Cornwall Football Forum

County Players

I was interested to read of Truro's interest in Porthleven's Kevin Lawrence. Interested but not surprised. How many players over the years have been called up into the County side whilst playing for so-called 'smaller' or less successful teams only to move to one of the bigger clubs soon after - normally with a certain manager in charge also involved in the County set up? Or similarly transferring to the 'bigger' club and soon after being selected for the County? Coincidence maybe!

Out of interest, Kevin thoroughly deserves to be linked with bigger clubs as he is a quality player but I'm sure Truro's interest would be for their Combo team.

Quote: “But they will be in the same league as Port first team next year!!!”

Exactly….so why move before the end of the season ? he may as well stay put in the SWPL Div 1 with his present side until then.

Kev is part of a cracking attacking line-up down at Porthleven at the moment, with Andy Westgarth (though currently injured I believe) banging in plenty this season, Kevin and James Miller very effective cutting-in from out wide on either flank, and now they’ve finally moved Mike Davies in off the left-hand touchline for a bit he’s managed to bag 8 goals in the last 3 league games!

Have watched them a few times recently, very entertaining.

But they will be in the same league as Port first team next year!!!

Y WILL PORT BE IN SAME LEAGUE NEXT SEASON THEN. IFTHEY WIN THIS ONE THEY WILL SURELY WANT TO GO UP WON'T THEY??????????

The Cornwall County squad seems to be the same names year in year out. I'm very suprised to have not seen any Saltash Utd players in the squad. Had they had been playing for "bigger paying" clubs then i'm sure you would have seen a few of them in. Is the squad picked on reputation or form???????

Guest Sullivan

I think that it would be good to hold open trials for any cornish based player wanting to try out for the Cornwall squad. Pretty sure most of the present players would be in there but I bet there would be four or five surprise players.

Hi Sully , glad to see you are back to fitness at last.

Back to WINNO's point...i had heard a "rumour" that once again Porthleven would decline promotion if it were available.

I really hope this isn't true as i think with the current squad they would hold there own in the SWPL Prem.

Anyone from Port have any info??

So Stig are you saying that Ray is picking a squad to keep all the clubs happy, instead of picking what he feels is the best squad of players.

Won't make any difference as the last game was and the next one is scheduled for midweek. This won't affect the league programme whatsoever.

The current selected squad is the one felt to be the best by the County manager. Just happens to be that most of them appear to be at Falmouth and Bodmin!

Hi Stig, I don't think it's a question of the SWPL "not recognising" county fixtures but there is no rule which would permit a postponement of a league game because players are on County duties. As you will be aware, SWPL rules are dictated by the F.A.'s "Standardised Rules" - which are very specific about what can or cannot be included; I'm not sure they would sanction such a rule if it were proposed!

But they will be in the same league as Port first team next year!!!

Y WILL PORT BE IN SAME LEAGUE NEXT SEASON THEN. IFTHEY WIN THIS ONE THEY WILL SURELY WANT TO GO UP WON'T THEY??????????

You would have thought so wouldn`t you?

Hi Sully , glad to see you are back to fitness at last.

Back to WINNO's point...i had heard a "rumour" that once again Porthleven would decline promotion if it were available.

I really hope this isn't true as i think with the current squad they would hold there own in the SWPL Prem.

Anyone from Port have any info??

Anyone from port having any info? hahaha chance would be a fine thing, no one knows anything down there its like Area 51.