Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League New Application

The LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League are pleased to announce that Lanner FC have applied to join the league as member.

Their application is being currently considered.

If accepted they will be the 15th side in the League, and if Gerrans and St Mawes are accepted then the League will have it's required 16 sides.

So by my reckoning the Trelawny Premier if it stays at 14 could look something like this

Illogan

Mawnan

CSOM

Holmans

stithians

St Buryan

Troon

Threemilestone

Rosudgeon 

Probus

Newlyn Lions

Goonhavern

Newlyn NA

St Keverne

i didn’t include Halestown as they were in the relegation place in TP and St Agnes were the other side in the bottom 2 but they were promoted to Combo!! 🤔

its an interesting mix personally I’m glad to see Illogan and Mawnan in there with us and CSOM so could still be a good close scrap for the title and throw the newly promoted TMS and Rosudgeon in as well could see some really good close games.

the advantage the Trelawny has on Combo is the fact the sides are closer together in league positions and the majority of the better sides in Div 1 are moving up naturally through promotion rather then ‘application’

Probably stronger than the 'Combo' league :yahoo:

How is it that the Combo is still classed as a Senior league as they still enter into the Senior Cup? isn't this a CCFA ruling rather than following the actual structure of the FA as they are no longer a step 7 league? surly the Trelawny Prem has just as much right to compete in the Senior Cup also doesn't it if this is the case?

51 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Probably stronger than the 'Combo' league :yahoo:

How is it that the Combo is still classed as a Senior league as they still enter into the Senior Cup? isn't this a CCFA ruling rather than following the actual structure of the FA as they are no longer a step 7 league? surly the Trelawny Prem has just as much right to compete in the Senior Cup also doesn't it if this is the case?

Certainly looks a strong division Si.

The Combination has never been a Step 7 league but you're right it is a CCFA Rule that they rank higher than Trelawny.  As to who competes in which County Cup, that's up to the Competitions Committee.

38 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Certainly looks a strong division Si.

The Combination has never been a Step 7 league but you're right it is a CCFA Rule that they rank higher than Trelawny.  As to who competes in which County Cup, that's up to the Competitions Committee.

do you think the combo should be in the senior cup on the back of what has undoubtedly been a shambolic few weeks, and, throw into that the clubs now within their league and facilities (lack of)? surly now is the time for the CCFA to draw a definitive line between the new ST Pirans league and the lower leagues combo and trelawny divisions? 

the combination league should be competing in the junior cup, end of!

31 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Who knows what the CCFA may decide in the future?

They could introduce a new "intermediate" cup.

Too many teams in Junior Cup already, in my opinion.

Regardless, Combo League 1st teams will be in the Senior Cup for the coming season!

2 hours ago, Sijames said:

do you think the combo should be in the senior cup on the back of what has undoubtedly been a shambolic few weeks, and, throw into that the clubs now within their league and facilities (lack of)? surly now is the time for the CCFA to draw a definitive line between the new ST Pirans league and the lower leagues combo and trelawny divisions? 

I have my opinion but I'm not going to share it on here as my role as Chair of Rules Revision is to ensure the rules to support the decisions made by others are in place and up to date.  As we stand, Combo clubs 1st teams will be in the Senior Cup next season.  Participation in all of the cup competitions will always remain under review.

@Pitty

Your make up of the Premier Division is pretty much the same as the on I’ve got here. The only difference being St Keverne (I still have Lanner in mine). If Lanner are successful in their bid to join the Combination League, St Keverne may well step up into the Premier Division. Whether they’d be happy with that however would be a different matter altogether seeing as they finished 3rd from bottom of Division One.

The other teams all pretty much move up a Division except for those in relegation places - there is a ruling that states that where teams have moved out of the divisions, relegations can be cancelled so the teams in relegation positions could actually stay in their respective divisions. In terms of relegations, if you take Division 2 with St Day and Redruth, they would remain in Division 2 which is completely made up of teams from Division 3, so in realistic terms, a relegation has occurred. If they were to be relegated, they’d go into Division 3 which is made up of the whole of Division 4, so in hindsight they’d have been relegated twice.

Ive got an idea in my head of what the Divisions will look like next season based on the information that I currently have. There’s a lot of movement between divisions which has lead to an issue in Division 3. To spread the numbers evenly across Divisions of approximately 14, it leave Division 3 with 17. That’s a problematic number in terms of Divison size. The annoying thing is for teams such as Praze and Theeemilestone Reserves who have ended up getting promoted - only to be followed by the teams from their previous division, so a promotion hasn’t really been achieved in that sense. Personally, I would promote those teams again so that they actually go into the higher division that they were going into two weeks ago before this came about - whether we can do that or not is a different conversation altogether.

There was always going to be a lot of movement for us and I’ve always said we’d lose Division 4... however the actual affect it is having on League Divisional Structure isn’t great 

@Dave Bartlam is it a possibility that a new team of accomplished players could join the league and go straight into division 2 say instead of starting at the bottom?

I heard that a North Devon team who reformed last season knew they were too good to start at the bottom and requested to start higher but were rebuffed. With a team including ex Tiverton players, they were a different class and beat one team 16-0. They won the league but were far too good for the standard they were forced to be in.

37 minutes ago, Whistle Blower said:

@Dave Bartlam is it a possibility that a new team of accomplished players could join the league and go straight into division 2 say instead of starting at the bottom?

I heard that a North Devon team who reformed last season knew they were too good to start at the bottom and requested to start higher but were rebuffed. With a team including ex Tiverton players, they were a different class and beat one team 16-0. They won the league but were far too good for the standard they were forced to be in.

In an ideal world - that is what you'd do. You'd throw a team in at the standard they should be. However, rules govern the league's and so they have to be adhered to - which means they would have to start right at the bottom. Not ideal at all but rules are rules, as the saying goes.

We do see it regularly at this level, teams playing in the bottom division that should be a few divisions higher.

Hopefully, this massive re-structure will level out the playing fields a little bit.

As clubs have been allowed to choose what league they play in next season (St Piran, Combo or stay in Trelawny) I wonder if the best way to finally level everything out for the Trelawny League once and for all would be with a ‘full reset’ - specifically by asking all clubs which Trelawny division they want their teams to play in next season. If the T League acted on these findings  this could see all the top sides fast-tracked to the top divisions  and also let the struggling teams find a more comfortable, competitive level.

Yes I know this sounds ridiculous, and would never happen, but I think a lot of clubs might actually be quite receptive of it given what’s happening with combo restructuring at the moment. 

Dave perhaps the League could do an informal poll of all clubs? Then  you could personally input results into an algorithm also considering things like history, facilities, pitch quality, results, disciplinary record, winning differentials etc etc and then post on here the optimum division line-ups? Please!? 🤞🏻 😀

33 minutes ago, Mr M said:

As clubs have been allowed to choose what league they play in next season (St Piran, Combo or stay in Trelawny) I wonder if the best way to finally level everything out for the Trelawny League once and for all would be with a ‘full reset’ - specifically by asking all clubs which Trelawny division they want their teams to play in next season. If the T League acted on these findings  this could see all the top sides fast-tracked to the top divisions  and also let the struggling teams find a more comfortable, competitive level.

Yes I know this sounds ridiculous, and would never happen, but I think a lot of clubs might actually be quite receptive of it given what’s happening with combo restructuring at the moment. 

Dave perhaps the League could do an informal poll of all clubs? Then  you could personally input results into an algorithm also considering things like history, facilities, pitch quality, results, disciplinary record, winning differentials etc etc and then post on here the optimum division line-ups? Please!? 🤞🏻 😀

See I thought a out this aswell. For one season only, ask the club's what division they would like to be in. I'll be honest with you, I've put the proposed Division List across to the President, Chairman and League Secretary this evening and looking at it, I think there's a pretty good spread of teams at the right kind of standard. With the exception of Praze, Perranwell Reserves, Threemilestone Reserves and Tregony, all the teams have moved into new divisions - the teams mentioned above have moved into higher divisions but unfortunately have been followed by all the club's from Division Three and Four respectively. So whilst they have climbed a division, they're actually competing against 90% of the same teams from last season. Not ideal by any means and I know that TMS have publically made their opinion on this clear. The rubbish thing for me looking at it is there's nothing we can do except follow FA ruling. 

My personal proposal to the League was to give Praze and TMS Reserves a "double jump" which would see them jump Into the next division on which would actually put them against the teams that they'd have played against had none of the reshuffle above taken place. Unfortunately, it's something I'm not sure can be done.

Trust me when I say that I would like nothing more than to carry out your suggestion and actually ask the opinion of the club's... Unfortunately, I have to stick to my role only within the League so this sort of thing falls beyond my role as Reg. Sec (You may have noticed it's been rather quiet on our social media sites recently). My suggestion would be for anyone that would like to have a say on these sort of things, put them across to @Trelawny Secretary and he can take them forward. 

Ultimately, the structure of the league, how it is governed and run is down to the Club's. Our Member Clubs are the ones that have the ability to decide what happens - this can be done at the AGM. As a League Committee, we are hear to serve our member clubs so any suggestion put across to us should be given maximum attention :)

Hopefully, this will be the last significant re-shuffle that we see for a while. 

24 minutes ago, baldy said:

When the TL was formed I suggested that teams should be allowed to have a multiple promotion based on points per game. I was summarily laughed off the forum. How times have changed!

Whilst good in theory, it's not "how it's done". It's just unfortunate that over the past few seasons, the teams that have won promotion have found themselves being followed up into the new division by 4-6 of their previous one! Unfortunately, within recent years that's all down to multiple teams above them folding :(