Cornwall Football Forum

Only 5 teams left in Combo !

With the teams now confirmed and announced this afternoon for the St Piran League , it leaves the Combo League with 5 teams .

With no detriment meant to those 5 who finished between 12 th and 19th last season , it’s hardly a strong 5 is it ?

I know that certain members of the Committee are staunchly against joining up with the Trelawny League but maybe now is the perfect time to bite the bullet and sit around a table and make that sensible decision rather than take another 11 clubs from various Divisions .

Combo  trelawney prem , call it combo div 1 and2  trelawney div 1and 2   change to 16 team leagues  still feeder  leagues call it trelawney  combo league , merge of both committees  under one banner , players could only sign for one team so should stop so called ringers being brought  in  , will take a couple of years to level out  but hopefully  less leagues more players to go round 

10 hours ago, Cornish Dave said:

The new league is a shambles. Cornwall FA are clueless 

It’s not the CCFA! Can’t blame them at all. 

And we wouldn’t be in a situation which is a ‘shambles’ had the clubs firstly not expressed interest - over 26 of them. Then a further 20+ actually paid the application fee before teams started withdrawing. 

Had the clubs not initially registered or even gone as far as applying then this would’ve been sorted and organising months ago. 

I feel for all League Committees involved in the process for firstly getting the league running, work co-operatively and having to adjust plans at short notice because they’ve been let down themselves. 

What are the benefits of being in the combination league over Trelawny Prem?

If it survives will it be a step 6 or 7 league? What step is Trelawny Prem? How will this effect the officials ie do they have to be a certain level. 

Looking at the teams left in the combination league Porthleven aside, the pitches and facilities leave a lot to be desired!

seems the logical answer to everyone is the combination league is dissolved and teams get spread into the Trelawny Prem and East leagues? Then the St Piran league is the next ‘step up’ for them all to take should they want to?

3 hours ago, Sijames said:

If it survives will it be a step 6 or 7 league? What step is Trelawny Prem? How will this effect the officials ie do they have to be a certain level. 

Neither Si, St Piran is at Step 7 and that is the lowest level of the NLS.  It will remain a recreational league as it has been for a number of years.  The bit about officials will be for the league to discuss with the powers that be.  The number of referees at the various qualifications levels will be an important factor in the decision process.

4 hours ago, skinner said:

Penryn are still in combination league

Penryn Reserves will be in the Combo League next season as they have officially applied for promotion from Trelawny Prem; as have Penwith Exiles who also applied for automatic promotion. Helston 3rds have also applied but are not automatic promotion candidates. Room for up to 7 more teams by my reconning!

18 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Penryn Reserves will be in the Combo League next season as they have officially applied for promotion from Trelawny Prem; as have Penwith Exiles who also applied for automatic promotion. Helston 3rds have also applied but are not automatic promotion candidates. Room for up to 7 more teams by my reconning!

With support from our neighbours Mousehole, could Penzance Reserves apply!

The above comment was written with tongue in cheek!

5 minutes ago, PzFan said:

With support from our neighbours Mousehole, could Penzance Reserves apply!

The above comment was written with tongue in cheek!

Yes!

These are vacancies now in the Combination League. The promotion teams are in automatically meaning 7 places filled. That means there are 9 vacancies who could be filled by any team that applies from the Trelawney, ECPL or even Duchy. Obviously it depends on some basic ground grading plus I should think on which Divisions in the Trelawny the sides are in.

6 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Yes!

These are vacancies now in the Combination League. The promotion teams are in automatically meaning 7 places filled. That means there are 9 vacancies who could be filled by any team that applies from the Trelawney, ECPL or even Duchy. Obviously it depends on some basic ground grading plus I should think on which Divisions in the Trelawny the sides are in.

4 hours ago, John Mead said:

I don't think anyone's saying that!

So it would only be trelawny premier teams aloud to apply for combo to fill the gaps. Or is it the same with the Pirans league where the higher teams would go up 1st before any other division

The Combo needs to be a bit more proactive here in my opinion if they want their league to continue! Has the committee sent out letters or contacted the ‘eligible’ clubs in the Trelawny Premier to invite them to apply or are they doing a Kevin Costner ‘Field of Dreams’ position here of “if they build it they will come”

If the teams from the Trelawny Premier went into Combo to fill the 9 spots CTB mentioned it would leave only the 3 bottom sides from TP - this saves the Combo however if the league committee is waiting for a mass amount of clubs to apply they may be disappointed as it looks as though a lot of clubs are waiting to see how it all pans out as next seasons promotion may be straight from Trelawny to st Piran the way it’s going

11 hours ago, Pitty said:

If the teams from the Trelawny Premier went into Combo to fill the 9 spots CTB mentioned it would leave only the 3 bottom sides from TP - this saves the Combo however if the league committee is waiting for a mass amount of clubs to apply they may be disappointed as it looks as though a lot of clubs are waiting to see how it all pans out as next seasons promotion may be straight from Trelawny to st Piran the way it’s going

If they do combine then Trelawny Prem would indeed become the feeder to St Piran (West).

1 hour ago, Steve Carpenter said:

If they do combine then Trelawny Prem would indeed become the feeder to St Piran (West).

That might be the only choice left for the Combo unless they get sufficient numbers to make a viable league for next season; my guess would be a minimum of 14 teams!

I remember when I began watching St Just in 1969 that there were only 14 teams in the league. To create sufficient fixtures, the league cup before semi finals was played on a three or four-team home and away roundrobin basis, adding between four and eight games . Even with the senior cup added, a team might play as few as 31 competitive fixtures. I wish the stabdard number if teams in these replacement leagues was eighteen rather than sixteen. All it takes us for a couple if clubs to do a West Cornwall or a Carharrack and the season could be over by February.