Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall FA are delighted to have appointed Lee Swabey as the new Referee Development Officer

Cornwall FA are delighted to have appointed Lee Swabey as the new Referee Development Officer. 

Lee is a Level 1- Football League Referee who regularly takes charge of EFL League 1 and League 2 fixtures. His journey began when he was just 17, completing the FA Referees course with Devon FA and building his experience officiating in the DJM and Plymouth & West Devon Football Leagues. He then progressed into the Devon League as a Level 4 Referee (now the South West Peninsula League), spending a year at his level before being promoted to Level 3. 

Lee is part of the FA Core as a referee developer, supporting referees from across Devon and Cornwall. The FA CORE (Centre of Refereeing Excellence) is an emerging and exciting refereeing structure that aims to provide an identified number of referees at a variety of levels with quality training, education and development opportunities delivered both centrally and across a number of regional locations. Having the experience of working within this programme will be very beneficial in Lees’ new role here at the County FA. 

Here is what Lee said about joining the team at Cornwall FA; 

“My background is in sports coaching and physical education, when this role became available I thought it would be a great opportunity to put my passion for refereeing and my experience in coaching together to help support Referees across Cornwall.

I am looking forward to getting to know the referees, to be able to support them and get to know what they like so I can help them stay in the game for as long as possible. I’d like to hear from as many referees as possible to really understand how I can support and develop them in my new role along with giving them a voice to help shape referring in Cornwall in the future.” 

Dawn Aberdeen, Chief Executive of Cornwall FA had this to say;

“We are delighted to welcome Lee to our team at Cornwall FA.  As a referee that has achieved and is currently operating at a very high level I am sure he will be a massive ambassador to refereeing in Cornwall and with his passion for supporting and developing referees will become a great asset to our referee workforce in the future.”

You can get in touch with Lee at lee.swabey@cornwallfa.com 

http://www.cornwallfa.com/news/2019/aug/20/new-referee-development-officer-joins-county-fa