SATURDAY 31 AUG

FA VASE

Bishop Lydeard    1-3         Bodmin Town

Bovey Tracey       3-1         Liskeard Athletic

Bristol Telephones            1-3         Falmouth Town

Cullompton Rangers          2-0         Newquay

Elburton Villa      1-5         Saltash United

IlfracombeTown  1-2         Torpoint Athletic

Ivybridge Town    4-1         Bishop Sutton (1-1 after 90 minutes)

Keynsham Town  0-1         Helston Athletic

Launceston          0-2         Cheddar

Porthleven           7-0         Callington Town

St Blazey              5-3         Godolphin Atlantic

Street    3-0         Crediton United

Wells City             5-3         Millbrook (2-2 after 90 mins)

Welton Rovers     0-4         Newton Abbot Spurs

KITCHEN KIT PENINSULA PREMIER EAST

Axminster Town  2-0         Torrington

Brixham               2-1         Elmore

Holsworthy          1-2         Honiton Town

Torridgeside        11-0       Stoke Gabriel

KITCHEN KIT PENINSULA PREMIER WEST

Camelford           7-3         Wendron United

Mousehole          2-2         Wadebridge Town

Penzance             5-2         St Dennis

Sticker                  0-6         St Austell

Camelford 7-3 Wendron

I know most interest will focus on some good results in the Vase, but this was a game worthy of mention. 

First half was an even affair with Wendron scoring early from a poorly defender corner and both teams looking to play but slightly fragmented. Ben (ex Camel) was solid in the middle for Wendron and Wendron probably edged the first half, helped by two Camels substitute due to injury in defence.  However just before half time Ed made a great run through the Wendron defence and calmly slotted home for a 1-1 half time. 

Whatever Reg said at half time worked and The Camels were much more competitive at the start of the 2nd half. Then in the space of 10 minutes Bobby scores an outstanding hattrick - whatever league you support you will not witness three better strikes. This was quickly followed by an Andy assist Josh finish and an Ed assist Andy finish 6-1 with the Camels cruising and Wendron totally shell shocked.  

Wendron composed themselves and got a second from a solo effort by their left wing (quality player) - although Luke will question his decision making to come out of goal. Nearly from the restart Camels scored again through a Gus finish (quality is eternal) and whilst the Camels were enjoying the three points Wendron scored with minutes to go 7-3. 

There is no doubt The Camels deserved the win and their lack of finishing has cost them 4 points so far this season so to score 7 is a boost. 

Wendron played decent football but 20 minutes cost them 5 goals - and perhaps that is something for them to consider - they will play against players who can turn a game in seconds and their game management must cope. 

The score flattered The Camels  but  quality wins games. 

Great bunch at Wendron and always friendly and supportive. 

Went up to Pennygillam for the Launceston v Cheddar clash.

Really friendly setting with the home club providing an al fresco tea hut experience to compliment the game time proceedings.

Cheddar brought a few friendlies on the team coach to keep the bar ticking and around a hundred of us witnessed the beginning of the epic road to Wembley.

As regards the football Cheddar pretty much thoroughly deserved the victory today. It finished 0-2 (0-1 at half time).

I'll add more detail to that dodgy 'Wheres The Tea Hut' blog I keep falling back to https://wherestheteahut.blogspot.com/

Launceston could not be faulted for effort and commitment but the visitors had a distinctive edge when it came to the key subjects such as threat and menace.

Got the impression a few punters were staying behind for the barbecue and entertainment Launceston had planned for the evening.

Like most people on here I feel the FA Vase is a great opportunity to celebrate proper honest to goodness grass roots football, long may it continue.

Thank you Launceston  for a nice afternoon & good luck to Cheddar football club for the rest of the competition.

Just looking at Dave's results post I've seen Helston won at Western League big-wigs Keynsham Town!

That's a tremendous scalp for a SWPL club and boosts everything Mr Massey is building down there.

Helston have their knockers but surely this is the stand out victory for a SWPL club in this round of the FA Vase.

Give the man credit for his matchday preparation, it certainly paid off.

Mousehole 2 Wadebridge 2 Went down behind the goal for the second half up at Mousehole to give the dogs a good run and bumped into my old Teammate Paul Clarke .He was looking well considering his age and weight 😂.Only problem was he was in the goal so I had to ask him to get out as the second half was about to start.To my astonishment he said he was playing 😳.I really did fear for him as Mousehole are a very good team and in my opinion will win that league. But  what do I know ?Leading 2-1 they held on to the eleventh minute of injury time before he was beaten 🤪.Can only say well done to that man for turning out for Wadebridge today at his age 🧟‍♂️and helping Wadebridge to an hard earned point .As for Mousehole they need to learn to place the ball in the net,for all their skill and fitness they do need to practice their finishing and learn to place the ball and not always blast it .There,s goalscorers and there’s footballers 😀.

Updated next round of the Vase ties after Saturday’s results :-

Second Qualifying Round : 14th September
Bodmin Town   v   Buckland Athletic

Camelford   v   Ashton & Backwell

Helston Athletic   v   Axminster Town

Ivybridge Town   v   Roman Glass

Radstock Town   v   Bovey Tracey

Saltash United   v   Porthleven

Sidmouth Town   v   Cullompton Rangers

Torpoint Athletic   v   Portishead

St Blazey   v   Falmouth Town

Wells City   v   Newton Abbot Spurs

Got to hand it to the likes of Penzance and Wadebridge - both bounced back after heavy midweek defeats.

There was a suggestion Penzance were possibly having a lot of players walking away after the 11-0 defeat but looking at the squads for the two games obviously not correct! 12 were there on Saturday to enjoy the win 😀🌈

Wyatt ✔️

T Buckley ✔️

Grant

Vercesi ✔️

Pengelly

Lawrence ✔️

Cleverly ✔️

Calleja-Stayne ✔️

Richards ✔️

Kewn ✔️

Oliver

S Buckley ✔️

George ✔️

Owen ✔️

Williams  ✔️

PLUS IN FOR SATURDAY

Bell

Matthews

Bailey

Didnt Wadebridge draw ?? 

5 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Got to hand it to the likes of Penzance and Wadebridge - both bounced back with wins after heavy midweek defeats.

There was a suggestion Penzance were possibly having a lot of players walking away after the 11-0 defeat but looking at the squads for the two games obviously not correct! 12 were there on Saturday to enjoy the win 😀🌈

Wyatt ✔️

T Buckley ✔️

Grant

Vercesi ✔️

Pengelly

Lawrence ✔️

Cleverly ✔️

Calleja-Stayne ✔️

Richards ✔️

Kewn ✔️

Oliver

S Buckley ✔️

George ✔️

Owen ✔️

Williams  ✔️

PLUS IN FOR SATURDAY

Bell

Matthews

Bailey

Didn’t Wadebridge draw ?? 

Just now, Dave Deacon said:

Quite right - duly amended. I bet it felt like a wn though, even though at the time conceding the late equaliser must have have knocked them back for a second! 👍

Gotta say was shocked to seen themget a draw after there mid week fiasco . But fair play to them great result as mousehole tipped to be top 2 . Looks like mousehole cant finish teams off . Out football most teams but they had 3 draws already . 

Porthleven 7 (Young 5, Fox, D Stidwell)
Callington Town 0

I think Charlie Young will probably not have scored five easier goals! However as every striker will tell you, it’s all about being in the right place at the right time with also some great support work. Oh, and some sloppy, suicidal defensive play from the opposition also helps!

Charlie opened the Porthleven account after only 4 minutes, volleying home from 6 yards when the Callington defence failed to deal effectively with a corner.

For the next twenty minutes or so the visitors were actually in the game and they will probably still be rueing the referee’s decision to not show the Port goally a red card. Did Ethan Fearn, on 21 minutes, grab the ball just outside his penalty area? Did it prevent Callington from a goalscoring opportunity? The ref decided, after consulting with the nearby assistant, to show a yellow, to the natural disappointment of the nearby Callington management.

Interestingly enough it sounds as if a similar situation occurred at Penzance and the result was a red for the offender! It’ll be interesting to hear what the difference was!

Anyway, back to this game at a very good looking Gala Parc.

Callington didn’t make anything of the resultant free-kick and when Charlie tapped in his second on 31 minutes, this game was over as a contest. Even more so when five minutes the Porthleven player wearing the number 9, made it three.

This is where the great support work came in handy. Both goals very similar with runs down each flank before crossing, low and hard, into the danger area where Charlie finished them off with a tap-in. The assists were from Ed Timmons down the right, the other from Dan Stidwell on the left.

Within seven minutes of restarting after the interval the Fishermen were 5-0 in front with that man Charlie Young still hogging all the goals.

On 56 minutes Dan Stidwell made another of those runs into the box to create another close range touch in – this time though it was Matt Fox who got on the scoresheet, but Charlie wasn’t far away!

Seven up came from Stidwell himself deservedly scoring and all in all completing a more satisfactory afternoon for this relatively new look Porthleven.

Interesting though, one of the ball retrievers late on in the match informed me that they’re playing without a recognised striker and so look out Charlie, your place is in doubt! 😁

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Got to hand it to the likes of Penzance and Wadebridge - both bounced back after heavy midweek defeats.

Wyatt ✔️

T Buckley ✔️

Grant

Vercesi ✔️

Pengelly

Lawrence ✔️

Cleverly ✔️

Calleja-Stayne ✔️

Richards ✔️

Kewn ✔️

Oliver

S Buckley ✔️

George ✔️

Owen ✔️

Williams  ✔️

PLUS IN FOR SATURDAY

Bell

Matthews

Bailey

Might be just a matter of time, they are actively seeking a new keeper

54 minutes ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

Lively FA Vase tie at Blaise Park, in which St Blazey beat Godolphin Atlantic 5-3. There were also two red cards in a chaotic final 10 minutes. Read all about it, as they say, on my blog at www.thecupfootballblogger.wordpress.com 

Good report & we all miss things when watching which shows how difficult it is for officials at times as they have it all around them. 

Hearing the St.Blazey player in question was sent off for Spitting ... How vulgar if correct. That is actually a criminal offence. 

Anyway great result for Bodmin winning away in the Vase, always tough to get a victory on the road in this competition. Good to see Darren 'Diva' Gilbert letting his hair down as well enjoying the day. 

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Hearing the St.Blazey player in question was sent off for Spitting ... How vulgar if correct. That is actually a criminal offence. 

Anyway great result for Bodmin winning away in the Vase, always tough to get a victory on the road in this competition. Good to see Darren 'Diva' Gilbert letting his hair down as well enjoying the day. 

The ref got this one wrong he did spit but not intentionally at our player, I know this as Cam told me himself it didn’t hit him nor did he think it was directed at him. 

1 hour ago, SID said:

The ref got this one wrong he did spit but not intentionally at our player, I know this as Cam told me himself it didn’t hit him nor did he think it was directed at him. 

How do you get that wrong ?? You either see someone spit at someone or not. Odd for a ref to come to that conclusion. 

On 31/08/2019 at 23:55, hansome dan said:

Mousehole 2 Wadebridge 2 Went down behind the goal for the second half up at Mousehole to give the dogs a good run and bumped into my old Teammate Paul Clarke .He was looking well considering his age and weight 😂.Only problem was he was in the goal so I had to ask him to get out as the second half was about to start.To my astonishment he said he was playing 😳.I really did fear for him as Mousehole are a very good team and in my opinion will win that league. But  what do I know ?Leading 2-1 they held on to the eleventh minute of injury time before he was beaten 🤪.Can only say well done to that man for turning out for Wadebridge today at his age 🧟‍♂️and helping Wadebridge to an hard earned point .As for Mousehole they need to learn to place the ball in the net,for all their skill and fitness they do need to practice their finishing and learn to place the ball and not always blast it .There,s goalscorers and there’s footballers 😀.

Watched the game on Saturday Hansome dan and I think you summed it up, FINISHING has cost Mousehole 6pts already in my opinion. Didn't take chances against Falmouth, let them back into the game and could of lost it, should of buried Porthleven before the last minute penalty and even though they went 2 nil down against Wadebridge they had ample opportunity's to win the game by a comfortable margin.

The football is lovely to watch and when they click they tear teams apart, however lower teams in the league are going to come and PARK THE BUS, Mousehole need to find a ruthless side to their game and put teams to bed early and not give them hope of getting anything out of the fixture.

I still expect them to finish in the Top 3 this season, are they planning on going up to the next tier?