Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League Result - Tuesday 21st May 2019

Illogan 3, St Day 1.

Don't know the identity of the scorers but it went 1 - 0 on 9 minutes after St Day missed a golden chance in the very 1st minute; 2 - 0 on 23, a breakaway after a spell of St Day pressure, St Day No 5 booked on 39, 2 - 1 on 45, header from a left-side corner, last action of the 1st half; St Day No 5 booked again so sent off on 51, Lots of St Day pressure early in the 2nd half but Illogan held out. Further bookings on 58 (St Day no 3), 67 (Illogan no 9), 70 (Illogan no 7), 77 (Illogan no 11), then 3 - 1 (89) with the last kick of the game a shot from St Day that came back off the post!

Decent attendance for this last Combo of the season, a blood-and-thunder derby. St Day were missing "Twinkletoes" at full back, some injury or other, but they missed his bite and passion for the team. Ref was okay for this potentially difficult game. Lots of faces there - nice to see Andrew Walters on the line, Clive Roberts in the crowd, had a good chat with Lester Thomas who is doing okay and Dave Searle always good for a sensible chat, both outstanding Club men. The mum of the Oliver twins, one playing for each side, looked cool in her half-Illogan, half St Day footy shirt: what a lovely mum! Managed to catch Dave Deacon - been hoping to catch him to give him a tenner towards running this site - I don't hold with this new-fangled on-line banking malarky: don't want Whoarewe hacking into my account! Don't forget to pay it into the website account, Dave: and all contributions are welcome to keep the site going as it is, by the way.

Sensible suggestion of the season overheard in conversation: for this season's Combo Golden Boot, any goals scored against Carharrack ought to be discounted so that everyone is judged on a level playing field. Now THERE'S common sense.

Now we have to fill the time before next season - though there's the Women's World Cup to look forward to: all those sporty women some of whom are not only gorgeous but also know the offside rule! What more could you want!

Well, that's it - have a good break, everyone.

9 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

Sensible suggestion of the season overheard in conversation: for this season's Combo Golden Boot, any goals scored against Carharrack ought to be discounted so that everyone is judged on a level playing field. Now THERE'S common sense.

Err, no.

Just because someone thinks that taking away those goals will perhaps alter the top of the chart.

Carharrack only missed 5 games this season but also Porthleven missed 2, and Pendeen one. Do you remove the goals scored against those other two sides to make it fair all round? Starting to sound silly.

All goals are scored in good faith so should be counted.

Common sense is all goals should be counted even, as I have done on my website, those against West Cornwall. All were scored by the players in competitive league and cup games. They should not be penalised because side do not fulfil fixtures or fold.

Next we will have someone saying because players played different amounts of games we ought to work it out on strike rate with say the player having to play a minimum number of games!

10 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Tom it’s adrian not andrew

I knew that! Sorry - Senior moment whist rapidly trying to write the piece before "Years and years" started. And now I know who Postman Pat is!

And, CTB: fair enough, though as long as it doesn't put anyone's nose out of joint.