Cornwall Football Forum

Noble spot-on for Hammers

(Taken from the sky sports website)

Liverpool's stuttering season continued as Mark Noble's last minute spot-kick earned West Ham a 1-0 win at Upton Park.

Jamie Carragher brought down Freddie Ljungberg in the 94th minute, and Noble kept his cool as Liverpool slipped three points behind Merseyside rivals Everton in the race for fourth place.

West Ham had the better of the first half with Noble coming within inches of scoring when his direct free-kick rattled the crossbar after a deflection off Steve Finnan.

Liverpool dominated the second period with Robert Green fantastically denying Fernando Torres with a smart low save, and Lucas Leiva twice coming close from long-range.

The West Ham backline defended heroically, and after a superb late counter attack Ljungberg was brought down by Carragher - and the Hammers stole the points.

Mishap

Former Hammer, Yossi Benayoun had the first chance when he almost took advantage of a mishap from Green. The goalkeeper's slice was worked to Dirk Kuyt and then Benayoun, but his chip drifted over the crossbar.

From a relatively promising start for the visitors, it was the hosts who then gathered momentum as the first half unravelled.

Carlton Cole helped create West Ham's first genuine opening, midway through the opening half.

The striker flicked on George McCartney's long throw, Liverpool were seized by panic as Lee Bowyer tussled but Luis Boa Morte rushed his shot and blazed over when the ball fell to him.

The hosts got even closer in the 26th minute when a free-kick was awarded on the left flank for Carragher's foul on Cole. Noble took the set-piece, which was glanced by Finnan and cannoned off the crossbar.

Cole had a sight of goal in stoppage-time in the opening period but Benayoun slid in to block and Liverpool went into the break level.

Ironic cheers

Kuyt created the first chance of the second half, three minutes in, when he found room on the right flank and drove a cross into the danger area, but Harry Kewell could not wrap his foot around the ball to finish.

Matthew Upson then flashed a backpass right across Green's goal, which the goalkeeper had to watch drift wide.

At the other end, Boa Morte fluffed his finish when Noble's free-kick was headed into his path. Then came the ironic cheers for Boa Morte's departure, with Bowyer also coming off for Matthew Etherington and Dean Ashton, both back from injury.

Liverpool midfielder Lucas came on for Kewell and he was just wide with his finish after releasing Torres down the right and getting on the end of the cross.

Lucas also went wide when he got on the end of a driving run from Gerrard.

With injury-time just about over, Carragher brought down Ljungberg in the penalty area and Noble converted the spot-kick.

Sorry folks but i just had to bearing in mind that it is the first time in about 12 attempts that we have tried to beat the mighty REDS, (Yes i know you won the cup) :D

Just thought i would add to this, In a poll on Sky sports 54.6% thought Liverpool would once again wipe the floor with the Hammers 38.3% (including myself) said The Irons would win at last and 7.1% thought a draw was on the cards, Well it was until 90+ minutes the young Noble fella stepped up and tucked away a nice penalty. :clapper::yahoo::clapper::yahoo:

For those fans who were leaving the ground early (And there were a few) i bet your gutted you missed it :( Remember the games not over until the final whistle is blown

Yes Cockerkneeboy, a great result for the Hammers,

I have great respect for Liverpool. My wife is a cop fan & I said to her last night it is a great feeling for West Ham to beat the mighty Liverpool,

I only saw the highlights but I thought that in the end the Hammers deserved the points.

Hammers :SM_carton_y::drink::thumbsup::yahoo::c: :c:

You should have sat through 90 mins of it then!! It was a dreadful game!

West Ham wanted it more, Liverpool did more pressing in the first 20 secs of the second half than they did for the entire first half!

Perhaps we could have had a penalty but I thought that might have been a bit harsh, defo pen at the other end.