Cornwall Football Forum

Ha, ha, They keep trying 

In September 2018 an announcement was made that the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League would only be operating two divisions at Step 6 of the National League Football Pyramid as part of a national re-structure by The FA.

In addition to this it was decided that in Cornwall and Devon there would be 3 divisions operating at Step 7, 1 in Cornwall and 2 in Devon. These would be run by newly created leagues and committees with the support of the respective County FA’s.

Initially teams were asked to submit expressions of interest by the 31st December 2018 if they wished to participate in these leagues. The initial response was positive with over 28 submissions to play in the Cornwall League.

These teams were then asked to confirm their intentions to participate in the league by submitting a formal application and a deposit of £100 by the 31st March 2019. Again the response was positive with 20 clubs submitting an application.

Unfortunately over the last few weeks several teams have made the decision to withdraw from the league, the reason that has been cited by every club for their withdrawal has been concerns over travelling due to teams in the league being drawn from all over the County, as far West as Mousehole and as far East as Saltash.

Having listened to these concerns Cornwall FA held a meeting with the St Piran League, East Cornwall Premier League and Cornwall Combination League to look at a way forward.

It is extremely important to note that the County is mandated by the FA to operate a Step 7 league. There must be an opportunity for clubs to progress into and through the National League System and play at the highest standard possible, along with the funding opportunities that this provides.

Additionally it would be highly unfair for any league at Step 7 to be heavily populated by teams from one area of the County, thus creating barriers in place for ambitious teams based in different areas.

New Proposals

Taking into consideration all of the above points The St Piran League will now operate with two divisions, with the intention being that each division will be comprised of no more than 16 teams There will be an East Cornwall Division and a West Cornwall Division.

Priority for entry will be given to those teams that participated at Step 7 during the 2018/19 season and to those teams who submitted a formal application along with deposit and who have not, at any time during the process submitted a notification of withdrawal.

Therefore the current membership of The St Piran League is as follows:

East Division

West Division

Bude Town

Ludgvan

AFC St Austell Reserves

Penryn Atheltic

Wadebridge Town Reserves

St Day

St Dennis Reserves

Helston Athletic Reserves

Falmouth Town Reserves

Perranwell

Hayle

Wendron United Reserves

St Agnes

Mousehole Reserves

We have space in the league for a further 12 teams based in East Cornwall and 6 teams based in West Cornwall, entry criteria are listed below in order of precedence:

East Division

a.         Those ECPL Premier Division clubs who have paid a deposit and subsequently withdrawn their      application but now wish to reconsider.

b.         Those ECPL Premier Division clubs who may now wish to apply to join the League

c.         Those ECPL Division One clubs who may now wish to apply.

d.         Those Duchy League Premier Division clubs who may now wish to apply.

West Division

a.         Those Combination League clubs who have withdrawn their application but now wish to reconsider.

b.         Those Combination League clubs who may now wish to apply to join the League.

c.         Those Trelawny League Premier Division clubs who may now wish to apply.

It should be noted that Step 7 Leagues are County based, applications from Devon based clubs competing in the ECPL or Duchy League will not be accepted

Additional

The ECPL and Cornwall Combination Leagues will continue to act as feeder leagues for the St Piran League and will be formed from teams who do not apply to The St Piran League and teams who make applications to join from The Duchy League and Trelawny League.

Once we know the teams for The St Piran League we will work closely with The ECPL, Cornwall Combination League, Duchy League and Trelawny League to establish their constitutions for the 2019/20 season.

Should anyone have any questions please contact Richard Pallot of Cornwall FA on 01208 262983 or email richard.pallot@cornwallfa.com

So originally 20 teams were needed, 14 were still in until this decision and now a further 18 are required to make 32!

Admire the desire to try this at such a late stage, interesting if clubs will bite?

There are going to be lots of club meetings this next week or so.

I think it’s good. Get everyone singing off the same sheet. It is a little re inventing the wheel but at least it is structured and The ECPL and combo as they were won’t be playing to a different set of rules. The ECPL I would imagine would run with 1 League now, and should probably just become the top league of the duchy and feed the new league. 

Run two cups-a east and a west and a combined. 

Less than a year ago people were talking about merging the Combo & Trelawny to have one football league covering the western half of the county. Likewise combining ECPL & Duchy leagues in the east to streamline fixturing, referee appointments, registration, admin etc. Seemed very logical to me.

Am I right in thinking the set up in the west will be

- St Pirans West

- Combo

- Trelawny

covering the same area run by three seperate committees?

And east will it be

- St Pirans East

- ECPL

- Duchy

again covering the same area run by three seperate committees?

If so this is bureaucracy gone mad!

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

You're right.

Yes it would be far easier to bring everyone together, but where there's history, it's not always easy.

28 minutes ago, John Mead said:

History doesn't disappear - it lasts forever!

We should never forget our history and traditions.  Both should be cherished and used to inform our decision making as we evolve and progress but what they should never do is hinder that evolution and progression.  There are some harsh realities in the game, particularly at the local level, that need to be faced up to and addressed.  Perhaps the top down driven changes that have given us the St Piran League will focus minds at all levels across the County.

Steve Carpenter.  Nothing has changed when half the teams in  the new set up can't be promoted anyway just as before.  Some progress.    You have all jumped on  the bandwagon because the suits 200 odd miles away say so.  The only thing that will change is the name.  The clubs stay the same promotion and relegation will stay the same so what's changed.    

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

Can Reserve sides benefit from the funding angle?

Probably not Dave; their facilities should already meet the criteria for Step 7 and the majority of the extra funding available is only awarded to improve facilities in order to achieve the standard of the Step in which they are playing. If they were unable to play on their own Step 6 pitch, eg because of a long-standing ground-share agreement with another Step 6 (or above) Team, I suppose there could be a chance of funding.

9 hours ago, ECPL said:

Steve Carpenter.  Nothing has changed when half the teams in  the new set up can't be promoted anyway just as before.  Some progress.    You have all jumped on  the bandwagon because the suits 200 odd miles away say so.  The only thing that will change is the name.  The clubs stay the same promotion and relegation will stay the same so what's changed.    

I understand where you're coming from and you obviously have a strong affinity to the ECPL.  I don't know what you know of the process that we've gone through to get to the point we're at now and I'm certainly not going to run through it here in great detail.  Feel free to get in touch if you want the brief.  You could make the argument that nothing has changed yet everything has changed.  I would make the following three comments/observations.

1.  The 'suits' you refer to are the various committees and boards within the FA.  Whether you like it or not they govern the game all the way down and if they say this is 'the structure that we want in place' then that is what happens.  The changes to the NLS have been going on for a few years and are now reaching there conclusion.  They were signed off by the FA Council and are not optional.  This coming season will see pretty much all of the changes implemented with some fine tuning to come a year from now.

2.  The policy is that ANY club can start at the very bottom and have a clear path to the very top.  The entry point to the NLS is at Step 7 and these are County based leagues so not to have one is not an option.  During the early discussions (I was out of the country at the time so this is what I've been told) the solution we now have was suggested but not taken for whatever reason.  Also, the Combination and ECPL Leagues were given the option of getting involved at Step 7.  For whatever reason(s), and I'm sure they were strong and valid reasons for each of those leagues, they declined the opportunity.  Some months later the embryonic committee picked up the reins with the one division solution which started with strong interest which sadly waned in the east.  At that point we had to change tack to ensure that the clubs in the east had good opportunities to progress and we were fortunate to get our amended plan sanctioned. 

3.  In essence nothing has changed as regards the ECPL.  I don't wish to speak too much out of turn here but they have always had a plan that in general terms reduced the ECPL down to one division as a result of the Step 7 changes and Ken at the meeting last week clearly had a plan for the way ahead for his league.  Nothing new in this at all.

No bandwagon to jump on, the policy is passed down for implementation and somebody has to do it.  You may not like the solution and that is your prerogative.  The only sure thing is that if you keep banging your head against this wall all you're going to get is a headache similar to the one I've had for the last week.  

Thank you for that.  Yes the move to the NLS has upset a lot of people but what is certain is that the suits have no interest in Cornwall or its history.  As I said all that has happened is that the FA have hijacked two leagues for what.  It certainly isn't progress.   My affinity to the ECPL is irrelevant, my views are of the protection of football at this level.  The lure  of grants etc does not apply to the reserve teams.  What people must realise is there is a limit to how far a team can go.  The SWPL is now a farce where you have the leagues being downgraded to include teams who will be hammered every week.  When will the powers to be actually think about football at this level.  It is not like London or Birmingham where you have hundreds of clubs within a 40 mile radius.  I will be proved right.  If the FA just stuck to the ECPL and Combo leagues then nothing would have changed.  But no we have people serving on both committees.  How fair is that.  And yes the two leagues were not interested in setting up a new league because they were happy with what they had.  But no and I say it again the suits 200 miles away put the jackboot in.  They have shown their true colours in the female game and are now doing it at this level.  I am sure everyone will try and make it work but unfortunately football is the loser.  I will say it again there is only so far a club can go - think about that.    And no I don't have a headache.  My mind is clear - it is a big mistake but hey since when did common sense come into the equation.   And guess what it will all change again after next season.  But the FA will still put the boot in to local football.  So good luck with that.   You say 'The policy is that ANY club can start at the very bottom and have a clear path to the very top.'  Didn't we already have that or am I missing something.                 

Only time will tell how it pans out ECPL.  We all share your concerns about protecting football at this level, it's struggling and contracting all the time.  All those of us involved with the new structure can do is give it our best shot and that is what we will do.

37 minutes ago, ECPL said:

You say 'The policy is that ANY club can start at the very bottom and have a clear path to the very top.'  Didn't we already have that or am I missing something.                 

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been.  There was indeed a pathway with the feeders into the SWPL(W) Division at Step 7 but it was broken when the Peninsula League decided that their involvement would stop at Step 6 with the two 20 team divisions.  A Step 7 League was then needed to replace SWPL(W) in order to maintain that link.  This, in abbreviated form, takes us to where we are today.  

38 minutes ago, John Dunn said:

I cannot see Mike Newcombe giving up the reins of the Duchy League to merge with ECPL?

It will be interesting to see what is left to merge with next week John. I'm sure many Duchy sides will (quite rightly) want to move up a division and fill the vacancies but you can't suddenly conjure up 150 more 'senior' quality players so how long will the CCFA be prepared to accept them in the Senior Cup ?

Rest assured the Duchy League will adapt and move on as i'm sure will the Trelawny League.

Personally, I wish all the clubs the very best whatever they decide to do.

Are there any developments to this situation? Is anyone any the wiser as to what the constitution of this league will be?

I understand the ECPL meeting last night was somewhat of a farce, largely because they simply don't know what clubs will be left in their league. I'm sure the Combo is n the same position.

Is today D-Day for the St Piran League to announce it's final constitution?

1 hour ago, Shouter said:

Are there any developments to this situation? Is anyone any the wiser as to what the constitution of this league will be?

I understand the ECPL meeting last night was somewhat of a farce, largely because they simply don't know what clubs will be left in their league. I'm sure the Combo is n the same position.

Is today D-Day for the St Piran League to announce it's final constitution?

5pm today is the cut off time.  I will be posting the constitution dispatched to the FA for ratification shortly afterwards.

8 hours ago, John Dunn said:

I cannot see Mike Newcombe giving up the reins of the Duchy League to merge with ECPL?

I thought Mr.Newcombe resignes as Duchy League Secretary following their much publishised Final last season.

Paul - your views on a merger ?

32 minutes ago, Adlestrop said:

I thought Mr.Newcombe resignes as Duchy League Secretary following their much publishised Final last season.

Paul - your views on a merger ?

Mike is still a League Officer and his input is greatly appreciated but something like this would not be one person's decision anyway or even the Committee's decision it would have to be down to all the member clubs.

I certainly don't see the need for four Leagues to be operating below St Piran but right now, for me personally, I don't see too much to merge with. Nothing is likely to get changed for next season and by then everyone's views (including mine) may well have changed.

I must stress I am expressing a personal view, not that of the League.