Cornwall Football Forum

Has anyone ever? if not why not? It's now time you did

Every week Dave Deacon starts his programme on BBC Cornwall by saying "phone in if you've been at a match and want to comment on it" Has anyone ever done this? I don't think so, if not why not? it's a phone in show and I'm sure the general public's appraisal of a game would be greatly appreciated rather than listen to the same old people week in week out, people that Dave has to work hard to get at teh end of the day's matches.

Also look at it from another point of view, if people do not ring in and give their views, what are the sports editor and producer going to think about the popularity of football in Cornwall? very low would be my guess, start to use your radio station or lose it, the more people that ring in the better, the better for Dave, the better for everyone else, the better for the editor and producer to let them know that people do care, if you don't start to use a service, how on earth do you expect it change for the better, to the way you want?

So go on do yourself a favour this saturday and every Saturday and give Dave a ring and talk about anything you want to, be it your team, the other team, the referee, the state of pitch and facilities or even the the home club charge for a cup of tea....the more you use it the bigger it may get.

Let us all start to use this silver spoon that has been thrust at us and together we might just get the radio station to change it's policy on local football. Why wait a coupl a of hours to post on here to a few hundred when you can tell a few thousand a lot sooner?

Well thank you Stig. Never thought I would be on the same side as a man in black! :D

To be serious though, you are quite right in that I do offer people to phone in. No one ever does, well at least as far as I am aware!

In the past, but only on a couple of occasions, we have actually tried to have a slot base purely on a phone-in ........ but nobody phoned in then either! :blink:

We would naturally ring you back and so cost need not be an issue. If in the meantime, there are players, committe members, managers or supporters who would like to give me their telephone numbers .... just either PM them to me or text to me on 07759 502408.

What Stig writes make sense!!! :clapper:

Guest Rabinowitz_The_Red

the cornish FA (well the FA in genreal) won't allow match officails to comment on games as its seen as wrong. if a ref sends/books a player and they talk about it they could probs take what he says and twists the words(not the show but the court, if it gets to the court well i mean the lawers) thats if they decide to appeal..

Well i don't no y but the fa don't like the officals commenting on games

Guest Man on the Post

I presume Stig could still phone in and give his opinion of Radio Cornwall's coverage of local football. :D

Perhaps he could also give the sports producer a :SM_carton:

The other day I counted up the number of Cornish teams playing football on a Saturday that were listed in the leagues in the West Briton.

There were something like 225, if you multiply that by 12 (therefore allowing for only one sub) it comes to 2700 people actually playing the game each Saturday. That doesn't allow for more than 1 sub, officials, club officials, any spectators or anyone else for that matter. Factor in the number of Cornich based Argyle supporters who go and watch them every week and you've got a massive football following down here.

You can't be playing and watching.

Cornwall may be perceived as a rugby county, but there's a lot of football going on I'm pleased to say.

I'm not having a go at rugby becuase I quite enjoy it but

I was thinking the very same thing last night, unless I'm wrong, I counted 26 senior mens rugby sides playing in cornwall, that includes Pirates up the top in National 1 and the lowest rugby sides in Cornwall 2.

Just a rough sum

15 players in a rugby team + 1 sub = 16

26 x 16 = min 416 active senior players on a saturday

Is rugby really the majority sport in cornwall?

I dont think rugby is the main participated sport in the county it just plays at the highest level and is perhaps the most supported not sure if this is true in the sence of whole numbers ie there must be more football supporters if you add them all up but per game watched other than truro no-one can have the same crowds as most of the rugby clubs .can they????????. feel free to shoot me down in flames if anyone has got the facts I will happily say I am wrong.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH TOMMY AND STIG!! LETS ALL SUPPORT DAVE AND THE CCFA AND PROMOTE FOOTBALL IN THE COUNTY.DAVE,S DONE ALOT FOR CORNISH FOOTBALL,THIS WEBSITE,A HALF HOUR RADIO SHOW,LIVE MATCH COMMENTARY AND THE CORNISH SOCCER MAGAZINE TO NAME JUST A FEW THINGS.WHEN TOMMY AND I WERE IN OUR PRIME WE WERE PLEASED TO HAVE A NEWSPAPER REPORT OF OUR GAME A FEW DAYS LATER!!! FOOTBALL COVERAGE HAS COME ON ALOT IN THE LAST FEW YEARS,LETS ALL HELP TO KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!

P.S) SEE YOU SOON TOM.MAYBE WE COULD ALL GO DENTYS NEW PUB FOR A MEAL!!!?? :c::drink::D:c: :c:

Rugby has only built up a good support base because of the rise of 'Trelawnys Army' in the County Championship years ago.

The demise of the County Championship has seen a lot of supporters transfer to the Pirates primarily because of the love of attending a 'big' sporting occasion.

I have been interested to note that as Truro's attendances increase year on year I see a lot of people there who I know used to go and watch Rugby Matches..!!

Dave is there anyway the show could go on for more than 30mins. There is obviously a lot on interest in listening to the results and also the comments from managers on the days games.

Perhaps you could do a 30min on teams swpl ecpl duchyc and the the combo fhl and mining.

If players supportors and managers were interested they would then listen or participate.

Perhaps an idea would be to pick a game from each league and have the manager or players ring to talk about it. I know i was proud to have you call me last year and talk about our senior cup game against Truro at St Blazey and have me promote my club and players.

JUST A SUGGESTION IF STIG READS THIS. (not ago at our lack of quality officials in the county)