Cornwall Football Forum

DUCHY LEAGUE FINALS - SUNDAY 19 MAY 2019

SUNDAY 19 MAY 2019

SHOE BOY DUCHY LEAGUE CUP FINAL (at St Dennis)
Nanpean Rovers 2-2 Polperro Reserves

(aet - Nanpean win 4-3 on pens)

KMD DEVELOPMENTS KNOCKOUT CUP FINAL (at St Dennis)
St Mawgan 2-0 Foxhole Stars    

As part of the build up for the second match on Sunday, the latest CS podcast features St Mawgan’s manager Ash Bicknall

Sunday 19th May

Foxhole 0 St Mawgan 2 (Allen 69, Jayne 75) KMD final at St Dennis

Depleted Foxhole were unable to retain the KMD cup but can nevertheless be proud of their success in winning the league and unluckily losing the Junior Cup final. Today the absence of the crocked Reed-Bennett and the unavailable Morgan was keenly felt, but the biggest loss was top-scorer Griffin, serving the final match of a three game suspension after his ludicrously harsh dismissal in the semi-final. Reed-Bennett and Griffin have contributed nearly 60 goals between them this season, and ultimately the Foxes did not possess sufficient fire-power in reserve (but, then again, which team would?)

St Mawgan were unable to capitalise on a stiff breeze in the first half, only threatening once when Allen released Bicknell down the right, but Bullen fielded the shot well. Soon after, Brown's trickery on the left created a chance for Bould, but his thunderous left-footed drive struck the bar. The Foxhole faithful sensed it was perhaps not going to be their day when this was immediately followed by Bould firing a penalty too high, after the striker had been upended when clean through by Cole, who somehow escaped a booking, much less a red card.

Hampered by further injuries to both Papioannou and Brown, Foxhole struggled to break down the solid and heavily populated rearguard. However their commitment can not be doubted, as they battled manfully for every loose ball, and played some tidy football while defending well against lively attackers until Allen was allowed to poke home from close range. Whetter almost levelled moments later, but his near post header from Jowan Dingle's inswinging corner flashed agonisingly wide. Jayne then doubled the lead when his cross found the net fortuitously, his side seeing out time fairly comfortably as the threadbare Foxes' squad ran out of options.

Well played the league champions for a great effort today and a thrilling season. Congratulations to St Mawgan and thanks to the officials, the Duchy League committee and St Dennis AFC.

Foxhole (4-3-3): Matt Bullen; Nathan Papaioannou, Bradley Allen, Lee Whetter, Ryan Wilkins; Levi Kerrigan, Rory Barnacle, Nathan Allen; Benno Bould, Chris Brown, Aidan Dingle. Subs: Martin Gilbert, Jowan Dingle.

St Mawgan: Craig Allen, Alex Bicknell, Jordan Cole, Stuart Harris, Aaron Hawken, Thomas Jayne, Bonar Maull, 
Oliver Morrison, James Olsen, Brett Prentice, Chris Revill. Subs: David Bertie, Ashley Bicknell, Alex Coles, Joe Gwilliams.

Officials: Alan Shaw, Sam Doble, Josh Morford.

Well done St Mawgan, a pretty cagy first half opened up after the break and two goals, Tom Jayne making one and scoring the other (a cross-cum-shot that sailed over the keeper's flailing arms)

Foxhole blew the chance to take a first half lead when they were gifted a penalty for a dive, but the striker Bould sent it higher and wider than Chris Waddle in the 1990 World Cup. Bould added to his miserable afternoon late on when he was sent off for two yellows in quick succession.

Foxhole have been deserving champions of the Duchy League this season, but were second best today so the silverware gets shared around a little.

A great day of Duchy League football to round off the season. Perfect weather, a fancy colour programme (with a few unfortunate errors -will do better next year) and great hospitality from St Dennis as always enjoyed by over 350 spectators. The arrangements were slightly upset by the Nanpean v Polperro game going to penalties with Nanpean winning that particular lottery. Wonderful to see the St Mawgan youth in their kits walk out with the team for the knock out final. Carol Cudlipp and family were, as always, in attendance to present the John Cudlipp Memorial Trophy to St Mawgan. 

Long day, me and the rest of the old farts are all knackered now.

Oh and that cheeky chappy slipped us another Euro on the gate.

Sincere thanks to all the match officials, sponsors Will Kitto and Gary Cornish and all the nice people that make this worthwhile - they are still in the majority.

Shoe Boy League Cup Final -  Polperro 2 - 2 Nanpean aet (Nanpean won on penalties)

Two very different teams both with superb records this season. The experienced, big, strong Nanpean side totally outweighed Polperro's youngsters but it made for an interesting contest.

Being totally neutral (?) i thought Polperro had the better of the play once they got back into the game having been 2 nil down. Extra time was a tired affair and neither side could complain about the draw at the end of playing time. 

Does anyone like penalties ? precious few i reckon but something has to decide a final (i would return to golden goal in a flash). All the penalties were taken pretty well, Polperro's 'keeper got his hand to two but Nanpean's actually kept two out - that's what mattered.

Congratulations all at Nanpean, great first season. It was a pleasure to have both clubs at the finals.

32 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

Shoe Boy League Cup Final -  Polperro 2 - 2 Nanpean aet (Nanpean won on penalties)

Two very different teams both with superb records this season. The experienced, big, strong Nanpean side totally outweighed Polperro's youngsters but it made for an interesting contest.

Being totally neutral (?) i thought Polperro had the better of the play once they got back into the game having been 2 nil down. Extra time was a tired affair and neither side could complain about the draw at the end of playing time. 

Does anyone like penalties ? precious few i reckon but something has to decide a final (i would return to golden goal in a flash). All the penalties were taken pretty well, Polperro's 'keeper got his hand to two but Nanpean's actually kept two out - that's what mattered.

Congratulations all at Nanpean, great first season. It was a pleasure to have both clubs at the finals.

Not the golden goal please! Penalties for me.

41 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

For the record Paul - can you clarify who can enter each competition please?

The Knock Out Cup is for the top placed 32 teams from the previous season. The League Cup is for the remainder. We no longer have a reserve teams' cup (ie for clubs with two teams in the Duchy Lge) but all teams are in the draw so it is possible for first & reserve teams to be drawn against each other - but it hasn't happened yet.

25 minutes ago, Whistle Blower said:

Not the golden goal please! Penalties for me.

Those 'suits' we hear so much about wont allow it anyway.  I do concede that there is at least an element of football ability in the mix with a shoot out.

With a penalty shoot out there is an element of skill. It's a lottery and it gives the underdog more of a chance.

There was talk years ago with the number of bookings etc deciding a game. That puts too much influence on the referee deciding things. Penalties can be cruel but I can't think of a better way. Thankfully the days of endless replays are long gone.

There was a trial years ago of a 15 second penalty where you dribble the ball from the half way line and try and score that way. Or was I dreaming?

1 minute ago, Whistle Blower said:

With a penalty shoot out there is an element of skill. It's a lottery and it gives the underdog more of a chance.

There was talk years ago with the number of bookings etc deciding a game. That puts too much influence on the referee deciding things. Penalties can be cruel but I can't think of a better way. Thankfully the days of endless replays are long gone.

There was a trial years ago of a 15 second penalty where you dribble the ball from the half way line and try and score that way. Or was I dreaming?

not a dream but definitely a nightmare !!

Well here we’re at the end of another wonderful season in the duchy premier. I’d first like to congratulate every team in the division and also duchy for their efforts throughout the season. I’d also like to say congratulations to Nanpean on their double and congratulations to Polperro on their fantastic season - hard luck in the final! 

The mouthwatering tie of the day was a familiar story.. St Mawgan v foxhole. Not only was this a repeat of last years fixture but it seemed to be the two teams everyone was talking about throughout the whole season. 

After a delayed start, because of the first final, St Mawgan and foxhole were now set for battle at 5:30pm. St Mawgan stole the show early on, including their youth set up as mascots for the day - a fine touch by a fine club. Now it was about what the men could deliver and if it was anything like the season then this was set for a cracking game. 

The game started with a very cagey atmosphere and it was Foxhole who led the initial charge, with a very high tempo and a clear plan to close St Mawgan down quickly. Foxhole had a chance to open the scoring with Bould struck a thunderous strike into the cross bar - luckily for the opposition it bounced to safety. It was then another attack from the foxes, again it was Bould leading the charge but this time came controversy. Bould, right in-front of me may I add, took a heavy touch in the box and as he watched the ball go out for what would have been a goal kick he swung his leg in the way of on rushing ‘keeper (Cole) - cries of a penalty from foxhole were greeted with the refs whistle, initially I expected a yellow card for Bould for his theatrical fall but it was a penalty and a huge moment in the Match. Bould stepped up and went from hero to zero in a matter of seconds as his penalty landed back in foxhole - a big chance wasted for the league champions. 

After this it was a half of few chances until Bicknell (alex) was slid in by his teammate and hit his shot straight at Bullen who was rarely called upon in the opening 45 minutes. 

Both teams would be content with being in the game still at half time before the game kicked off and this is how it was coming out for the second half. 

Now it was St Mawgan who led the charge in search of a goal. St Mawgan were now enforcing their own game plan as they pinned foxhole back and battled the harder of the two teams. Eventually after a lot of hard work the moment came.. duchy leagues player of the season (in my and a lot of people’s opinion it appears) found himself on the end of a Jayne pull back and he made no mistake in sending the St Mawgan crowd to cloud nine with his 39th goal of a remarkable season. 

The game had now changed. Foxhole became desperate and stopped doing the things they did well for long periods of the game and suddenly could feel the final slipping away from them for the second time in two weeks. It only took 6 minutes after the first goal for St Mawgan to score again, this time it was Jayne himself who found himself in a crossing position on the left and whipped the Ball into the far corner to add to St Mawgan cup hopes. 

It was a strange last 10 minutes as foxhole never looked to really push on - maybe because of the well drilled Mawgan defence. With nine minutes to go Bould was in the action again, and again for reasons he’d rather not have been. He fouled the keeper and then talked himself into the sin bin, a disappointing final for a player that couldn’t quite fill the boots of their main man griffin. 

St Mawgan were victorious and could begin to celebrate their first ever major trophy for their first team in the history of the club. Well played to both sides and congratulations to St Mawgan who deserved at least one trophy this season. 

Well done to the league and the officials for doing a fantastic job all season.