Cornwall Football Forum

Match Recommendations

West Cornwall football fans - I'm after a match recommendation.

I'm coming down to Cornwall for my honeymoon, and fully intend on catching one of the midweek matches while I'm there.  The two options I've narrowed it down to are:

Porthleven vs Mousehole
Helston vs Wendron

Which game gets the nod?

3 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Port v Mousehole without doubt

What's the reason for that?  Reading a lot on here that Helston would be favourites for the title?

I haven't seen a match west of Saltash since I was playing Duchy League over a decade ago, so my knowledge is somewhat rusty!

38 minutes ago, GRTourist said:

What's the reason for that?  Reading a lot on here that Helston would be favourites for the title?

I haven't seen a match west of Saltash since I was playing Duchy League over a decade ago, so my knowledge is somewhat rusty!

Go watch Helston then ... 

4 hours ago, GRTourist said:

I'm coming down to Cornwall for my honeymoon, and fully intend on catching one of the midweek matches while I'm there.  The two options I've narrowed it down to are:

Porthleven vs Mousehole
Helston vs Wendron

Which game gets the nod?

Both about the same, plenty of goals in both I would expect.

Myself I would fancy the Helston game.

5 hours ago, GRTourist said:

Porthleven vs Mousehole
Helston vs Wendron

Which game gets the nod?

Agree with Older (for a change!). Go to whichever one is closest. My deepest sympathy to your spouse, a grass widow in under a week! 

P.S. Ideally shouldn’t it be “We’re coming down to Cornwall for our honeymoon”

8 hours ago, GRTourist said:

Porthleven vs Mousehole
Helston vs Wendron

Which game gets the nod?

We'd love to see you at Helston.

Bring The Wife and The Chairman will even throw in a bottle of half time bubbly to ensure you don't forget your honeymoon visit to Kellaway Park, 'Home of The Blues'

🍾 💙

9 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Agree with Older (for a change!). Go to whichever one is closest. My deepest sympathy to your spouse, a grass widow in under a week! 

P.S. Ideally shouldn’t it be “We’re coming down to Cornwall for our honeymoon”

Very good point... I had actually written "we" initially but didn't want it to read like my fiancee was also desperately seeking advice on SWPL fixtures 😂

I'm quite lucky that she likes football - even managed to enjoy herself at Elburton Villa vs St Austell last season!

7 hours ago, Blues Chairman said:

We'd love to see you at Helston.

Bring The Wife and The Chairman will even throw in a bottle of half time bubbly to ensure you don't forget your honeymoon visit to Kellaway Park, 'Home of The Blues'

🍾 💙

And I think this may end up swinging it 😂😂

26 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

I think you will see a better brand of football @mousehole but I’m bias. I’m sure Helston game will also be very entertaining as previously mentioned I think you will get goals in either game. 

Ps enjoy your honeymoon. 

Nothing from the Porthleven Chairman yet about two half’s of Tribute and a pasty. Go on, you could yet win over hearts and minds!

17 hours ago, Del Boy said:

I think you will see a better brand of football @mousehole but I’m bias.

Pedantic peeve of mine. Bias is a noun indicating prejudice toward or against some object, person or group.

Are you a noun indicating prejudice or are you a person who is biased towards or against a brand of football?

See also "you're so tan".

As for match recommendations, I agree with Del Boy: you should watch Porthleven vs Mousehole. I think you'll see a more competitive, technically accomplished game of football, plus you can enjoy a stroll around Porthleven with your new wife before the game. I don't think anyone would enjoy a stroll around Helston.

3 hours ago, SteveM said:

Pedantic peeve of mine. Bias is a noun indicating prejudice toward or against some object, person or group.

Are you a noun indicating prejudice or are you a person who is biased towards or against a brand of football?

As for match recommendations, I agree with Del Boy: you should watch Porthleven vs Mousehole. I think you'll see a more competitive, technically accomplished game of football, plus you can enjoy a stroll around Porthleven with your new wife before the game. I don't think anyone would enjoy a stroll around Helston.

Every day is a school day SteveM, thanks for the English refresher 😂

7 hours ago, SteveM said:

Ahh, a man who cannot only Google, but copy and paste as well. Could you sign me up for your next foruming for beginners course please. And yes, I know that foruming is not (yet) a proper word, but all words have to start somewhere!

1 minute ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Ahh, a man who cannot only Google, but copy and paste as well. Could you sign me up for your next foruming for beginners course please. And yes, I know that foruming is not (yet) a proper word, but all words have to start somewhere!

I'm perfectly capable of copy, paste and web searches, but in this case I'm simply applying the lessons that I was taught in school and being a grammar pedant.

8 hours ago, SteveM said:

A stroll around Helston could include the lake at Coronation park to see the swans, ducks and geese, followed by a look round the museum which is more interesting than you might imagiine. There's also a nice little cafe that has vegan options if you are so inclined..........and the "Spoons" of course!

1 hour ago, deancourt said:

A stroll around Helston could include the lake at Coronation park to see the swans, ducks and geese, followed by a look round the museum which is more interesting than you might imagiine. There's also a nice little cafe that has vegan options if you are so inclined..........and the "Spoons" of course!

Forget the 'spoons, go for the Blue Anchor. Pint of Spingo will keep the honeymoon buzz going.