Cornwall Football Forum

AFC St Austell

51 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Why would you leave a job after 3 weeks in    Pre season when getting your squad built is critical. 

Their departure doesn’t necessarily have to be because lack of promised money.

Perhaps they weren’t able to get any players? Did they try? Did they expect the club to deal with getting players?

Lots of reasons other than any suggested lack of funds from the club! 

Don’t think that the new Management Team had a great knowledge of the local circuit and there seems to have been a mix up in communication between them and the club as to who was going to be doing what. The extraordinary amount of money that was believed to have being spent on Hodges and Todd was nothing short of ridiculous and club officials need to look at themselves.

Speaking to a few players who have departed, nobody was spoken to by either the new Management or the club.

Early indications are that the majority of last years successful reserves side will be stepping up with the managers included.

44 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Their departure doesn’t necessarily have to be because lack of promised money.

Perhaps they weren’t able to get any players? Did they try? Did they expect the club to deal with getting players?

Lots of reasons other than any suggested lack of funds from the club! 

They were told that the majority of players will be staying

Shambles !! 

17 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

All the more reason for the managers to have been in early and direct contact with the players to make sure that was the case!

The fact that Eddie and Goldsworthy were leaving was widely known throughout the club about three weeks before the season even ended ! The new management should have been in place before the season ended which would’ve been an ideal time to look at the talent on show !! 

20 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Since when has a manager been able to trust anything a player says. 🤣😂🤣

The players were never asked, the board told the new management at interview stage that most of the players will be staying.

Quite a few of them had already decided to leave way before the end of the season.

Anyway hopefully they can get it all sorted out down there because as I’ve said before the fans deserve better

Liam Eddy and Mark Goldsworthy was a done deal months before irrelevant of what they say. Can’t blame them really, home club and abundance of money to go with it. Slateford and Brokenshire (both St Austell through and through apparently) going for the money pure and simple. Calver and Tinsley stepping up a league so cant blame them for that.

A lot of parties are to blame for this situation and it’s been coming for a while, started a few seasons ago with poor managerial appointments and since Lafferty left, 4 or 5 managers have come and gone!!!

All clubs however go through this cycle and will continue to happen for many many years to come.

A big name isn’t needed, maybe someone with past club connections, someone with local knowledge and re-group and build from there.

The usual suspects will be named like Lafferty, Hooper, Nancarrow, Chapman etc but someone like Martin Giles would be a good shout. Knows the club and probably has in-finished business down there.

To be honest unless lee hodges has personally had  phone calls with every player and got assurances they were committed to playing then maybe this what made his mind up. 

There not a lot of top quality players left to fill the void by the ones that gone Helston and parkway it obviously dawned on him that he doesn’t want to risk his managerial record on a basement battle 

4 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

Liam Eddy and Mark Goldsworthy was a done deal months before irrelevant of what they say. Can’t blame them really, home club and abundance of money to go with it. Slateford and Brokenshire (both St Austell through and through apparently) going for the money pure and simple. Calver and Tinsley stepping up a league so cant blame them for that.

A lot of parties are to blame for this situation and it’s been coming for a while, started a few seasons ago with poor managerial appointments and since Lafferty left, 4 or 5 managers have come and gone!!!

All clubs however go through this cycle and will continue to happen for many many years to come.

A big name isn’t needed, maybe someone with past club connections, someone with local knowledge and re-group and build from there.

The usual suspects will be named like Lafferty, Hooper, Nancarrow, Chapman etc but someone like Martin Giles would be a good shout. Knows the club and probably has in-finished business down there.

Martin Giles in the dug out? Dear god no😂 

Bloody lash up ! Surely the 1st thing a incoming manager does is contact the existing players , the ones he wants to keep , and tries to sell his vision of what he and the club want . Players I spoke to reckon they have had no contact . Sounds like he wanted to take over a ready made team and get paid for it . Personally think his reputation has taken a knock over this fiasco. 

Press Statement on Twitter from the club:-

“Following lengthy discussions and by Mutual Consent the club have parted company with our Management Team of Lee Hodges and Chris Todd for the coming season. Lee and Chris were appointed to come in and work with and strengthen our squad with the aim of achieving promotion to the Western League. With the goalposts now moved it was felt to be in the best interests of both parties to move on. We would like to thank both Lee and Chris for their efforts and as a club we are sorry that more of the squad didn't buy into the project and long term goals of the club.

As a club we are committed to building a sustainable future and will continue on that road.

An announcement on the replacements will be made very soon.”

1 minute ago, teflon123 said:

Bit of both I’d imagine. Again sounds like a lot of parties are in the wrong.

Surely players though would be attracted to playing under a Manager who has played at the highest level and would Improve as players themselves. 

Suppose they got that and money at Helston.

What I don’t get is they took the job on the promise that every player would re sign. Well unless they had signed a contract that just ridiculous to assume that I’m this day and age . 

The chairman and players are to blame here 

Most managers come in and bring their own players in but sounds like hodges took the job purely to get the current team promoted.i don’t blame them for stepping away tough to build a completely new team and get anywhere near the top  

I think they would of stayed but when Massey is ruining Cornish football paying a striker £4500 signing on fee (which a mates that knows his dad has told me) And stupid match fee. Plus what the rest are on you’re not going to stay 

54 minutes ago, Tribute said:

Bloody lash up ! Surely the 1st thing a incoming manager does is contact the existing players , the ones he wants to keep , and tries to sell his vision of what he and the club want . Players I spoke to reckon they have had no contact . Sounds like he wanted to take over a ready made team and get paid for it . Personally think his reputation has taken a knock over this fiasco. 

Spot on 

9 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

The chairman and players are to blame here 

You’ve got to add Hodges and Todd to that as well surely for being so naive!

1 minute ago, Victor said:

I think they would of stayed but when Massey is ruining Cornish football paying a striker £4500 signing on fee (which a mates that knows his dad has told me) And stupid match fee. Plus what the rest are on you’re not going to stay 

Got to give the guy credit however for turning it down last season! :)

16 minutes ago, Haveyouheard said:

If they were decent managers they would of stayed and taken up the challenge to recruit and strengthen the team but looks like they can't be bothered to put in a little graft I guess 

And sign who with the budget they have ? All the decent players in Cornwall have gone elsewhere ,

They have taken the job with the criteria of being promoted . Not build a new team or  just stay in the league 

Sounds like they wanted an easy ride and couldn't 'gamble' on having their egos hit. Extremely naive from the manager and assistant, which is shocking considering their experience. The unwillingness to even attempt signing some new players is of course a decision they have the right to make but it certainly doesn't gain them any respect. 

What the hell is happening at a fine club like St Austell it seems a right mess all the players have left now the management has gone ,they want to do all they can to get Phil Lafferty back there he will get the club back on track.They are on about putting the reserves into the 1st team these are just young lads and need to be brought on gradually . I wish St Austell all the best and can sort out this mess they are in .

Via their Twitter account this morning:-

"*** Club Announcement ***
We can confirm that Chris Knight has agreed to take on the role of first team manager for the coming season. He will be asssited by Phil Dingle and James Powell . We thank them for their support and we look forward to the season ahead."

11 hours ago, Zac said:

Sounds like they wanted an easy ride and couldn't 'gamble' on having their egos hit. Extremely naive from the manager and assistant, which is shocking considering their experience. The unwillingness to even attempt signing some new players is of course a decision they have the right to make but it certainly doesn't gain them any respect. 

Exactly the same point I mentioned, but I guess these days you don't need to have good management skills, just a high budget and try lure players with an extra 10er a game 😂 

13 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

From Chris Todd (again from

Twitter):-

F19EB2B5-B7C0-4C19-8EC1-CDAE1886C7CC.jpeg

Seems to be a very unprofessional approach to accepting the management of a club without confirming the current status of the playing staff with the players themselves, and as regards to players signing contracts is that really the norm nowadays, is the Peninsula Premier league now deemed to be a professional league?