Torpoint Athletic Thirds

Gerrans & St Mawes

North Petherwin

St Dominick

St Cleer

Veryan

Plymouth Marjon Res"

There's also a suggestion that one might be subject to ground approval

• League itself will consist of 18 teams, with Veryan as a late entry and being subject to ground requirements; I can't see why they wouldn't pass. Their facilities are on par or greater than those already voted in
  • There will be 2 promotions to the newly formed St Piran's League and 2 relegation to the Duchy League;
  • As per all Step 5 Leagues down, the ECPL will be subject to sin-bins from this season onwards;
  • Each side must provide a suitably qualified assistant to the match-day official, no financial penalty was stated;
  • The season will start on 17 Aug 19. Fixtures due to be released;
  • It has been stated that sides can request a maximum of 2 date cancellations during the season;
  • Unlike the St Piran League, no statement was made on the use of player's from senior leagues. In keeping with previous ECPL season

18 sides does seem large, an awful lot of games to fit in. Especially when we look at previous iterations of the ECPL. All eyes now on the Duchy AGM with so many sides being lost to the ECPL or St Piran League.

Felt a bit sorry for Bere Alston last night. A last minute application and had to go up against Veryan in the vote. The right decision I guess, considering the misunderstanding around Veryan’s application, but awkward nonetheless.

Looking forward to the start now!

1 hour ago, Paul Collings said:

Just to be clear - there is currently NO promotion and relegation agreement in place between the ecpl and  the Duchy League. 

Surely an agreement must be put in place though? 

The whole point of the new step 7 league was a mandate from the FA stipulating that there just be clear pathway to the NLS for all grassroots clubs. 

My understanding is that the only route to the St Piran league next season will be from either the Combination league or the ECPL. 

Without an agreement regarding promotion and relegation between Duchy and the ECPL then there’s is still no clear pathway for Duchy sides wishing to progress.

The ecpl secretary cancelled any agreement last season.  I would expect the situation to be discussed but, in my opinion, ecpl members have muddied the waters by accepting two Plymouth sides into the league and making it 18 strong when it was an ideal opportunity to make the league 16 and all Cornish as the FA wanted. It has also been suggested that someone at the ecpl actually approached Duchy clubs encouraging them to join which i think is out of order and doesn't bode well for future relations.

7 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

The ecpl secretary cancelled any agreement last season.  I would expect the situation to be discussed but, in my opinion, ecpl members have muddied the waters by accepting two Plymouth sides into the league and making it 18 strong when it was an ideal opportunity to make the league 16 and all Cornish as the FA wanted. It has also been suggested that someone at the ecpl actually approached Duchy clubs encouraging them to join which i think is out of order and doesn't bode well for future relations.

Surely if an agreement can’t be reach then it’s logical for the Duchy League to see if they can also be a feeder league to the Step 7. 

I cant see the FA allowing there to not be a clear pathway for promotion/relegation as this goes directly against the whole idea of their mandate. 

I can only see the ECPL suffering as a result; teams will simply bypass the league and look directly to St Piran’s if they can.

From St Piran Secretary Steve Carpenter as posted elsewhere on this forum:-

"Two up from the ECPL to the East Division and 2 up from the Combination to the West Division is the simplistic answer but there are a number of contingencies.  Promotion is not automatic.  Feeder League clubs seeking promotion must apply to the League (not the FA) by 31st December.  All covered under Rule 22 which the clubs have all had - the rules will be published on the Full-Time site once it's active and that date is dependent on all of our clubs completing their CCFA Affiliation process.  The relevant bit of Rule 22 is reproduced below: 

Rule 22e.

i.  Promotion to this League from nominated feeder leagues shall be as described below.  For the purposes of this Rule the nominated feeder leagues shall be the East Cornwall Premier League for the East Division and the Cornwall Combination League for the West Division.

ii.     Devon based Clubs playing in feeder leagues shall not be eligible for promotion to this League.

iii.    Only two teams from each feeder League shall be eligible for promotion to this league.  Should more than two clubs apply from any given Feeder League then the highest placed eligible clubs, as described below shall be the only ones considered.

iv.    At the conclusion of fixtures the Champion and Runner-Up Clubs of each feeder league, provided they have the necessary grading criteria as described at Schedule E (subject to any FA dispensations in place at the time) will be eligible for promotion to this League.  Where either the Champion or Runner-Up club does not apply or is either unable or unwilling or ineligible under Rule 22e(ii) to take promotion then an eligible club finishing 3rd or 4th shall be able to be promoted.  Where the clubs finishing 3rd or 4th also do not apply or are either unable or unwilling or ineligible to take promotion then no promotion shall take place that season.

v.     In the same way, where a reserve team or teams of Clubs in membership of this League fill feeder league promotion places and the league has the maximum allowed number of reserve teams in membership, then a club finishing in the top two of the teams eligible to be promoted may be permitted to fill any vacancies but a club promoted must still finish in the top 5 of the feeder league.  Should no clubs be eligible under this rule then no promotion shall take place that season.

vi.     Where Devon based Clubs fill feeder league promotion places as described in Rule 22e(iv) above then a club finishing in the top two of the teams eligible to be promoted may be permitted to fill any vacancies but a club promoted must still finish in the top 5 of the feeder league.  Should no clubs be eligible under this rule then no promotion shall take place that season."

3 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

I can understand why you might feel a little aggrieved Paul, but the situation was not a great one for anyone, ECPL or Duchy League.

I also see your point about a 16-team all-Cornish League, but some applications were received later than the Plymouth sides who had already been elected at the SGM. In hindsight, it may have been best to leave all elections until the AGM, but I understand why the ECPL moved quickly to ensure there was a league of substance. Personally, 18-teams is probably too many, but only time will tell. We're up for it anyway!

It would be a shame if the ECPL and Duchy League couldn't put differences aside and agree on a promotion and relegation agreement, for the long-term sake of East Cornwall football generally. Clear progression through the leagues ought to be available if clubs want it. The restructure of Step 6 and 7 has had a huge impact on all leagues, but while I think it may take a few seasons to level off and for clubs to find their level, I believe we should embrace it.

The ECPL and Duchy are still strong, with many members. I think the real loser here, is the P&WDL whose numbers are diminishing season on season, along with the quality arguably.

5 hours ago, Shouter said:

Felt a bit sorry for Bere Alston last night. A last minute application and had to go up against Veryan in the vote. The right decision I guess, considering the misunderstanding around Veryan’s application, but awkward nonetheless.

Looking forward to the start now!

If Gerrans go ahead with their Combo application and were successful would the door be left open for Bere Alston?

10 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

How can Veryan be subject to their ground meeting specifications? I thought they didn’t exist at this level now? The Combination were instructed to scrap theirs?

I don’t see why local leagues can’t still have standards required to be met, even if not so bizarre and unnecessary as the FA ground grading scheme! 

6 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

Massively Agree with this. 16 Cornish sides was the way to go

Still dont get the point in having Step 7 with a set of league divisions under that (ECPL & Combo) and then a set of more league divisions under them (Dutchy & Trelawney). Anything under Step 7 shoud have opportunity for promotion into it. Top highest placed accepted team from each division should have opportunity for promotion into Step 7 from each seperate league. If ECPL and Combo run with 1 division each then they cant relegate as they are a 1 division league. Personal opinion but understand its preferred to be seen to have a senior and junior league set up with promotion and relegations between (even though all recreational not on pyramid ladder)!

Also where is Plymstock Utd?

What’s the issue with the pitch at St Stephen?? Decent surface, slightly boggy in the top goal mouth after heavy rain but other than I don’t really see any issues!

Miles betters than North Petherwin, Mevagissey, Morwenstow and I’m sure there’s other worse pitches that have been played on in ECPL!

I was thinking Looe, Mevagissey, Plymstock (when they were in), Torpoint 3rds, Padstow, Mount Gould and Roche.  Purely on the fact that Veryan have a fairly flat pitch and a small stand, something the named clubs might not have.

16 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

Name them,then Fanfare

16 hours ago, Fanfare said:

I was thinking Looe, Mevagissey, Plymstock (when they were in), Torpoint 3rds, Padstow, Mount Gould and Roche.  Purely on the fact that Veryan have a fairly flat pitch and a small stand, something the named clubs might not have.

Torpoint Thirds played all but 3 home games at The Mill last season. All games will be at The Mill for new season.

19 hours ago, karaoke said:

I will try, Looe, St Stephen, Padstow St Cleer, North Petherwin and the worst Mount Gould. Not sure about Garrens as never been there.

Not aware of any problems with the facilities at my club, clubhouse, stands, dugouts all seem to be in good order, maybe we should stop picking fault with other clubs facilities, your more than welcome to join me at St Cleer for a guided tour and a chat any time. I may offer you a coffee if the rivers high enough to fill the kettle!

58 minutes ago, Shouter said:

Torpoint Thirds played all but 3 home games at The Mill last season. All games will be at The Mill for new season.

There will be more league fixtures this season though, 51 home games at the mill across the three leagues (plus any cups), quite a challenge for the groundsman and the weather will be crucial. Horson Field is perfectly adequate as a back up however if it is available - much better than not having a game on a Saturday. 

5 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

Not aware of any problems with the facilities at my club, clubhouse, stands, dugouts all seem to be in good order, maybe we should stop picking fault with other clubs facilities, your more than welcome to join me at St Cleer for a guided tour and a chat any time. I may offer you a coffee if the rivers high enough to fill the kettle!

Absolutely nothing wrong with St Cleer, It's just that when I went to Veryan I thought it was a nice set up with a level pitch.

5 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

8 hours ago, Shouter said:

I've only been to Horson once and that was to watch Rame Peninsula.

Looking back and although standards have come and gone, if Calstock, Delabole and Lostwithiel are good enough, why not the new clubs. (Still think Veryan is better than the named three!)

On 14/06/2019 at 15:31, Fanfare said:

Roche! Need to explain that ? 

No cover. Not changed in the 20 years I've been going. Not a particular favourite but surely a little shack or something isn't beyond the realms of possibility. 

Some players list St Austell as a ground they like playing at. When I played there I hated it. Just my opinion.

Agree with the Horsham comments but Torpoint will always try to allow as many games to be played at the Mill which is a great occasion for any team. The changing rooms and showers at Horsham Field would need an upgrade if there were to be permanent ECPL football there but the pitch is fine barring days of heavy rain. Good luck to all the new teams in the league this year

On 14/06/2019 at 15:01, Titus Bramble said:

What’s the issue with the pitch at St Stephen?? Decent surface, slightly boggy in the top goal mouth after heavy rain but other than I don’t really see any issues!

Miles betters than North Petherwin, Mevagissey, Morwenstow and I’m sure there’s other worse pitches that have been played on in ECPL!

At St Stephen that goal mouth/area issue has been solved. That's now the best part of the pitch. Good sized changing rooms, nice big pitch, stand?

St Cleer has nothing wrong with it at all, neither does Veryan.

Padstow is alright, Gerrans is also alright (although they both have slightly smaller changing rooms and Gerrans has a slope and very open, but they can't help location).

It's grassroots football after all.