Cornwall Football Forum

Future of the County Sunday Cup.

To date only 5 clubs have signed up for the County Sunday Cup.

Therefore quite simply the competition cannot and will not run on such a low number.

Any club outside of the '5' keen to play are reminded that they have until the end of the month to come forward and speak to Claire at the County Office.

The Competitions Committee will meet in the meantime to devise a alternative competition should the Sunday Cup in it's present form cease to function.  

I cant believe how sunday football has gone down the pan as quick as it has. It use to be really competitive  with teams like blue anchor, famous firikin, colan,luxulyan, packhorse along with others. Real shame. 

Further you go up country the sunday league is mega up there. Ultra competitive loads of teams. Real shame. I can see there being no Sunday league soon. 

On 17/08/2019 at 09:33, cornish leg end said:

I cant believe how sunday football has gone down the pan as quick as it has. It use to be really competitive  with teams like blue anchor, famous firikin, colan,luxulyan, packhorse along with others. Real shame. 

Further you go up country the sunday league is mega up there. Ultra competitive loads of teams. Real shame. I can see there being no Sunday league soon. 

I think we're a special case here in Cornwall. We have a long, thin county. Travelling is awkward. In the Sunday leagues that I've played in around Up Country, there tends to be clusters of teams in big towns with good transport links in between.

So I do wonder why the massive metropolis city of Truro has no Sunday league team at all. Falmouth has three! What is going on?

Add to this Cornish problem that nowadays, people are less inclined to playing football and you'll find that a county like Cornwall is the first to show significant signs of collapse.

However, I know from first hand that the Cornish FA are making big attempts to revive the Sunday league. The Cornwall Sunday League AGM is on Wednesday September 4th at the Dracaena Centre in Falmouth at 7pm. If any team is interested in joining or even just playing cup matches, please urge them to attend.

Apathy is killing grass roots football. The people that are still running clubs or playing the game are as passionate as ever.

How do we get more clubs playing Sunday League?

Last year there were 7 clubs in the league. There are over half a million people living in Cornwall. If each club has a squad of 30 players then that's 0.042% of the population play football on a Sunday. Or to simplify, one in every 2,380 people. Or to simplify even further, 1 person in a village the size of St Teath plays Sunday football.

We all need to get people playing. The Sunday League has hit rock bottom. Lets not let it get any lower!

Please help!

Contact me (Cam) on 07456 993 191 if you have a club that wants to join or if you have any questions/ideas.

Well said Cam.

Will try and get someone from the County FA to attend the meeting.

The geography of the County is a problem, plus the changing work patterns.

However it has n'ot stopped the 'Vets' league from being fairly well supported, maybe the over 35's are keener in getting out bed on a Sunday morning !!

Well said Cam, good points, and good luck Dave. Think Sunday Leagues are bigger up country because that’s all some players play. Same in Scotland. Blokes prefer to go and watch footy on a Saturday and are season ticket holders etc and play on Sundays. Loads of pro clubs to choose from up there which we ain’t got in Cornwall unfortunately. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 23:50, Cameron Hague said:

How do we get more clubs playing Sunday League?

Last year there were 7 clubs in the league. There are over half a million people living in Cornwall. If each club has a squad of 30 players then that's 0.042% of the population play football on a Sunday. Or to simplify, one in every 2,380 people. Or to simplify even further, 1 person in a village the size of St Teath plays Sunday football.

Forgive me for replying so late, but it could be down to the fact that if you play Duchy, ECPL or St Pirans, likelihood of you travelling far to an away game on a Saturday is high. That said, if you spend hours travelling to play on a Saturday afternoon; chances of you doing the same on a Sunday morning are fairly slim. Who want's to spend best part of 8 hours every weekend travelling across the country, and in some cases for teams that don't even have adequate changing facilities or showers!?

9 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

We used to change in the hedge,  and showered only if it was raining...the good old days!

Don't make players like that nowadays older , wash in a horse trough  after the game , clear cowshit off the pitch ,  great days it was all about the football , turn up play kick shit out of each other , handshakes  after all left on the pitch , back to what ever pub  the club drank at , delighted what ever was provided as grub , buy raffle ticket , football card  .  Great fun  .

15 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Don't make players like that nowadays older , wash in a horse trough  after the game , clear cowshit off the pitch ,  great days it was all about the football , turn up play kick shit out of each other , handshakes  after all left on the pitch , back to what ever pub  the club drank at , delighted what ever was provided as grub , buy raffle ticket , football card  .  Great fun  .

They will never have the fun we had...dont know what they're missing buddy.

On 20/09/2019 at 08:44, Keith B said:

Lot of truth here RR. We had to wait to get home to have a bath in my day. Mother made sure you cleaned the bath out afterwards too. Didn't have showers, they were not invented yet.

Different breed in those days Stevie. It was all we knew anyway - good days. Never see them again.

Not so sure Keith walking football  is getting very popular  ,  very competitive  but all left on the pitch  handshakes  after , very old school , my club entered a festival  last Sunday held at Lanivet  , for the Bobby Moore  cancer charity 10 teams took part  90 plus players , well organised  by Barry of Lanivet , 15 min games , great to meet other teams from St,Austell, Troon ,Lanivet , Newquay  , Morwenstow , My club Penwith Nomads , it's a great sport mixed  Male and female , hopefully  a league next year its growing  , we have over 30 members , average at training 15-18 each session  . We have FUN it's great at 57 kicking a ball again , anybody at our club can take the training  or suggest drills , each week a different players sorts the teams out , we have a good size committee  each does  different things for the club , it's good different people from different backgrounds  all together,  if you do face book look us up on Penwith nomads.  🏐🥅👍