Cornwall Football Forum

SIN BINS

From what tier of grass roots football are SIN BINS coming into this season?

Do people think it will work? I for one are for it, some dissent shown in local football is shocking. 

I also think it should also be introduced at higher levels as that is where it all stems from in the first place. 

Just now, TheManWhoKnows said:

Not sure on the tier, think it’s a great idea already worked well in junior football (where the referees aren’t as consistent). Only potential problem is Getting a ref who abuses the new rule! 

Bang on there, similar to a ref hiding behind his cards and ruining a good game of football rather than just speaking to players normally

Fairly sure it’s at Tier 5 and below for next season - it is definitely at Tier 6 (SWPL Prem - as was). Already seen it used in several PSF. It worked in Junior Football last season (IMO) but will wait to see how it fairs in higher leagues where the egos of players and Refs increase - but there are about four different ways  ‘sin bins’ will work and I am not sure many players know what it entails. 

Absolutely. The players need to realise that and develop some self respect rather than the petulance that so many display. 

22 hours ago, John Mead said:

How? Players just need a modicum of self-control and accept that Referees are there to apply the Laws of the Game to the best of their ability.

That's not the way it works...punishment for dissent is a sin bin...simple and straightforward. A ref will not be adhering to the new application of the law if he warned a player for dissent. The whole point is to initially reduce and ultimately remove dissent from the game. 

1 hour ago, TheManWhoKnows said:

Perhaps the league should keep a record for what players/clubs are regularly being sin binned and introduce fines or bans for repeat offenders as I’m sure a few will be repeat offenders..... also would act as a great deterrent 

The sin bin is still recorded by county and the penalty points/yellows will still accumulate as normal. Only difference is if only one sin bin in a game the £10 admin fee will not be charged. If a player gets two in a game though they will have a 1 game ban and £25 fine.

I think the idea of sin binning is a good one.  The only thing I would've changed is where you get a yellow ( & sin binned) for dissent, then pick up a yellow for a rash challenge, the player then should receive a red & sent off. Not a second yellow & carry on playing

4 hours ago, The Boy said:

I think the idea of sin binning is a good one.  The only thing I would've changed is where you get a yellow ( & sin binned) for dissent, then pick up a yellow for a rash challenge, the player then should receive a red & sent off. Not a second yellow & carry on playing

It's nearly impossible to eradicate the occasional rash challenge during a game but dissent is something that could become a thing of the past. 10 minutes in the sin bin is not only an immediate punishment but also a chance for players to reflect upon their behaviour and hopefully learn something!

On 01/08/2019 at 20:04, Keith B said:

Are you saying that the sin bin is just for dissent then ? I don't think so - but stand to be corrected - perhaps by a referee.

Yes the sin bin is only for dissent. If you were fully involved with football  you would know  that. Another person who knows better than the briefed  match officials.