Cornwall Football Forum

Official statement from Penzance AFC

19 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Really pivotal point about player loyalty John.

Without taking anything away from Mr Mead surely the really pivital point is how did a club of Penzances stature, allow themselves to get in to the position they are in.
There is a suggestion that finance is an issue, which in turn begs the question why ?
Penzance is in a holiday area that attracts a turnover of thousands of people during the summer, many looking for somewhere to spend their hard earned cash.
A weekly bash in the clubhouse may help financially without too much effort, not something available to many clubs.
Just a thought.

18 minutes ago, We Two said:

Without taking anything away from Mr Mead surely the really pivital point is how did a club of Penzances stature, allow themselves to get in to the position they are in.
There is a suggestion that finance is an issue, which in turn begs the question why ?
Penzance is in a holiday area that attracts a turnover of thousands of people during the summer, many looking for somewhere to spend their hard earned cash.
A weekly bash in the clubhouse may help financially without too much effort, not something available to many clubs.
Just a thought.

Very easy to say...not so easy when it comes down to it. Running a club is not a cakewalk. 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Very easy to say...not so easy when it comes down to it. Running a club is not a cakewalk. 

That "weekly bash without too much effort", requires a concept that will attract people, planning, promotion and advertising, booking acts/DJ, hiring of relevant equipment,selling of tickets and paid staff to run the event (lack of volunteers, especially of the skilled and reliable type). And the risk is always that nobody turns up and the whole thing makes a loss. Don't know if Newquay still run the donkey derbies at Mount Wise at the summer months, suspect that it takes a lot of planning and adhering to various health & safety regulations if it is still going.

Social clubs, just like the football clubs they are attached to, are in perilous straights and in danger of going the same way as local pubs. Most football club bars don't open outside of match days anymore, the era of them being filled for darts, pool, euchre and social events is long gone. Even having Sky and BT Sports available to lure people in is becoming increasingly expensive . A pub near me knocked it on the head after being charged over £26,000 a year for Sky Sports alone.

Doesn't anybody do anything without getting paid nowadays, you get what you reap.
We can't quote the involvement of the football club or what if anything they get out of it, but in the St Austell Voice recently there was  a report of over £13,000 raised for The Merlin Centre, The local surgery, and another that escapes our memory on and around the grounds of Sticker Football Club in an event run entirely by UNPAID volunteers.
Come on lads, it's possible if the what's in it for me attitude is overcome, and it can be if the right people are involved.

14 minutes ago, We Two said:

Doesn't anybody do anything without getting paid nowadays, you get what you reap.
We can't quote the involvement of the football club or what if anything they get out of it, but in the St Austell Voice recently there was  a report of over £13,000 raised for The Merlin Centre, The local surgery, and another that escapes our memory on and around the grounds of Sticker Football Club in an event run entirely by UNPAID volunteers.
Come on lads, it's possible if the what's in it for me attitude is overcome, and it can be if the right people are involved.

The short answer to that is "no." Every football club is decrying the lack of volunteers, as are most charities and organisations. Are you really saying that a local surgery is run entirely by volunteers?

18 minutes ago, We Two said:

Fund raising for a charity is a completely different scenario to the every day running of a club.

The beer trade is in serious decline, when you can go to a supermarket and buy beer for pennies per pint, sit at home and have a smoke at the same time clubs/pubs cannot compete. 

Sky and BT are not the attractions they once were, most people have it at home these days, the punters now trip around to their mates house now.

56 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Are you really saying that a local surgery is run entirely by volunteers?

Had to read that twice to be sure of what you had said W.O.T.P. what we said is below

58 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

on and around the grounds of Sticker Football Club in an event run entirely by UNPAID volunteers.

Can't see any mention of the surgery being run by volunteers
The event was run by volunteers and the proceeds distributed  to others, seems like a case of helping others rather than being all self.
The easy bit is to sit back and find all sorts of excuses as to why it won't work and why you can't do it, but if you don't try you are never going to know anyway.
We have just done a little research and phoned a paticipant in the event who says the football clubs income was an entirely seperate income taken over the bar and not included in the £13,000 that was distributed.
They also said the Sticker Rally website is a mine of information.

13 minutes ago, We Two said:

Had to read that twice to be sure of what you had said W.O.T.P. what we said is below

I never said that.

Very easy to say this and that when it comes to running a club.

When you can spend upwards of 12 hours behind a bar (volunteer) you sing another tune.

I've been running our club for over 30 years and it's never been tougher to generate income.

11 minutes ago, We Two said:

The event was run by volunteers and the proceeds distributed  to others, seems like a case of helping others rather than being all self.
The easy bit is to sit back and find all sorts of excuses as to why it won't work and why you can't do it, but if you don't try you are never going to know anyway.
We have just done a little research and phoned a paticipant in the event who says the football clubs income was an entirely seperate income taken over the bar and not included in the £13,000 that was distributed.
They also said the Sticker Rally website is a mine of information.

Sorry, misread it. It is for the local surgery, not running it. Had visions of enthusiastic locals carrying out examinations and diagnosis. :o

50 minutes ago, FootieMan said:

Unfortunately until the dead wood at the top gets replaced pz are going to continue to purely exist from one bad decision to the next. Such a shame 

The problem with this Footie Man is that what if nothing replaces the dead wood and, if you will excuse the metaphor, permanent de-forestation takes place and there is no football club at all.

If you believe in market forces, then I guess this is the logical end state. If nobody wants the product (no supporters), then the supply ceases to become viable and goes out of business (the football club folds).

On 21/08/2019 at 11:54, Joe Slovo said:

Is this the official line from the club regarding the previous chairman from Pz? As is was my understanding from reading elsewhere on here that Mr Mead is not part of Pz any longer?

From an outsider looking in, can see it’s hard work running and maintaining community interest in a club. Good on all that contribute in some way 

19 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

If you believe in market forces, then I guess this is the logical end state. If nobody wants the product (no supporters), then the supply ceases to become viable and goes out of business (the football club folds).

Exactly the point, so isn't it worth trying something different to help with the finances and generate another source/type of income for your club.
Diversify and bring paying punters through the gate for reasons other than football if necessary.
Unlike some areas we wouldn't say Sticker is a hotspot of tourism, but we can't help admiring their ingenuity.

2 hours ago, FootieMan said:

Unfortunately until the dead wood at the top gets replaced pz are going to continue to purely exist from one bad decision to the next. Such a shame 

Looks like a lot of dead wood on the field from what I saw on YouTube against Saltash !! Poor buggers in for a very long season, always easy to blame others players must shoulder responsibility along with Manager 

4 hours ago, We Two said:

The Merlin centre is a Charity. Football clubs are not. People  will pull out the stops for good causes but not to see their hard earned contributions  spent on over rated prima donnas  for 90 minutes  once a week.  I support a lot of charities  and local  football  in  my area, but I draw the line at helping to line someone  else's pocket. 

1 hour ago, Clubman said:

The Merlin centre is a Charity. Football clubs are not. People  will pull out the stops for good causes but not to see their hard earned contributions  spent on over rated prima donnas  for 90 minutes  once a week.

Well said Clubman, couldn't agree more, so well done the football club who helps to raise £13,000 for charity and allows their facilities to be used for the purpose.
For those in the we can't camp, try shortening the word  can't to can, you never know you may get a pleasant surprise, people in general are responsive to those who try to help themselves rather than blaming every man and his dog for their situation.

39 minutes ago, Joe Slovo said:

Footie Man, dead wood? That's laughable coming from a 'dead manager' who criticises everything, does nothing, volunteers nothing and wouldn't put in a penny. We know who you are. I don't expect to see you back very soon. From Charlie, but in a personal capacity. 

Gotcha now! This one is personal, the original was professional 👍

John Mead is a top bloke and clubman , has done lots for local football  on various  committee's  , In my playing  days  most top players in the Penwith  area  wanted to play for Penzance  , but also there were lots more clubs back then in junior  football , so the better players could move up and wanted to  . Penzance  had three sides the first team , the combo team and the 3rd team , I played the last season of the 3rd team , John came out of retirement  to play in goal , that was one of favourite  memories   being able  to play on Penlee under lights , good crowds banter  you felt part of something  .  That was the club  of the area  , shame football has moved on less teams , less supporters  , smaller group of players to pick from , volunteers  getting less or more put on . More money to pay before a ball is kicked  , less sponsors  around , weekend work  , ground rents goining up . There is no magic trick to change things  . Good luck to Penzance and all clubs  and just  remember  instead of putting the boot in or coming  up with they should do this get involved  and try to help to change things ,  when teams ,clubs fold they don't come back . I know from personal  experience  .

2 hours ago, Joe Slovo said:

Footie Man, dead wood? That's laughable coming from a 'dead manager' who criticises everything, does nothing, volunteers nothing and wouldn't put in a penny. We know who you are. I don't expect to see you back very soon. From Charlie, but in a personal capacity. 

Well you've now made it public knowledge you've got a feud with your ex manager! 

Daft Deadwood 😂

3 hours ago, We Two said:

Well said Clubman, couldn't agree more, so well done the football club who helps to raise £13,000 for charity and allows their facilities to be used for the purpose.
For those in the we can't camp, try shortening the word  can't to can, you never know you may get a pleasant surprise, people in general are responsive to those who try to help themselves rather than blaming every man and his dog for their situation.

You really are naive if you think any club is in the can't do that club.

Nobody turns down any additional income these days.

If you have some new different ideas on new income streams let me know.

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You really are naive if you think any club is in the can't do that club.

Nobody turns down any additional income these days.

If you have some new different ideas on new income streams let me know.

Sift through the above posts Older and draw your own conclusions about how you could think beyond the football scene, think outside the box and use your facilities to prosper.
A fun soft ball cricket match Men v Women, Boys v Girls, Sponsored walk, Sponsored run, Childrens sports, ( popular at this time of year when parents try to keep the kids happy ) no need for big financial outlays, sell a few burgers and beer
Real Ale Festival, Themed event involve charity on a shared basis, etc,etc, etc.
If naivety is a problem, it's with the can't do brigade who will already be saying, thats all very well but where are the people to run such events going to come from excuse.
The whole idea is to step outside of the seemingly insular world of football clubs, and involve people of another ilk who probably think that football clubs are only interested in football and nothing else. they could be the new basis of your volunteers
Any childrens event by its very nature will involve parents who maybe otherwise would never think about entering a football club.
What an opportunity to impress and win new friends or even volunteers.
There is no guarantee that anything will be a success, but people are more likely to have a sympathetic attitude towards a club trying to help themselves rather than one going around with the begging bowl looking for sponsors.
Good luck if you give it a try, but don't complain if you don't

55 minutes ago, We Two said:

Sift through the above posts Older and draw your own conclusions about how you could think beyond the football scene, think outside the box and use your facilities to prosper.
A fun soft ball cricket match Men v Women, Boys v Girls, Sponsored walk, Sponsored run, Childrens sports, ( popular at this time of year when parents try to keep the kids happy ) no need for big financial outlays, sell a few burgers and beer
Real Ale Festival, Themed event involve charity on a shared basis, etc,etc, etc.
If naivety is a problem, it's with the can't do brigade who will already be saying, thats all very well but where are the people to run such events going to come from excuse.
The whole idea is to step outside of the seemingly insular world of football clubs, and involve people of another ilk who probably think that football clubs are only interested in football and nothing else. they could be the new basis of your volunteers
Any childrens event by its very nature will involve parents who maybe otherwise would never think about entering a football club.
There is no guarantee that anything will be a success, but people are more likely to have a sympathetic attitude towards a club trying to help themselves rather than one going around with the begging bowl looking for sponsors.

Great post summer youth activities would be a big draw but unfortunately these old people at clubs don’t want kids around . And probably there lies the main problem as kids bring parents and parents volunteer .

12 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

We Two that's a good list of fund raising ideas. Would require the players helping to organise them! My experience is that very few would!

The hope would be that the people you are catering for with your event, ( i.e. if children, involve their parents ) put in a shift.
Groups of parents will usually help with anything that involves their siblings and gets them away from the goggle box, expenditure is minimal, and who knows what benefits await the football club if they are seen to be helping their community.

1 minute ago, 6times said:

but unfortunately these old people at clubs don’t want kids around

They are the future of their clubs and are never too young to be introduced to a clubs enviroment.

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Sorry we two, nothing there that a lot of clubs have done and still do.

Ourselves we embrace other income streams by utilizing our land like others now do, beer and burgers, supporting charity events etc is all part of  a clubs portfolio...not new.

3 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Sorry we two, nothing there that a lot of clubs have done and still do.

Ourselves we embrace other income streams by utilizing our land like others now do, beer and burgers, supporting charity events etc is all part of  a clubs portfolio...not new.

Great to see that you have the necessary help to put on such events Older, if the same help is available all season no one should need to spend upwards of 12 hours behind the bar.
Sorry that none of our suggestions are new ideas for your club, you must have had a really busy time if you have tried them all.
However judging from the posts above not all clubs make the best of their facilities and those who haven't may even try some of the suggestions offered.
Our original post was made with the intention of offering ideas to those who thought it may benefit their club with very little outlay, if it's been done before and didn't bring the required results, don't do it again.
You asked for suggestions, we gave some, you've done it all before, nothing new offered but at least we tried.

St day and wendron probably the best youth sections around , you don’t hear much from them in term of lack of volunteers or adult players for that matter .

Rather than sponsors , young players and their subs etc bring money in . The beer culture after games has long gone now these older generations running clubs have to wake up and change there attitudes, only then will there be a way forward , 

23 minutes ago, We Two said:

Great to see that you have the necessary help to put on such events Older, if the same help is available all season no one should need to spend upwards of 12 hours behind the bar.
Sorry that none of our suggestions are new ideas for your club, you must have had a really nothing new offered but at least we tried.

And thank you for that.

2 hours ago, 6times said:

St day and wendron probably the best youth sections around , you don’t hear much from them in term of lack of volunteers or adult players for that matter .

Rather than sponsors , young players and their subs etc bring money in . The beer culture after games has long gone now these older generations running clubs have to wake up and change there attitudes, only then will there be a way forward , 

They will also have to change their attitude to enrolling people to help and abolish their little close circle. No one will help if they have the feeling of not being wanted within their enclave.

2 hours ago, 6times said:

Considering their location, Wendrons clubhouse is actually open every day of the week now with pool and darts teams there every night of the week, poker and Euchre also. The large room is also utilised as a function room and is used on a weekly basis for these type of events like weddings, christenings, birthday parties and even wakes. And that is with little advertising and word of mouth being the main way of getting word out. With a few dedicated helpers it can work, especially if it can work in a rather remote location like Wendron.

Events like the West Cornwall Motor Show and Sharon Wood Tournament obviously help towards bringing in money for running costs during the off season. The Cider and Ale festival too. A little imagination and dedication and these things can happen.

On 22/08/2019 at 15:01, NTforever said:

Is this the official line from the club regarding the previous chairman from Pz? As is was my understanding from reading elsewhere on here that Mr Mead is not part of Pz any longer?

From an outsider looking in, can see it’s hard work running and maintaining community interest in a club. Good on all that contribute in some way 

I did mention in the "chat" with the author of the blog that it was not up to me to comment on behalf of Penzance AFC - or words to that effect - when mentioning the now departed ex-chairman. I am just a life member and groundsman. My thoughts are purely personal.

All of this bringing up the Mousehole thing!

Just seems to me, why not sling mud to deflect the Penzance crisis after their saviour turned out to be a Joker.

We all knew that PZ approached Mousehole about a merger this season. Why try to dress it up as anything else. Sort out your mess in private & stop trying to stir up the pot! 

That boat has sailed if you know what I mean.

33 minutes ago, burt said:

Just seems to me, why not sling mud to deflect the Penzance crisis after their saviour turned out to be a Joker.

We all knew that PZ approached Mousehole about a merger this season. Why try to dress it up as anything else. Sort out your mess in private & stop trying to stir up the pot! 

Ok. If you say so it must be right!

I don't knowingly state mistruths but also do not profess that I am any longer aware of everything which happens at Pz AFC.

It's good to know that there are others who still hold the Club in high esteem.

On 22/08/2019 at 15:50, leedsunited said:

Looks like a lot of dead wood on the field from what I saw on YouTube against Saltash !! Poor buggers in for a very long season, always easy to blame others players must shoulder responsibility along with Manager 

Does that mean  that Mr Gilbert  will take the blame for Bodmins  poor  start.  Not in Leeds mind 😂😉

On 26/08/2019 at 22:13, cornishteddyboy said:

Should never have been called an Official Statement.

Just a ground-hopper's blog mixed in with a person chat.

Leave it at that.

You're right, CTB. I wrote the piece, and it's clear that neither John nor I ever described it as an official statement. And it's a bit off-topic, considering the state of things, but I really bloody object to being called a GROUNDHOPPER! There's a whole host of other stories at http://www.aseasoninhelston.com/

On 23/08/2019 at 07:49, 6times said:

Great post summer youth activities would be a big draw but unfortunately these old people at clubs don’t want kids around . And probably there lies the main problem as kids bring parents and parents volunteer .

6 times,  maybe it is time for "kids" to step up to  the mark and put the same effort  into local  football  that us oldies still do.

On 26/08/2019 at 21:01, burt said:

Maybe your  attitude  is why the Seagulls  are despised  locally.