Cornwall Football Forum

Why were we worried!!!????!!

A lot of people have suggested lately, and me and Deacs have even mentioned it on our podcast show about the concerns of the leagues amalgamating and the relevant gap in standards between the two leagues? I think after yesterday’s results we can all stop worrying about big scorelines and one sided matches etc which to be honest you’ll get in any league in the country! The West teams from last season more than gave their Premier opponents a game, think these results yesterday proved that Cornish Football is competitive and in decent shape 👍👌 Be interested to know your opinions?

Helston 1-2 Liskeard

Launceston 0-2 Wendron

St.Dennis 2-2 Falmouth

St.Austell 2-0 Porthleven 

Callington 0-5 Wadebridge

Mark - I noticed you didn’t include that game above but it is slightly different, Mousehole are a real quality outfit with exceptional players from 1 to 11 and the bench. 

Camelford travelled with 12 (had 24 available for mid week game), but those 12 worked their socks off and were solid in formation all game. 

Mousehole play very neat football, short passes / interchanges and then bang out to their two lightening wingers and overload with runners. 

Despite Mousehole having the share of play they actually created few real chances in the first half and Camelford creating better chances - scoring (Leighton) from a corner to lead 1-0 at half time. Mousehole’s attackers being caught (correctly) offside time after time which was frustrating for them. 

Second half started the same but then Mousehole upped the tempo - helped by the Camels losing the influential Matt at HT on his road to recovery.  Mousehole were quicker and boy are they fit!! Their first goal was there right winger cutting in and drilling a ball in from a close angle, followed shortly by the left winger and midfielder interchanging and setting up their big number 9 for a simple goal (sorry I don’t know their names). Their third was a decent shot from the no9 from the edge of the box and it looked game over. 

However, Camelford found some energy and started catching Mousehole - for a team managed by Jake and with Ben as a coach they are vulnerable at the back - mainly because their full backs play like wingers. Camels (Ed) pulled one back with a dipping shot that swerved just as the immaculate Cory was about to palm it. 3-2 with 5 minutes to go and Mousehole actually started to panic a bit - not many teams are going to make that happen. Mousehole saw the game out and were deserved winners but the Camels will take a lot from the game. 

Mousehole are a very good outfit and nice people at the club with a lovely playing surface. 

Thought all three officials were excellent and only one yellow - for me not a yellow the Camels player played the ball just the Mousehole winger was too quick. 

If you want to see step overs / back heels / raking diagonal balls and neat interchanges, along with no moaning - £5 to watch Mousehole is good value. 

Well done both teams. 

Cheers Bob, well done to Ed as always mate 👌 yeah watched Mousehole at Bodmin last week, agree with all that!! Think that same 9 had the hat-trick at Priory Park. Didn’t add your result as I was just trying to compare the west teams from last season against Premier teams. As someone said probably too early but encouraging to see all the same. Hope it’s all a success, the league restructuring, watched a St.Piran league game yesterday and there was some lovely football from both teams. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Sure that still applies now? Saltash 9-0 against a step 7 side of last year, and Helston 11-0 against a step 7 side of last season...

My prediction still applies.

Saltash, Mousehole, Helston and maybe Bodmin or Falmouth (dependent on how they both settle over the next month or so), will be miles ahead of everyone else. Saltash with 30 goal difference already after 5 games is somewhat indicative of that prediction.