Cornwall Football Forum

League set up next season!

I've done a quick count and I think next season it makes 42 teams left in duchy league

Maybe one or two to join the league but a couple will drop out so may well balance itself out.
I'm hoping it's not just 4 leagues of 10/11 teams.
So when/if a team fold early in the season, a league of 10/11 teams doesn't go down to 9/10

Should be Prem, Div 1, Div 2 with 14 teams in each.

Anybody know what the Duchy league are planning?

Probably be enough teams for 4 divisions of 12, only three confirmed applicants and 45 left in (i think) but ,as you say, some could still withdraw.

If there were enough teams for 4 divisions of 14 that would be something like 200 more league fixtures and we would never find the referees to cover them all - we will be struggling as it is i suspect.

The League Management Committee will make proposals but in the end it is down to the clubs at the agm.

Always good to hear suggestions though.

Just now, Paul Collings said:

Probably be enough teams for 4 divisions of 12, only three confirmed applicants and 45 left in (i think) but ,as you say, some could still withdraw.

If there were enough teams for 4 divisions of 14 that would be something like 200 more league fixtures and we would never find the referees to cover them all - we will be struggling as it is i suspect.

The League Management Committee will make proposals but in the end it is down to the clubs at the agm.

Always good to hear suggestions though.

My figure was taking into account that Newmoor and St Dennis 3rds fold which i have heard rumours of?

Would rather less new teams enter and the existing clubs don't have to struggle to get 11 players every week. I know it doesn't work that way but maybe just accepting 2 new teams each season as a cap would help stop it. Vote at AGM.

14 teams in 3 leagues would be more than enough I imagine. Can't see 56 teams for 4 leagues of 14 happening. (would mean another new 10 teams entering Duchy League)

Leagues of 10 just isn't enough, not everybody can have good cup runs to fill the gaps.

Personally I agree with Jimmer. 10 teams in a Division isn’t enough - your season could be potentially finished by the end of January!

However with all the changes impacting on the Duchy League from the new constitutions of St Piran and ECPL, divisions of 14 would mean teams finishing mid table in Duchy 2 last season end up in the Premier Division next season. 

Lots to consider before the AGM. 

1 hour ago, St Newlyn East AFC said:

Personally I agree with Jimmer. 10 teams in a Division isn’t enough - your season could be potentially finished by the end of January!

However with all the changes impacting on the Duchy League from the new constitutions of St Piran and ECPL, divisions of 14 would mean teams finishing mid table in Duchy 2 last season end up in the Premier Division next season. 

Lots to consider before the AGM. 

Have to agree with these points, it seems to me that 4 divisions with 12 or 13 teams  is probably  the sensible compromise for next season but its hard to plan for teams pulling out after the agm and i do accept that sometimes when a new team is taken in an existing team suffers. 

4 divisions of 12-13 teams would be fine if an extra few cups were added. Potentially similar to the Trelawny league where there’s a separate cup for each division. Gives sides more to play for and keeps teams interested for longer. 

Having 20 league games isn’t enough, a side that gets knocked out in the first round of the cup and then spends all season mid-table wold have something more to play for if there were at least 2/3 cups to make up the games.

1 hour ago, Titus Bramble said:

4 divisions of 12-13 teams would be fine if an extra few cups were added. Potentially similar to the Trelawny league where there’s a separate cup for each division. Gives sides more to play for and keeps teams interested for longer. 

Having 20 league games isn’t enough, a side that gets knocked out in the first round of the cup and then spends all season mid-table wold have something more to play for if there were at least 2/3 cups to make up the games.

Shouldn't poke my nose into a Duchy thread but I am hoping that other Combo Committee members are reading this as well.

How about making your League Cup a home and away cup until a one game final. That means every side will get at least 2 cup games, even teams with a Bye round. 

Another idea is Divisions of 12 with a Cup per Division. Draw lots per division to make 4 groups of 3 teams. These 3 teams play each other home and away. The 4 group winners then are the semi-finalists. Minimum of 4 cup matches per side, plus group winners get to play 2 more games if they reach the final. 22 league, 6, 7 or 8 cup games. Then of course you have the Duchy League Cup, so that could add 4 or 5 games. Total maximum per games per side, 35 games for a 41 week season.

On 15/06/2019 at 12:39, cornishteddyboy said:

Another idea is Divisions of 12 with a Cup per Division. Draw lots per division to make 4 groups of 3 teams. These 3 teams play each other home and away. The 4 group winners then are the semi-finalists. Minimum of 4 cup matches per side, plus group winners get to play 2 more games if they reach the final. 22 league, 6, 7 or 8 cup games. Then of course you have the Duchy League Cup, so that could add 4 or 5 games. Total maximum per games per side, 35 games for a 41 week season.

Quite like this idea, hope that the Duchy League bring this up at the AGM. They must be listening. 

Otherwise a 12 team division some teams could end up playing 24 games maximum.

Just adding that individual league cup with a group stage would make it much more interesting with something else to play for.

Having said all this, we will now probably have the worst winter ever.

I think the clubs may be more than pleasently suprised with some of the proposed changes to the strucrure at the AGM. As someone who still plays in the league I think the proposed changes are the most exiciting thing to happen in the league and I have been playing since the 92-93 season. All to be revealed next Monday....