipment possible.  A ball is not a ball.  You can't compare a Mitre Ultimatch to the Xcite (or the Nitro to be fair!).

With regards to Law 2 the ball only needs to bare the FIFA marks mentioned in FIFA or confederations competitions i.e. The World Cup, Champions League etc.  David Elleray the ex Premier League referee who is now the Technical Director of IFAB confirmed this to me himself.  This does not mean the Xcite ball doesn't meet those standards!  In fact the Xcite ball far exceeds the highest FIFA Pro standards.

I do understand there are clubs in the lower leagues that can get balls at 10 for £100 and that's fine.  But they won't be anywhere near the quality or have the technology of the balls we've produced.  As there are a lot of SWPL reserve sides in the St Pirans it makes sense that they have the same ball.

The Nitro ball is still a fantastic ball and 10 x for £170 again won't be beaten on quality.

I will answer any questions you may have on here the best i can.

I am a Cornish Boy trying to give Cornish football the best possible ball at the best possible price for the quality. 

We will be making cheaper balls eventually because i understand the need for this but i want the best for everyone!

Thank you

Paul Hider

A very honest reply 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

23 minutes ago, St Darren said:

£90 for a ball???  Wow!!

At the standard of football they are playing I doubt whether it makes a massive difference. Yes it feels nice but are players really that good to notice the difference between a £90 ball and a £40 ball

Crazy isn’t it?!  But that’s the cost of the best materials nowadays!  If you play with them you’ll know the difference.  Especially in our weather when you’ll notice these balls don’t take on any water and get all heavy and stay inflated for weeks.

There really has been a lot of development in balls over the last few years.  

I think £90 is mental too which is why I’m trying to offer this standard ball at a great price for the leagues. 

The single most important piece of equipment in football is the football.  Why wouldn’t you want the best quality available?! 

Paul

8 hours ago, Spider said:

Crazy isn’t it?!  But that’s the cost of the best materials nowadays!  If you play with them you’ll know the difference.  Especially in our weather when you’ll notice these balls don’t take on any water and get all heavy and stay inflated for weeks.

There really has been a lot of development in balls over the last few years.  

I think £90 is mental too which is why I’m trying to offer this standard ball at a great price for the leagues. 

The single most important piece of equipment in football is the football.  Why wouldn’t you want the best quality available?! 

Paul

You want the best that you can afford as with all things in life 

Good, interesting, thoughtful topic.

'the best you can afford' pretty much sums things up St Darren.

For those clubs that don't generally suffer ball loses and can afford it £27 for a top class ball sounds a good deal to me.

But for the other clubs £10 a time is financially sensible.

I can't help wondering what sort of labour conditions are being endured to produce a £10 match ball though.

Charter Standard Clubs receive 4 free Nike match balls every season they complete the ‘Annual Health Check’. Might not be the quality needed at St Pirans level or above but is certainly worth it for Duchy/Trelawny clubs. Like Paul said earlier - our players can make a ball go anywhere 😂😂😂

On 06/09/2019 at 18:19, a little bit of a dinho said:

Think we played with a Onesport ball out at St.day and I did actually notice that it was a nice quality ball. Not sure which model but I do remember the brand. Definitely makes a huge difference in my opinion. Usually balls are either massively over inflated or they're light and beach ball like. 

Beach ball might suit your team at the minute🤣🤣