Cornwall Football Forum

As part of the Trelawny Flexi League, I have been running Trelawny FC for two seasons now. The lads have expressed that they would like to play Saturday football for the club.

Looking at various pitches across Camborne and Redruth, the cost is ridiculous for a club that has been created to give people an opportunity to play football rather than to be successful (we've finished rock bottom of the Flexi league for two seasons on the bounce with only two wins across 17 games).

I'd like to give these lads the opportunity to play however the quotes of almost £800_£1000 a season just for facilities is not tenable nor affordable for a club that doesn't charge it's players.

Are there any clubs within the area that would be Interested in a ground share? Maybe you have a ground already and woul benefit from having an extra side play where you are.

If anyone is able to help, please get in touch

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Must be gone down then, we were paying £1200 over 8 or 9 years ago.

We supplied the nets, flags and marked it in as well...no changing rooms either! 

The cost from local associations to host football for the community is nothing short of robbery if you ask me. I remember hearing what Clijah charged clubs - it's amazing how they survive!

3 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

As part of the Trelawny Flexi League, I have been running Trelawny FC for two seasons now. The lads have expressed that they would like to play Saturday football for the club.

Looking at various pitches across Camborne and Redruth, the cost is ridiculous for a club that has been created to give people an opportunity to play football rather than to be successful (we've finished rock bottom of the Flexi league for two seasons on the bounce with only two wins across 17 games).

I'd like to give these lads the opportunity to play however the quotes of almost £800_£1000 a season just for facilities is not tenable nor affordable for a club that doesn't charge it's players.

Are there any clubs within the area that would be Interested in a ground share? Maybe you have a ground already and woul benefit from having an extra side play where you are.

If anyone is able to help, please get in touch

I’m quite surprised by this post. I thought that most clubs established for more than 5 minutes were setup to offer the community the opportunity to play football, not “to be successful” - I know that’s what Troon’s constitution says and I’m sure many others will too. So why not join an established club to avoid/dramatically reduce the sorts of costs you mention? Also, with less effort involved than running your own one team club (I imagine) you could join in with and help an established committee/volunteer/ maintenance structure?

I’m sure many clubs (Troon included) would be more receptive to adding a team to their own club than having the practical inconvenience of a tenant club (I won’t bore you with a list of the typical concerns). This inconvenience might be the reason behind the high quotes you’ve received (i.e “if we’re going to allow them to play here we need to make it worth our club’s while”) or any rejections you might have had.

I would understand a drive to be an independent club if you represented a particular village or town, or a defined group of people, but as I understand it, you don’t - so could you bolster another club and take some pressure off yourselves at the same time?

My comments above are just intended as a suggestion, not a criticism of your efforts or ideas- I’m glad to hear people still want to play football on Saturdays but personally I’ve never been convinced that more independent clubs is the best route to protect the long term health of grassroots at a time when volunteers for off the pitch tasks are thin on the ground.

Hang on, let me get this right......

a league set up to help facilitate football for players who (probably) have been pushed aside from their own clubs due to an influx of players, or, fed up with new clubs joining the leagues and the enjoyment is taken away, want to now enter into a Saturday league....😂 classic!

just join an already established club and stop creating more clubs in such a small area ffs!

3 hours ago, Mr M said:

I’m quite surprised by this post. I thought that most clubs established for more than 5 minutes were setup to offer the community the opportunity to play football, not “to be successful” - I know that’s what Troon’s constitution says and I’m sure many others will too. So why not join an established club to avoid/dramatically reduce the sorts of costs you mention? Also, with less effort involved than running your own one team club (I imagine) you could join in with and help an established committee/volunteer/ maintenance structure?

I’m sure many clubs (Troon included) would be more receptive to adding a team to their own club than having the practical inconvenience of a tenant club (I won’t bore you with a list of the typical concerns). This inconvenience might be the reason behind the high quotes you’ve received (i.e “if we’re going to allow them to play here we need to make it worth our club’s while”) or any rejections you might have had.

I would understand a drive to be an independent club if you represented a particular village or town, or a defined group of people, but as I understand it, you don’t - so could you bolster another club and take some pressure off yourselves at the same time?

My comments above are just intended as a suggestion, not a criticism of your efforts or ideas- I’m glad to hear people still want to play football on Saturdays but personally I’ve never been convinced that more independent clubs is the best route to protect the long term health of grassroots at a time when volunteers for off the pitch tasks are thin on the ground.

The issue I have is that the guys that play for the Trelawny FC side don't play football - some have never played before. That's the purpose of the Flexi League.

They've tried to join regular Saturday teams but have been frustrated by lack of game time, some can't even make the bench for these clubs. With the team I run, you turn up, you play. The team itself doesn't care if the player is good or not - if they commit to playing, they play. The results show that. Because of our ethos, some of these players have expressed they'd like to try and play Saturday football - they've also said they wouldn't want to play for a team other than the one that actually gave them a chance and had some belief in them over the last two seasons.

I have suggested joining an already established club but that notion was not received particularly well by the players. As someone who is spending most of next season away with work again, I can't devote the time to the club so this is up to those that have approached me and asked to join a side. 

We all know teams that have a number of players that turn up every game and are put on the bench each week - I remember the highest number of appearances from the bench actually belonged to a Troon Reserves palyer last season - over 20. These guys just want the chance to play football on a saturday. One thing to note is the amount of players that I've actually sent over to clubs over the past two seasons as they've wanted to play Saturdays.

My intention in the next season or so is to have a Flexi League side to recruit players - get them enjoying their football enough to join our Saturday side and then recruit again within the Flexi League to get some new players in. Not many other clubs offer that.

4 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

The issue I have is that the guys that play for the Trelawny FC side don't play football - some have never played before. That's the purpose of the Flexi League.

They've tried to join regular Saturday teams but have been frustrated by lack of game time, some can't even make the bench for these clubs. With the team I run, you turn up, you play. The team itself doesn't care if the player is good or not - if they commit to playing, they play. The results show that. Because of our ethos, some of these players have expressed they'd like to try and play Saturday football - they've also said they wouldn't want to play for a team other than the one that actually gave them a chance and had some belief in them over the last two seasons.

I have suggested joining an already established club but that notion was not received particularly well by the players. As someone who is spending most of next season away with work again, I can't devote the time to the club so this is up to those that have approached me and asked to join a side. 

We all know teams that have a number of players that turn up every game and are put on the bench each week - I remember the highest number of appearances from the bench actually belonged to a Troon Reserves palyer last season - over 20. These guys just want the chance to play football on a saturday. One thing to note is the amount of players that I've actually sent over to clubs over the past two seasons as they've wanted to play Saturdays.

My intention in the next season or so is to have a Flexi League side to recruit players - get them enjoying their football enough to join our Saturday side and then recruit again within the Flexi League to get some new players in. Not many other clubs offer that.

Trelawny League stats probably not the best way to make your point unless they record how many minutes players actually play (as I understand it they only record starts and don’t take account of rolling subs, which some sides do actually utilise) or the reasons why a player might have begun some games and started others on the bench. And I’m talking individual player circumstances as well as changes in management etc.

Anyway, good luck to you. I’m sure there’s a decent market for what you’re offering - not my personal cup of tea but I’m a bit old school when it comes to saturdays.

10 minutes ago, Mr M said:

Trelawny League stats probably not the best way to make your point unless they record how many minutes players actually play (as I understand it they only record starts and don’t take account of rolling subs, which some sides do actually utilise) or the reasons why a player might have begun some games and started others on the bench. And I’m talking individual player circumstances as well as changes in management etc.

Anyway, good luck to you. I’m sure there’s a decent market for what you’re offering - not my personal cup of tea but I’m a bit old school when it comes to saturdays.

Unfortunately with the way times are changing, we are having to adapt - the old school way is no longer the way ahead for most :( We had 206 players register in the Flexi League in 18/19, 36 of which belonged to Trelawny FC. Hopefully through one way or another, I can get these guys back into the game :) thanks for your reply 

1 minute ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Unfortunately with the way times are changing, we are having to adapt - the old school way is no longer the way ahead for most :( We had 206 players register in the Flexi League in 18/19, 36 of which belonged to Trelawny FC. Hopefully through one way or another, I can get these guys back into the game :) thanks for your reply 

Totally agree some degree of evolution is required to keep the game going at this level on a scale we are accustomed to. But as someone who has been involved in running a club with its own facilities over many years, old fashioned virtues will always be important to me. In the bad times these values keep clubs going and provide a foundation to build up from - including increasing participation in other areas including youth, disability, walking etc.

I guess if you are looking at renting somewhere (which you are) so have few commitments, and if you have few people to let down, you can afford to have a looser approach.

In a nutshell Dave; we both want mobile phones it’s just that you’d prefer pay-as-you-go or 30 day rolling contracts at the moment whilst I have a standing order setup to auto renew a 24 month contract for the rest of my life 😂

a time ago I did a costing to run a 3G, this is a similar costing to run a grass pitch to a reasonable standard. Purchasing seed,fertiliser,deisel and petrol, then costing for maintenance of said equipment and gas and electric for showers over 70 games per season is £2200 at £62.67 per game. Then if you start adding in labour to perform these tasks including cleaning of showers and c/rooms that adds another £95 per game. That gives a costing of £157.62 per game. Assuming a league of 14 and throw in a couple of cup games 16 x 157.62  gives you £2521.92 per season.So £800-£1000 to hire a pitch looks fairly reasonable.I know these figures are slightly off because most clubs are run by volunteers so labour charges are non existent, however it does give some idea that you don't get anything for nothing these days and if you want to play sport with reasonable facilities,it costs.Please don't run away with the idea that money can be made back in the bar, every time we hire out a pitch we take less than £100 in the bar which only gives a net profit of £17 . Hope this casts some light on your problem Dave

15 minutes ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

a time ago I did a costing to run a 3G, this is a similar costing to run a grass pitch to a reasonable standard. Purchasing seed,fertiliser,deisel and petrol, then costing for maintenance of said equipment and gas and electric for showers over 70 games per season is £2200 at £62.67 per game. Then if you start adding in labour to perform these tasks including cleaning of showers and c/rooms that adds another £95 per game. That gives a costing of £157.62 per game. Assuming a league of 14 and throw in a couple of cup games 16 x 157.62  gives you £2521.92 per season.So £800-£1000 to hire a pitch looks fairly reasonable.I know these figures are slightly off because most clubs are run by volunteers so labour charges are non existent, however it does give some idea that you don't get anything for nothing these days and if you want to play sport with reasonable facilities,it costs.Please don't run away with the idea that money can be made back in the bar, every time we hire out a pitch we take less than £100 in the bar which only gives a net profit of £17 . Hope this casts some light on your problem Dave

Plus affiliations, insurance, playing kit/equipment (balls etc) costs, kit washing costs etc etc. If Trelawny FC want to play on Saturdays whilst continuing to not charge players they are going to need some very generous sponsors.

2 hours ago, Sijames said:

Why do clubs have to pay to enter cups? and league affiliations? surly they should come part and parcel?

The affiliation fees help to fund the running costs of the Leagues. CCFA affiliation fees help to fund the governing body of football in the County. I do have a problem with the compulsory fees to enter County Cups - they should be set at a level which only covers the cost of running them - not to make a profit. However, the County couldn't afford to lose that income, so the affiliation fees would go up to cover the loss!

• 1 month later...

Don’t forget about the fines for bookings and possibly not being able to raise a team every now and then?

personally I think it’s a great idea and should be supported a bit more. Lads just want to play football and, as Dave mentioned, can’t get a game elsewhere for various reasons, so why not try this?

if they are doing it for the fun and involvement on a Saturday then good luck to them and let’s not forget about the ‘easy’ 6 points the other teams will love taking?