Cornwall Football Forum

League Charity Fund Raising Day

After the much discussed reorganisation of Cornish football the new St Piran League finally becomes a reality on Sunday 11th August with the Leagues charity fund raising day at Wadebridge Towns Bodieve Park.  Two matches will take place with last season’s Combination League Cup winners, Illogan RBL, playing Callington Reserves, East Cornwall Premier League Cup runners-up (to AFC St Austell Reserves) at 12:30 for the Charity Vase followed at 3:15pm by AFC St Austell Reserves v Perranporth, the two respective League Champions from last season, for the Charity Bowl. 

All proceeds from the day will go to the League Benevolent Fund. 

A special mention and thank you must go to the SWPL who have agreed to provide Benevolent Fund cover for financial hardship resulting from on field injuries for the first season of the St Piran League to enable the St Piran fund to get established.  Grateful thanks must also go to Wadebridge for agreeing to host the event and The Shoe Boy for sponsoring the trophies.

Admission to the event is £5, £3 concessions.

League action commences on Friday 16th August again at Wadebridge when the hosts play Callington Reserves in an East Division fixture KO 7:30pm. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Steve Carpenter changed the title to League Charity Fund Raising Day
17 hours ago, ECPL said:

Pity the Sunday Independent chose to ignore the day.  Couldn't even post the games as fixtures and they haven't even posted next weeks fixtures.  Local football heh, 

What is lukejonno's full name for Illogan RBL 

Why don’t they devote the 2 pages they cover Bournemouth fc to local football!!? Does anyone in Cornwall or Devon care how a Premier League team 250 miles away are getting on to be honest? Even Forest Green Rovers!!? 2 pages, really!? Fair enough the rest but oh for the old days of the pre season pull out and photos of all the local teams we are actually interested in! Premier league is in your face non stop if I wanted to know how Bournemouth are getting on I could!! 🙄

Unfortunately they have lost their focus.  When you see a complete page plus a picture of absolute waffle and the same name as the writer keeps cropping up then you know where the problem lies.  It seems to want to attract supporters of professional football and gone away from local football.   

2 hours ago, ECPL said:

Unfortunately they have lost their focus.  When you see a complete page plus a picture of absolute waffle and the same name as the writer keeps cropping up then you know where the problem lies.  It seems to want to attract supporters of professional football and gone away from local football.   

Haven't bought that rubbish for a good two years, the West Briton neither. 

Unfortunately it’s the way the paper has to go because of the economies of scale.

However, all the more reason perhaps for at least  every game played throughout the county on a Saturday getting its mention on this forum!

If you’re a forum member/reader and you’ve been to a match - give it a quick mention.  👏 

13 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Cornish Guardian just as bad, WMN only interested in Argyle, local papers sports coverage at an all time low, agree with 'Sticker Forever' the Non League Paper on a Sunday is as good an alternative indeed much much better than the Sunday Indie which i gave up on weeks ago. 

13 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I agree both Papers far too big and spend too much time flicking pages .

Matt Friday the football man of The Packet submits far more  news and reports on the local SWPL clubs (Falmouth-Penryn,Wendron,Porthleven and Helston).

Also he has at an instant the latest Packet online with up to date Football news and video action.

I don’t think it’s all bad. As Mike said, Matt Friday does a cracking job at The Packet - his features on his Twitter are great. 

Although not so local anymore, Lee Hall did a cracking job and still does. 

Also, last year’s combo reports in the Indy were great thanks to Rappo. 

I did write the Trelawny reports for a short spell but really struggled getting information off of teams. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Cornish Times does a great coverage.  But once again shoddy journalism sees scorers missed off and please can they not use bullet marks.  It seems as if one report follows another without any clue as to what teams are being reported on.  I repeat shoddy journalism.  All the league round ups seem to be an afterthought.