Cornwall Football Forum

Too Many Games in August

A contentious subject for sure, but why are we 5 games into the season before August has even finished when we only have 15 teams in the League?  At present, one club is due to finish their fixtures by 24 March (with 3 consecutive weekends without a game fixtured in November and February respectively and 2 Saturdays free in March) - 'what about compensating for bad weather in the winter' and 'provision for cup games' I hear you cry?  Well, from 24 March you still have 8 weekends + midweek remaining till the middle of May when arguably the weather is a lot better to get your postponed fixtures in and as for the Cup games, I'm guessing you won't play in the Cup on 3 consecutive weekends in 2 of the months?  The upshot is, August is a tough time for Clubs; holidays, Weddings, cricket, family time, the list is endless and to get players available Saturday, Tuesday for 5 out of the first 6 weeks of the season for me is not helping Clubs, management and players at all, let alone I'm guessing Referees as well?  I understand fixturing is a thankless task when combined with the other Leagues etc but I would just like to get other folks opinion on what is I know an emotive subject?? 

4 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

A contentious subject for sure, but why are we 5 games into the season before August has even finished when we only have 15 teams in the League?  At present, one club is due to finish their fixtures by 24 March (with 3 consecutive weekends without a game fixtured in November and February respectively and 2 Saturdays free in March) - 'what about compensating for bad weather in the winter' and 'provision for cup games' I hear you cry?  Well, from 24 March you still have 8 weekends + midweek remaining till the middle of May when arguably the weather is a lot better to get your postponed fixtures in and as for the Cup games, I'm guessing you won't play in the Cup on 3 consecutive weekends in 2 of the months?  The upshot is, August is a tough time for Clubs; holidays, Weddings, cricket, family time, the list is endless and to get players available Saturday, Tuesday for 5 out of the first 6 weeks of the season for me is not helping Clubs, management and players at all, let alone I'm guessing Referees as well?  I understand fixturing is a thankless task when combined with the other Leagues etc but I would just like to get other folks opinion on what is I know an emotive subject?? 

And then you get them pesky sailors who don't start until weeks after rest of their leagues 🤣🤣

Does seem odd in this supposedly modern era when we all hear and read about players welfare and burn out of youngsters etc

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Get the games in early so you can cancel in the winter would be the thinking I s'pose. 

Makes some sense to me. 

But what if, shock, you have a mild winter? Teams sit around kicking their heels from mid March with no football? Fixturin in such a small League should be more thought out is my point, 5 games in August, bonkers!!

56 minutes ago, BAGMAN said:

But what if, shock, you have a mild winter? Teams sit around kicking their heels from mid March with no football? Fixturin in such a small League should be more thought out is my point, 5 games in August, bonkers!!

Start later, September like we used too.

A bit more of a break would be welcome, we had 5 weeks between finishing and starting training which IS bonkers. 

To be honest a early start in August suits us, pitch is in a good condition and a early finish in the spring allows groundsman to start work on the pitch in plenty of time.  For those running a club who spend not just every weekend putting games on but everything during the week to goes with it a long break is much sought after. We are in a situation now where some teams are starting pre season training before some clubs have even finished their season. 

1 hour ago, Richard Chown said:

To be honest a early start in August suits us, pitch is in a good condition and a early finish in the spring allows groundsman to start work on the pitch in plenty of time.  For those running a club who spend not just every weekend putting games on but everything during the week to goes with it a long break is much sought after. We are in a situation now where some teams are starting pre season training before some clubs have even finished their season. 

That's because you like a start in August - surely a September start gives everybody a much-needed break from it all?? What about all the other activities that go on throughout August that keep our families sweet for when the season really kicks in?

3 hours ago, Mr.green said:

Isn't it usually the case of Nov is 2nd and 3rd rounds of the senior cup? I maybe mistaken however.

Senior Cup Round Dates 2019-20 Season

Saturday 14th Sept Cornwall Senior Cup Round 1
Saturday 5th Oct Cornwall Senior Cup Round 2
Saturday 9th Nov Cornwall Senior Cup Round 3 
Saturday 4th Jan Cornwall Senior Cup Round 4 
Saturday 8th Feb Cornwall Senior Cup Quarter Finals
Tuesday 3rd March Cornwall Senior Cup Semi-Final
Wednesday 4th March Cornwall Senior Cup Semi-Final
Tuesday 17th March Reserve date for Cornwall Senior Cup Semi-Finals 
Wednesday 18th March Reserve date for Cornwall Senior Cup Semi-Final
Easter Monday 13th April Cornwall Senior Cup Final

Why not expand fixtures by reverting to old system of four groups of four playing home and away derbies in early season to decide cup semi-finalists ? This used to be the system in the 1970s, probably the last time the Combo had as few as 16 teams in it. You now have too few games, thanks to FA interference. Again, propose rule change at AGM.. Why do Culdrose get away with daft fixturing, even though they now play civilians anyway ? Because they are a Helston club, aided and abetted by Mr Roberts, of course. 

21 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Why not expand fixtures by reverting to old system of four groups of four playing home and away derbies in early season to decide cup semi-finalists ? This used to be the system in the 1970s, probably the last time the Combo had as few as 16 teams in it. You now have too few games, thanks to FA interference. Again, propose rule change at AGM.. Why do Culdrose get away with daft fixturing, even though they now play civilians anyway ? Because they are a Helston club, aided and abetted by Mr Roberts, of course. 

Has anybody ever said you bore the life out of everybody with  your continual monologue relating to the perceived deficiencies of John Roberts? Tell you what, get your verbal diatribe back down to St Just and sort out that mess. You really will die a sad and lonely man.

Go ahead administrators and block me and remove this thread - but someone needs to have a chat will that sad man

52 minutes ago, le boss said:

Has anybody ever said you bore the life out of everybody with  your continual monologue relating to the perceived deficiencies of John Roberts? Tell you what, get your verbal diatribe back down to St Just and sort out that mess. You really will die a sad and lonely man.

Go ahead administrators and block me and remove this thread - but someone needs to have a chat will that sad man

Who is this? Steve?

Please don't block le boss: I emphatically support his right to display his limitations. I don't know him, but he evidently doesn't like me. There's no accounting for taste and he's entitled not to have any. 

The Combo's previous only ever-present club, the so-called "mess" he refers to, has made rather a good start with 26 goals and four victories in their opening games, all away, so well done to all St Just's players and management. It's a joy to have encountered decent league officers, both during the brief flirtation with the St Piran League and now in the Trelawney League, who are even-handed and just trying to keep local football going. St Just will return to their previous status, perhaps in four or five years. 

I won't bore le boss with a historical analysis beyond his comprehension, but merely reflect that the glorious performance of the retired plumber and Flora Dance drummer under debate over several decades is significantly responsible for what the once-great Combo League has now become. 

If you seek Mr Roberts's legacy, look around you.

Nevertheless, it's nice to see Pendeen and  Porthleven Reserves doing so well. Best wishes to both.

• 2 weeks later...