Cornwall Football Forum

Prem Div West - 6 August 2019

AFC St Austell 6 (Miller 2, Watts 2, Tucker, H Turner)

Liskeard Athletic 1 (Savigar)

Despite a bright opening spell from Liskeard, possibly lifted by the presence of James Lorenz “back” from Truro, the opening game of the season was one for the home side to remember as they romped home clear winners.

Two goals in three minutes from summer signing Jake Miller got them on course for the win, followed up by Martin Watts, playing a more forward role for him, making it 3-0 in the 39th minute. Probably the killer goal came in added on time with George Tucker, from a wide position out on the right, making sure his shot went across the Liskeard ‘keeper Ollie Chenoweth, giving him no chance, with the ball finishing up right in the far corner of the net!

If “damaged limitation” was the talk of the Liskeard changing room during the break, it didn’t work as within 4 minutes it was 5-0 with Watts heading in, totally unchallenged, to make it 5-0 and in the 53rd minute Haydn Turner divinely placed the ball passed the helpless Chenoweth to complete the Lillywhites scoring after teaming up well with Miller in the visitors penalty area.

I think it could have been more but manager Chris Knight made various substitutions to presumably rest some of his players for the FA Cup tie on Saturday at Willand and in fact they played what must have been about 20 minutes with ten men following an injury leaving them one short.

Give Liskeard some credit for not dying completely as Tom Savigar pulled one back for them (72 min), but it was purely a consolation goal as on the night they were taught a lesson in how to finish!

One area of confusion for me is the return of James Lorenz to Liskeard. He appeared from the start and one moment I’m told he’s back, “Truro have torn up the contract”; however, then I’m advised that however Truro would have any say in should any other club come in to want to sign him! To me that means he’s still a Truro player on loan out to Liskeard.

Watched Wadebridge Vs Godolphin, G very unlucky not to come away with 3 points. Their new look side battled & competed very well, well done G. Off to Newquay this evening see how the 'Massey Express' is running, interested to see if his prediction of 20/20 Champion's comes to fruition .. 

Like Dave and doubtless a few others I was at the St Austell Show last night.

There have been a few doubts around regards St Austells CV for this campaign, it's still early days but on last nights performance they look very capable indeed.

Home side were awesome for long periods. Remarkable approach play and interchanging attack plans for this level of football.

I wondered why St Austell sat so deep for the last quarter. I hadn't realised they were down to 10 men due to injuries, my thanks to Dave for clearing that up. I'm still running in my new glasses from that Opticians who were on Watchdog.

Credit to Liskeard who had bossed the opening 10 minutes before reaping the whirlwind, they never gave up and competed for everything. Can see less durable sides getting a right tonking at Poltair Park (mind you 6-1 is still pretty emphatic I suppose). 

Noted half a dozen of the Saltash squad in the crowd sizing up the opposition, as were Mr Massey & his Chairman.

Surprised to see James Lorenz back in the Liskeard side. Interesting goings on. Personally I am gobsmacked that Truro haven't taken a closer look at the lad. They've only given him a run during the get-fit period. All I can say is they must have some clinical strikers on the books? Thanks to Way Of The Park for his additional information on the situation.