Cornwall Football Forum

Diego Maradona Film

I haven't seen the film but I hope it changes the perception held by far too many that Maradona was nothing but a cheat. He was the best player I ever saw, albeit only on telly. His handball in 1986 was wrong - but so is any deliberate handball, any foul, any instance of rule-breaking on the pitch. If Lineker or Beardsley had done the same thing at the other end of the pitch, it would have been shrugged off in this country merely as attempts to score. What's worse - handling the ball into the net, or kicking lumps out of a genius (the tactic employed by many against Maradona, including Englishmen)?

In my (very humble) opinion, he was the greatest.

Took a  pretty average Napoli side to two Serie A titles (when it was the best league in the world) and a UEFA Cup win (When it was probably of a higher standard than the European Cup).  Also won the World Cup with an Argentine squad featuring no other world class players.

Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Pele, Best, Cruyff and Beckanbauer are undisputed greats, but just consider the supporting casts they had in their prime.

3 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Where did you watch it WOTP? Been looking out for it in the local listings but can’t see it? Plymouth I’m guessing? 👍

Saw it at my local cinema in London.

Fear not though Rappo, it's a Film 4 production. I would guess it will be on telly in the next few months.

Thanks for that WOTP.  I’ll look out for it. Best player I’ve ever seen play live. Watching him warm up was worth the entrance fee. Prefer Pele as a bloke but Maradona won the World Cup on his own in 86! As you said what he did at Napoli in his prime was incredible. 👏🏼👍

8 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Thanks for that WOTP.  I’ll look out for it. Best player I’ve ever seen play live. Watching him warm up was worth the entrance fee. Prefer Pele as a bloke but Maradona won the World Cup on his own in 86! As you said what he did at Napoli in his prime was incredible. 👏🏼👍

The level of passion, chaos, danger and drama at Napoli in that era was similar to the F Troop at Falmouth in the early nineties.

(Remember Falmouth taking over Lux Park for an FA Vase game against Liskeard in, I think,  1995).

Remember that game well. It was the last 32 of the Vase, and Liskeard (Western League at the time) who were, in the managers words, starting to see Wembley in the distance. Spotlight even did a little preview on the Friday, and sent the cameras to watch Liskeard train in midweek (those were the days, local TV covering non league football). Under Jimmy Hargreaves we had a decent side containing Nigel Pugh, Garry Wotton, Mark Gammon, Mickey Fallon and Martyn Sullivan amongst others. Big crowd on the day, real atmosphere, but we just didn't get going. Mind you, that was a really strong Falmouth side who were looking to stick it to a Western League side. Game finished two nil, sure that George Torrance scored a screamer and then get engulfed by the F-troop behind the goal.

Really felt gutted after the game, remember having a stand up row with somebody at work on Monday who said that he "went along after seeing the preview on TV, but won't go again as they were rubbish." Got really angry (totally out of character for me) and told him  " I could be critical as i go every week, but fair weather glory hunters like him could f**k off." He later apologised.

Think that you lot then got beat at home in the next round by a northern side (goals from that game were on Spotlight as well).

If Mike Odgers is reading this, then it would be great if he could fill in gaps on the line ups and goalscorers.

Yeah we got stuffed 5-1 at home in the last 16. Team from Nottingham way I think? Was 3-0 down after about 20 minutes with two own goals!!? Was injured most of that season with a broken 5th metatarsal twice!! But remember coming on in the last 20 of that game and hardly touched the ball, they were pretty slick, not sure if they reached the final?? Like you say WOTP Mike will know for sure. Think Paul Kneebone scored a header in the game against you, came in because of injuries and did us proud I remember 👍

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah we got stuffed 5-1 at home in the last 16. Team from Nottingham way I think? Was 3-0 down after about 20 minutes with two own goals!!? Was injured most of that season with a broken 5th metatarsal twice!! But remember coming on in the last 20 of that game and hardly touched the ball, they were pretty slick, not sure if they reached the final?? Like you say WOTP Mike will know for sure. Think Paul Kneebone scored a header in the game against you, came in because of injuries and did us proud I remember 👍

Belper Town - reached the semi finals and then knocked out by Oxford City. 1994-95

Belper!!! How could I forget Dave! Good side, worst stuffing I ever had for Falmouth at Bickland mate! We only lost 1-3 to a full strength Aston Villa 1st team 7 months earlier! They beat Man Utd in the league cup final 3 months before that! Funny old game 🙄😀