Cornwall Football Forum

2020-21 planning?

Which SWPL sides are already planning for next season, 2020-21 and life in the Western League?

Just a guess but I would think for the next 3-4 seasons the FA will not let anyone off promotion as they will want a more Westernised, Western League Premier asap.

First couple of seasons, one promoted each year from SWPL will allow Millbrook and Torpoint back into the fold.

After that then it might be easier to avoid fixed promotion to the Western League as there may not be clubs in the St Piran able to step up if they are not in the promotion places, unless they will by-pass them to find lower placed sides with lights.

But if I was on the committee of a fancied SWPL side, I would be making sure any under-spend was being banked to pay for next season and beyond.

If they can make a case to say why they shouldn’t go up, they can avoid being promoted the first season, but should they finish champions again, don’t think there will be any sympathy and looking possibly at demotion if promotion not taken again.

1 hour ago, rocky170267 said:

Not quite sure how that’s going to help torpoint and Millbrook as surely “east is east” !!

I think now they are classed as being in the east and that is probably how it will stay

The west/east line will be flexible depending on which clubs take promotion surely. If a west club goes up, it might mean an opening for change from one swpl Division  to the other.

7 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Which SWPL sides are already planning for next season, 2020-21 and life in the Western League?

Just a guess but I would think for the next 3-4 seasons the FA will not let anyone off promotion as they will want a more Westernised, Western League Premier asap.

First couple of seasons, one promoted each year from SWPL will allow Millbrook and Torpoint back into the fold.

After that then it might be easier to avoid fixed promotion to the Western League as there may not be clubs in the St Piran able to step up if they are not in the promotion places, unless they will by-pass them to find lower placed sides with lights.

But if I was on the committee of a fancied SWPL side, I would be making sure any under-spend was being banked to pay for next season and beyond.

If a club finish as league champions, and then refuse to take promotion, then withdraw invitation to the FA Vase and FA Cup for that season. Simple.

Ground grading shouldn't be accepted as an excuse,. If they are chucking around the sort of expenses/signing on fees mentioned here, then they can sort their facilities out.

Can someone clarify to me - from what I can tell each West and East division gets two promotion slots to the Western League, whilst the Western League has just two relegation slots.. My information could be wrong, but either way I'm not sure how it's going to work. 

I'd love to see three relegated from the Western League, with automatic promotion for East and West winners, with a promotion play off between East and West runners up for the third promotion place.

The only way to make the Western League truly "western" is for champion clubs to take promotion. Now the ratio of those entering step 5 is 2 to 1 in favour of Devon and Cornwall clubs v Western 1, in as little as 5 seasons over 50% of participants could be former SWPL.

It seems to me from all the negative comments on here that too many Cornish clubs are content to be big fish in a little pond .

10 minutes ago, Zac said:

Can someone clarify to me - from what I can tell each West and East division gets two promotion slots to the Western League, whilst the Western League has just two relegation slots.. My information could be wrong, but either way I'm not sure how it's going to work. 

I'd love to see three relegated from the Western League, with automatic promotion for East and West winners, with a promotion play off between East and West runners up for the third promotion place.

1 up, 2 down , making 3 spaces for promotion (2 swpl, 1 western 1) ?

Clubs no longer get promoted to a league, but to a step. So next season four clubs from Devon and Cornwall could get promoted to step 5. The fa would then allocate all step 5 clubs to a particular league. The 20 most westerly clubs would end up in western. Clubs further east would be placed in another league. This has already happened to Chipping Sodbury this season. All league boundaries are now fluid at step 6 or above. If more clubs from Devon and Cornwall go up and survive, the Western league will naturally migrate west. Western league would still relegate three clubs but to step 6, not any particular league. Lateral movement is a fairer system across the board. In summary clubs are promoted or relegated to steps, not leagues. Clubs are then allocated geographically.

17 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

Clubs no longer get promoted to a league, but to a step. So next season four clubs from Devon and Cornwall could get promoted to step 5. The fa would then allocate all step 5 clubs to a particular league. The 20 most westerly clubs would end up in western. Clubs further east would be placed in another league. This has already happened to Chipping Sodbury this season. All league boundaries are now fluid at step 6 or above. If more clubs from Devon and Cornwall go up and survive, the Western league will naturally migrate west. Western league would still relegate three clubs but to step 6, not any particular league. Lateral movement is a fairer system across the board. In summary clubs are promoted or relegated to steps, not leagues. Clubs are then allocated geographically.

Well explained, that makes a lot of sense

As mentioned in some previous posts. Hopefully some teams now will show some ambition move up a league. If this happens then more teams from Devon and cornwall will be in the western league and make it more attractive for teams getting promotion. 

I also think teams that win the league or finish in promotion places, if they do not take up the option of promotion they should be relegated to the next step down (not sure if this rule is already I place). 

On 10/06/2019 at 18:45, Del Boy said:

As mentioned in some previous posts. Hopefully some teams now will show some ambition move up a league. If this happens then more teams from Devon and cornwall will be in the western league and make it more attractive for teams getting promotion. 

I also think teams that win the league or finish in promotion places, if they do not take up the option of promotion they should be relegated to the next step down (not sure if this rule is already I place). 

Only League Champions have to accept promotion or face relegation. Others can apply for promotion to replace the Champion Club, should they opt not to accept it. To be considered for promotion, a Club has to finish in the top 5.