Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League New Application

The LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League are pleased to announce that Lanner FC have applied to join the league as member.

Their application is being currently considered.

If accepted they will be the 15th side in the League, and if Gerrans and St Mawes are accepted then the League will have it's required 16 sides.

8 hours ago, Whistle Blower said:

Imagine someone like St Austell and their ex Truro management team changing at The Coppice then hiking up Tresavean Hill to the pitch! Long live the Cornwall Senior Cup!

Sounds like the good old days to me...did that sort of thing all the time 40 years ago lol.

Mollycoddled now...lmfao

This is brilliant! :unsure:

Why on earth have the committee ruined their own reputation and tarnished the history of the league by carrying on like this? They could of head their heads high and admitted the logical thing to do is for the remaining teams to go into the Trelawny Prem and the combo league as we know it folds.  instead they are now becoming the laughing stock of Cornish football, no matter who wins the league / cups within the league from next season onwards it wont mean anything at all as its no longer looked at as being a 'good standard' as it always has been.

Just look at the grounds for next season, Ruan Minor, Lanner, Helston thirds (playing behind the fence on the circus site!), ST Day reserves (on the spare waterlooged 9/10 pitch), wendron thirds (banana pitch!).  I cant wait for Lanner to any of the above teams to ask spectators for £2 to watch the game :clapper: . Very naïve for some of them to make this jump, which could be extremely detrimental to their club in the long run!

Without knowing the facilities where Lanner play, I have no idea if they are suitable to play in the Combo. When people say there are no ground grading regs, that's not strictly true. Any such regs cannot exceed those for the St Piran League, but I would say that having on-site changing rooms and toilet facilities for players and paying spectators do not fall into that category!

Fair play to Lanner for being ambitious. There’s been a few moons since I last watched a game there but from what I remember it’s a decent sized flat pitch in a sort of bowl, bit like a poor mans Nanpean!? There’s worse pitches in the Combo that’s for sure! Must admit it would be good to see a Lee Hodges rock up with St.Austell or a Darren Gilbert with Bodmin in the Senior Cup!! 😂🏆 Parked behind the goal looking down on the pitch the last time I was there and it made for lovely viewing! Almost ripped the bottom of my car off going up the lane though to be fair! 🤔 Agree with Older, for us more seasoned OAP types we got changed anywhere and played on anything back in the seventies/eighties so just roll those sleeves up and get on with it! Think we know the Combo as it was won’t exist anymore but there’s no reason it shouldn’t be a half decent and well run league and good luck to those 16 teams whoever they may be next season 👍

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

Without knowing the facilities where Lanner play, I have no idea if they are suitable to play in the Combo. When people say there are no ground grading regs, that's not strictly true. Any such regs cannot exceed those for the St Piran League, but I would say that having on-site changing rooms and toilet facilities for players and paying spectators do not fall into that category!

they've applied, which is all you need to do nowadays by the looks of things #Desperate

2 hours ago, Sijames said:

This is brilliant! :unsure:

Why on earth have the committee ruined their own reputation and tarnished the history of the league by carrying on like this? They could of head their heads high and admitted the logical thing to do is for the remaining teams to go into the Trelawny Prem and the combo league as we know it folds.  instead they are now becoming the laughing stock of Cornish football, no matter who wins the league / cups within the league from next season onwards it wont mean anything at all as its no longer looked at as being a 'good standard' as it always has been.

Just look at the grounds for next season, Ruan Minor, Lanner, Helston thirds (playing behind the fence on the circus site!), ST Day reserves (on the spare waterlooged 9/10 pitch), wendron thirds (banana pitch!).  I cant wait for Lanner to any of the above teams to ask spectators for £2 to watch the game :clapper: . Very naïve for some of them to make this jump, which could be extremely detrimental to their club in the long run!

St.day Res play on the main pitch. They only use the 3rd team pitch if the First team get a fixture change.

1 hour ago, willy7 said:

St.day Res play on the main pitch. They only use the 3rd team pitch if the First team get a fixture change.

well done, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that one out, but that'll happen more often than not!

6 hours ago, Sijames said:

Helston Athletic is delighted that its 3rd team is able to compete in LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League, as well as looking to play as many of its home games as possible on its main pitch, from start of 19/20 season.

Good luck to all teams competing in the league next season and full marks to those clubs / teams willing to make the step up. 👏  

Wendron’s ‘banana pitch’ was combination approved last year and has hosted SWPL Div 1 fixtures. 

I echo Paul’s comments from Helston. I know the situation isn’t ideal (in my opinion the clubs are the only ones to blame as they are the ones who applied and then withdrew leaving each division scrambling); and each league has done the best with what they have been left with. 

As for Ground Gradings, it is something that shouldn’t have existed at this step anyway. My credit goes to the Combination League for doing their best in keeping the history and the league running, I’m sure it will be something monitored throughout the season. 

As for Lanner or Ruan or anyone else applying. Fair play to them, especially if their ambitions are to progress into Step football where they can access extra grants and funding. Ruan aren’t short of backing, so expect them to turn some heads. Even if they were to get relegated after one season, they’d be in a higher division then the one they’re currently in - clever! 

15 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

As for Lanner or Ruan or anyone else applying. Fair play to them, especially if their ambitions are to progress into Step football where they can access extra grants and funding. Ruan aren’t short of backing, so expect them to turn some heads. Even if they were to get relegated after one season, they’d be in a higher division then the one they’re currently in - clever! 

We have nothing to lose in applying. The very worst that can happen is we get relegated and end up in Trelawny Prem, where we would be any way. At least we can say we tried.

Maybe I'm missing something but I feel that lots of clubs have obtained Combo football via the back door and not earned the right through success. For many years it has been generally agreed that the standard of local football has got steadily worse and then you have clubs who either fold or do not fulfil their fixtures because their players are being slaughtered week in week out and they do not have the stomach to stay and fight to improve. Can you honestly believe that this scenario will not compound matters?  You cannot knock a clubs' ambition but as I said, this just doesn't feel right.

Looking at how the league is potentially shaping up, it may be more competitive than it has been lately. 

Le Boss, the same could be said of any standard. Several Combination clubs were unable to fulfil their fixtures in the 18/19 season, as were several teams of a higher standard!

The standard overall may not be as high as recent seasons - the league is not to blame for this - but I’m sure that it will be equally, if not more competitive. 

On 03/06/2019 at 19:04, peggy78 said:

We have nothing to lose in applying. The very worst that can happen is we get relegated and end up in Trelawny Prem, where we would be any way. At least we can say we tried.

Good on you Adam and the boys, are you currently working on Tresavean,for the changing rooms, the club wanted there a few years ago. And Tresavean is a lovely flat pitch and with Adams knowledge of being a groundsman I expect it to be upto Standards better than most combo pitches. 

1 hour ago, willy7 said:

I was going to say wouldn't they need dugouts but some teams in combo didn't have them last year. What about a bench though? I agree with you Ralf it is a nice flat pitch but it gets lots of holes dug out of it by the rabbits.😂

I agree but with the Vermadin treatment or whatever it Is Moles will be stopped and I'm sure thatadam being a former GroundKeeper of a golf course will know what to do regarding Rabbit holes. Also with many tradesmen involved with the club, dugouts wouldnt take long to knock up, and maybe even money raised or grants there will be some sort of changing rooms, seeing as coppice is shut. 

6 minutes ago, Asterix said:

I agree but with the Vermadin treatment or whatever it Is Moles will be stopped and I'm sure thatadam being a former GroundKeeper of a golf course will know what to do regarding Rabbit holes. Also with many tradesmen involved with the club, dugouts wouldnt take long to knock up, and maybe even money raised or grants there will be some sort of changing rooms, seeing as coppice is shut. 

I think The Coppice has reopened Ralph.

46 minutes ago, Asterix said:

Not former, but current 🤣 I would hope I know what I'm talking about as I'm as qualified as certain pitch advisers doing the rounds currently. We have done, and will continue, to do work to improve the pitch, which had only one game called of last season. 

21 minutes ago, peggy78 said:

Not former, but current 🤣 I would hope I know what I'm talking about as I'm as qualified as certain pitch advisers doing the rounds currently. We have done, and will continue, to do work to improve the pitch, which had only one game called of last season. 

There you, go could only say former as didn't know wether you still was 🙄. Good on Lanner, good to see the club progressing, Great boys there 😎

With the Combination League now sharing the news that St Ives Town Reserves and Rosudgeon have applied it join the League, I must say it's getting stupid.

St Ives Town (made up I believe of a number of Halsetown players) have never kicked a ball in the Trelawny League. They have only just formed but have applied to bypass the Trelawny League, straight into the Combination League. Surely that's not right? Whilst I appreciate they have been given an opportunity to play football in that League and it is their every right to apply for a vacancy, surely it's a bit mind-boggling that they can completely bypass the league's which it's been mandatory for many, many years to work your way up in, to then gain promotion into said League. This isn't a rant at the Club because as I've said, if they're offered the opportunity to join the Combination League straight away - they have every right to do so. It gives an indication of the club's ambition. But from a League point of view, really?!

6 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

With the Combination League now sharing the news that St Ives Town Reserves and Rosudgeon have applied it join the League, I must say it's getting stupid.

St Ives Town (made up I believe of a number of Halsetown players) have never kicked a ball in the Trelawny League. They have only just formed but have applied to bypass the Trelawny League, straight into the Combination League. Surely that's not right? Whilst I appreciate they have been given an opportunity to play football in that League and it is their every right to apply for a vacancy, surely it's a bit mind-boggling that they can completely bypass the league's which it's been mandatory for many, many years to work your way up in, to then gain promotion into said League. This isn't a rant at the Club because as I've said, if they're offered the opportunity to join the Combination League straight away - they have every right to do so. It gives an indication of the club's ambition. But from a League point of view, really?!

Its turning the Combo and Trelawney leagues into a laughing stock!

the CCFA should be stepping in, they seem a law to their own? CCFA's supposed to be a governing body yet they are letting them do what they want including letting teams enter who haven't even proven themselves at the lower level, could be incompetent both on and off the pitch (financially also) yet just so they can keep their old mans club league going they are aloud to do so? irresponsible from all parties in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

the CCFA should be stepping in, they seem a law to their own? CCFA's supposed to be a governing body yet they are letting them do what they want including letting teams enter who haven't even proven themselves at the lower level, could be incompetent both on and off the pitch (financially also) yet just so they can keep their old mans club league going they are aloud to do so? irresponsible from all parties in my eyes.

Get your facts right.

None of these sides "Have been let in" as you say. Every and any club can apply to fill in a vacancy in the League just like any and every club had a chance to join the St Piran League.

As stated in postings above, each side has to put it's case for entry into the League and it is up to THE CLUBS who they want to fill the vacancies until we have up to 16 sides.

All the League is doing is listing the sides that have applied to fill those vacancies.

No-where or any-where is it saying, it wants that side or it prefers this side. It is listing the sides to give the current sides a chance to think about who is applying.

Paul, the league are trying to survive because they've had an exodus of teams. No-one can look at the Combination League negatively for trying to survive. I don't see that tools posts anymore but I can obviously see you replying, don't worry about it.

Combo didn't want this situation, neither did Trelawny. But you have to do what you have to do. It is, of course up to your member clubs to decide whether a club can enter.

Out of interest, as only five or six clubs remain in the combination league as it stands, are they the only ones eligible to vote at your AGM?

My person opinion.

That I am not 100% sure it depends on how you look at the rules.

To me personally, the clubs that applied on or before the original closing date and were accepted are now members of the League and it is those 13 that should choose the other 3 to make up their numbers.

Others may look at the rules another way and say it should only be up to the last 5 sides left to pick the other 3 sides.

Being disabled, I just hope the clubs think about facilities, ease of access, parking, etc and not choose sides to fill in the spaces on a cult of the personality of the people involved in any club. 

I'm pretty sure that to become a member club, you have to be elected first. Definitely worth checking with @Steve Carpenter to make sure you don't get it wrong because that would only lead to further criticism which isn't what you want. It was just a thought I had a moment ago 

(D) Each Club shall be empowered to send two delegates to an Annual General Meeting. Each Club shall be entitled to one vote only. Not less than 14 days’ notice shall be given of any Meeting.

(E) Clubs who have withdrawn their Membership of the Competition during the season being concluded or who are not continuing Membership shall be entitled to attend but shall vote only on matters relating to the season being concluded. This provision will not apply to Clubs expelled in accordance with Rule 17.

(F) All voting shall be conducted by a show of voting cards unless a ballot be demanded by at least 50% of the delegates qualified to vote or the Chairman so decides.

(G) No individual shall be entitled to vote on behalf of more than one Member Club.

(H)   Any continuing Member Club must be represented at the Annual General Meeting.

(I)    Officers and Management Committee members shall be entitled to attend and vote at an Annual General Meeting.

31 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I'm pretty sure that to become a member club, you have to be elected first. Definitely worth checking with @Steve Carpenter to make sure you don't get it wrong because that would only lead to further criticism which isn't what you want. It was just a thought I had a moment ago 

Thanks Dave but I'm sure John Mead is all over this.

The constitution is set at the AGM not before and that's when the rule you quote comes into effect.

I have nothing against sides taking the opportunity to progress but would question the competitiveness of a league which will draw teams from over 4 divisions - players don’t like losing.......players really hate being on the end of a hammering fair play to Carharrack they kept it going this year as did Ludgvan in SWPL but it could be pretty embarrassing for the league if some ‘comedy’ scorelines start to appear and sides as a result start to struggle for players Which believe me will happen..........I could be totally wrong and I usually am but the current applicants/members and the league they were in with position they finished is below considering the combo sides finished in the bottom half of the Combo would it not be wiser to make a decision to stop the farce and put them into Trelawny premier keeping all the leagues competitive especially considering their are 2 spare places with Penwith and Halestown folding!!!

combo (19 Sides)

pendeen (12) lizard (14) Culdrose (15) porthleven (18) Carharrack (19)

Trelawny Premier (14 sides)

penryn (3) Helston (5) St Day (9) St Agnes (13)

Trelawny 1 (14 sides)

Rosudgeon (2) Wendron (3) Perranporth (4) Lanner (8) Hayle (10) 

Trelawny 2 (14 Sides)

Ruan (1)

No League 

St Ives

1 hour ago, Pitty said:

I have nothing against sides taking the opportunity to progress but would question the competitiveness of a league which will draw teams from over 4 divisions - players don’t like losing.......players really hate being on the end of a hammering fair play to Carharrack they kept it going this year as did Ludgvan in SWPL but it could be pretty embarrassing for the league if some ‘comedy’ scorelines start to appear and sides as a result start to struggle for players Which believe me will happen..........I could be totally wrong and I usually am but the current applicants/members and the league they were in with position they finished is below considering the combo sides finished in the bottom half of the Combo would it not be wiser to make a decision to stop the farce and put them into Trelawny premier keeping all the leagues competitive especially considering their are 2 spare places with Penwith and Halestown folding!!!

combo (19 Sides)

pendeen (12) lizard (14) Culdrose (15) porthleven (18) Carharrack (19)

Trelawny Premier (14 sides)

penryn (3) Helston (5) St Day (9) St Agnes (13)

Trelawny 1 (14 sides)

Rosudgeon (2) Wendron (3) Perranporth (4) Lanner (8) Hayle (10) 

Trelawny 2 (14 Sides)

Ruan (1)

No League 

St Ives

It's swings & roundabouts for me. Every team from Div 1 would have been playing Trelawney prem if they didn't apply to combo, Obviously so would the Trelawney Prem teams. Ruan Minor have apparently got cash to burn & im told they have the best group of players in junior football. St Ives have got a strong squad together from what I gather. I know that the teams from last year's combo have strengthened massively. I think Combo will be very competitive this year, with 5 or 6 teams fancying themselves for the title. 

Seems to me that everyone in combo is happy enough to see how it goes & get on with it, but everyone in Trelawney (who didn't apply) are the ones who are upset. 

Jesus Christ what an absolute shambles. Sack the combo committee ? How can a team that doesn’t exist yet be put in the combination league ( St Ives ) What the hell has the hard work of every club in the Trelawney league & it’s entire committee done to deserve this shambolic mess from the Combination league. The CCFA should also be ashamed for allowing the St Piran changes to take place. 

Needless to say & no disrespect to teams applying but how the hell can you go from Trelawney 2 to the Combo . Fold the Combo & let’s get on with promotion from the Trelawney prem to St Piran. 😌 

1 hour ago, MARKSY said:

The CCFA should also be ashamed for allowing the St Piran changes to take place. 

I'm not going to get into the rights and wrongs of the Combination debate Dave but I will defend the CCFA on this one.  Ultimately there was no choice but to change tack.  At the risk of going over old ground, the remit from the FA was that all clubs must have a clear pathway (should they wish to take it) from the very bottom of local football into the NLS.  The way things panned out, albeit late in the day, there was going to be a very significant inbuilt disincentive for any club in the east to progress which would have been very difficult if not impossible to change.  The only way to maintain the pathway and meet that FA remit was to go to two divisions and after discussions with the FA that was the decision.  It wasn't a decision that was taken lightly as the implications were clearly understood.  There was a meeting with the ECPL and Combination Leagues very soon after the decision was made to make sure everybody knew what was going on and when and what the options were.  Those leagues have now made their decisions and formulated their plans to implement them.