Cornwall Football Forum

New Look Combo League

I'm not sure why this the original thread was put up and then locked straight away, it's obviously going to be a talking point. 

The LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League is pleased to announce the following teams will be members of the League for the forthcoming 2019-20 season

Pendeen Rovers

Carharrack

RNAS Culdrose

Porthleven Reserves

Lizard Argyle

Penwith Exiles

Penryn Athletic Reserves

Helston Athletic Thirds

St Day Reserves

St Agnes Reserves

Wendron United Thirds

Perranporth Reserves

Hayle Reserves

Ruan Minor

Gerrans and St Mawes United have applied to join from the Duchy League and their membership will decided and voted on at the AGM, on 13th June.

The LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League thanks everyone for their patience at this time of important changes being implemented by the FA in Devon and Cornwall.

For sixty years the Cornwall Combination League has provided a competitive league allowing clubs to climb the promotion ladder. The League is proud that several former members are now competing in the highest level of Cornish football. With that in mind the League wishes good luck to it's former sides who have taken the step up to the St Piran League and also welcomes it's newest members.

I put the thread up and then locked it as it was an announcement for public/press/administrator viewing. Comments could be made on other threads that could be started like this one.

On a personal level I am getting fed up with all the negative comments as soon as something is posted on the forum. At times it seems as if the only people who could be bothered to post are mainly detractors.

By the way as the League is not up to 16 teams yet there is a space for another side to make up the 16 (if Gerrans and St Mawes are elected). 

Personal opinion.. 

They've taken some of the League's strongest sides which can only be a good thing for the Combination League; making it more competitive for all involved. With the exception of Mawnan (who I'd personally like to see in the Combination League after a number of very successful seasons in the top few positions of the Trelawny Prem), it leaves a well balanced Trelawny Premier Division.

Obviously, the issue we have now as a league (Trelawny) is those 9 clubs we've had taken from us have to be replaced by teams from lower divisions. That's had an impact for us.

The Trelawny League's Fixtures Secretary has said on this forum and Facebook that he'd like to see divisions of 12. Whilst I get his thinking - less games each week (which will counteract the projected lack of referees and reduce amount of evening games to pretty much 0), I personally feel a Division should have at least 14 teams in. 

Looking at divisions of 12, if we get 4 new teams in the league (we've received applications for two I believe), we could achieve five Divisions of 12. However, as it stands, there's currently 8. If that number doesn't increase to 12 minimum, we will undoubtedly lose Division 4, which in turn would increase the number in the divisions above to 14+. 

Personally (and I have to keep making that point that this is a personal opinion), I think that the collateral damage isn't as bad as we all once feared, but we have lost a large number of teams from our league which is going to have a massive impact on our other member teams and clubs.

I've put a list of the potential new-look of the Trelawny League with twelve teams per division, however I must now wait until we have a definitive list of applicants to the league before I can draft up something which "will look more like it". 

Just now, cornishteddyboy said:

I put the thread up and then locked it as it was an announcement for public/press/administrator viewing. Comments could be made on other threads that could be started like this one.

On a personal level I am getting fed up with all the negative comments as soon as something is posted on the forum. At times it seems as if the only people who could be bothered to post are mainly detractors.

By the way as the League is not up to 16 teams yet there is a space for another side to make up the 16 (if Gerrans and St Mawes are elected). 

You're going to get negative comments with anything you post, Paul. It's much easier to rant than it is to praise, surely you know that by now. It comes just all too naturally for some people

Just don't take any more of our teams please 🤣.

What is good Dave it is a spread of teams from a couple of Divisions and not all the Premier Division sides. I think that is better for both leagues. 

Also quite a few are Reserve sides of ex-Combo sides so the change from one league to the other should be pretty seamless and less disruptive to the league/clubs/players.

The only problem I see will be a lack of promotion between the CCL/ECPL and the St Piran as all 3 league will be full of reserve/third teams of sides in the new SWPL and with only one promotion from the SWPL each season, the St Piran could become a bottleneck.

Unfortunately, all social media platforms give haters and detractors a voice to spew vitriol.  However, it's also a great way to share facts and information. I suppose we have to take the good with the bad.

I'd like to express my personal thanks to the Trelawny League Officials for their positive attitude and acceptance of the fact that the Combination League would "fight" to ensure its' survival in the wake of the restructure of Steps 6 & 7.

34 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Unfortunately, all social media platforms give haters and detractors a voice to spew vitriol.  However, it's also a great way to share facts and information. I suppose we have to take the good with the bad.

I'd like to express my personal thanks to the Trelawny League Officials for their positive attitude and acceptance of the fact that the Combination League would "fight" to ensure its' survival in the wake of the restructure of Steps 6 & 7.

I think we all wanted the Combination League to survive and remain John. Obviously for me, my concern was the impact it would have on our league structure and clubs - losing Division 4, pushing teams up Into divisions which are stronger than their current ability etc. 

From my point of view, I see the stats based on the teams and players we are losing each season and it is a massive cause for concern. Combo will never need to deal with that issue whilst there are league's and divisions below it. 

I think this has been a much needed wake up call for the Combination League. We see and hear people's thoughts and opinions all the time on how the combo league is run and administrated, whilst I know very little about how the combo league is run, I'm of the opinion that after recent events, the league needs to listen to its member clubs concerns because league administration plays a huge part in the happiness and morale of club volunteers and players etc. There are obviously problems - fines and charges to name but one which has been done to death across a variety of platforms. This could be the opportunity for the Combination League to re-pay the faith of the club's by becoming a league for the club's, much like how I've tried to change things at Trelawny level. Empathy and understanding goes a long way.

I for one applaud the members of the Combination League for not throwing in the towel which often looked like the easiest option and for attracting enough teams to remain an active and competitive league

Amidst all the doom and gloom, may I just say well down to the Combo League for cracking on and getting things sorted fairly quickly.

It was always going to be a difficult time with potentially so many teams leaving for the St Piran Football League and many not liking the idea of change.

We just all of us, in whatever league you end up, need to take up the challenge and make it succeed.

I was thinking the same about Newquay. I agree with Dave Deacon I believe the Combination League have done a good job in such a short time. It will be interesting to see how the Trelawny clubs progress as there has been much discussion on the standard of both leagues. One thing is for certain next season in Cornwall will be very different and hopefully exciting as many clubs start a new adventure, cannot wait for the season to begin.

With the ECPL seemingly being over subscribed,wouldn't it make sense,geographically at least, to take Gerrans/St.Mawes and Veryan. to give both Leagues

a better chance of having 16 teams each ?

Also having both Newquay and Godolphin in the ECPL would make sense (local derbies) and fairly close to Roche,St.Stephen,Padstow etc.

Edited by Adlestrop
omission

1. Fair point,Dave:although my thoughts behind this is that Gerrans have already applied for entry to the Combo.Perhaps it would make sense for Combo/ECP to get together and work out a mutually agreeable solution.Probably too late now,but mergers would have solved many,many problems.

Plymstock to St Mawes only 40 miles - by boat !! 😃

To be serious though, Veryan & St Mawes are like Torpoint & Millbrook, always going to be a long trip for many teams whatever league they are in. Very expensive for these clubs with long trips every couple of weeks.

Very best wishes to Veryan & St Mawes wherever they end up.

3 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

Plymstock to St Mawes only 40 miles - by boat !! 😃

To be serious though, Veryan & St Mawes are like Torpoint & Millbrook, always going to be a long trip for many teams whatever league they are in. Very expensive for these clubs with long trips every couple of weeks.

Very best wishes to Veryan & St Mawes wherever they end up.

Same problem for all those teams...don't miss the ferry!