Cornwall Football Forum

2 hours ago, ECPL said:

QUESTION

Can anyone advise promotion from the new step 7.  Am I right in saying that reserve teams cannot gain promotion to step 6 or above if their first team is already at that level.  

If I understand the question correctly, you are right. 

3 hours ago, ECPL said:

QUESTION

Can anyone advise promotion from the new step 7.  Am I right in saying that reserve teams cannot gain promotion to step 6 or above if their first team is already at that level.  

John, as you would expect, is absolutely correct but that would apply in any league if a first team is in the division immediately above - if that's what you mean?  Step 7 is unique in the NLS in that a reserve side can sit at the Step immediately below their first team.  Under normal circumstances there has to be a 2 Step difference and I believe reserve sides are restricted as to how far they can go up the ladder.  Step 5 is rattling around my brain as that limit but I wouldn't quote that authoritatively and I would also add the caveat 'this season' as I understand that the NLS Rules are being re-written so it may all change imminently.

1 hour ago, baldy said:

There is no Step difference for reserve sides. It is the league rules that apply. This has been a myth for many years, ask Phil H.

Thanks Baldy.  That's another myth busted!  Educations a wonderful thing; I've just spent the last half hour trying to find the definitive answer with little success. Been a long day!

19 hours ago, baldy said:

There is no Step difference for reserve sides. It is the league rules that apply. This has been a myth for many years, ask Phil H.

Sorry, you are wrong.

Regulation 7.2 of the National League System rules states:

"Reserve teams, including a team from a club or Club which is not considered by the LC to
be sufficiently separate from another club or Club, will not be permitted to compete above
Step 6 in the NLS. There must be a minimum of two Steps between a first and reserve team.
This does not apply at Steps 6 & 7. No two teams from the same Club can play at the same
Step. Reserve teams currently at Step 5 can remain unless relegated, once relegated they
will not be permitted to be promoted back to Step 5."

Look at it a different way.. would you want your club's reserve side playing in the same or higher league than your first team? Doesn't make sense. I just don't see HOW it could happen anyway regardless of the rules. 

Let's say your reserve side is in contention for promotion to the same league as your first side.... you'd dilute the playing staff in to one good team and one emerging team. That would naturally even the balance to where it should be

7 hours ago, GKBH said:

Off topic but will there be rolling subs and sin bins in the St Piran league??? 

Yes they will.  5 substitutes will be allowed as per Rule 20f.

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is rolling subs a new Step 7 requirement? 

As John says Dave they are not a requirement at Step 7 but we agreed to disagree with our Devon colleagues on this one and include the optional SCOR rule.  Apparently none of the leagues in Devon have ever used repeat subs.

20 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Yes they will.  5 substitutes will be allowed as per Rule 20f.

As John says Dave they are not a requirement at Step 7 but we agreed to disagree with our Devon colleagues on this one and include the optional SCOR rule.  Apparently none of the leagues in Devon have ever used repeat subs.

I watched a North Devon League game this season and was amazed that rolling subs was not accepted at the AGM. The vote fell well short.

It's quite funny watching the older 30+ players coming off then being asked to go on again when they have seized up.

I am not a fan. I think it would work better with 3 subs. 5 subs against teams who may only be able to raise 12 or 13 in any given week becomes a very difficult task. 

We played with one sub (who ran the line!)

Worked fine the 27 years I played football. 

With 5 subs you now have 40% of available footballers sitting on the bench, no wonder there are not enough players around anymore! 

But...I do like the new system though, although 19 changes will force a change in the rules no doubt. 

4 hours ago, B Manning said:

Thanks for asking, yes very well Rappo and yes it certainly did interrupt the flow of the game. Karaoke you well know as a referee you are supposed to keep a note of all subs used so at the end of the game my notebook had the numbers used.

Big note book !

13 hours ago, B Manning said:

Karaoke, so you do not keep a record of subs in your notebook.

Thank for the lesson Mr Manning, I employ a full time admin assistant who runs around the field with me taking all subs, cautions, ko's, time stoppages, dismissals which just leaves me to referee, you should try it.     

23 hours ago, B Manning said:

Karaoke, so you do not keep a record of subs in your notebook.

Re rolling subs - providing, as a ref, you’re on top of only  having max 11 players from a side on the pitch, what is the need for keeping a record of each individual rolling substitution?

Dave, it’s because that is what you are supposed to do, in theory the ref should have a note of the subs and also the player who has been substituted, personally I just make a note of the relevant shirt numbers , of course if you have neutral assistant you delegate on of them to keep the shirt number noted.

35 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Re rolling subs - providing, as a ref, you’re on top of only  having max 11 players from a side on the pitch, what is the need for keeping a record of each individual rolling substitution?

It is more important in Cup games to ensure you know who is on the field of play just in case you need to take kicks from the penalty mark at end of game.

38 minutes ago, Mick Throbsaw said:

Brilliant reading here, 2 officials having an argument about who has reffed for longer. Very childish. Makes you both look daft too.  For what its worth, my dad probably has a bigger TV than yours. :thumbsup:

Ha Ha harmless banter with no offence meant from either person but perhaps you should read things properly, who mentioned about refereeing longer ?