Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint, Saltash, Polperro and the way ahead.

The League can confirm that over the weekend Torpoint Reserves, Saltash Reserves and Polperro have withdrawn their applications to join the St Piran League. 

These withdrawals present a number of concerns and as a result discussions have been taking place between the League, the CCFA and the FA.  These discussions will continue this week and once the outcomes are known they will be made public.  The only certainty is that there will be Step 7 football in Cornwall next season.  To not have it is not an option.

No further comments will be made until decisions have been made on the way ahead.

27 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Don’t see why?

Probably because of the hard work involved in setting it up & maybe the people who are running it want to see it succeed. If it didn't go ahead where would it leave clubs like Ludgevan, Bude, Penryn, St Day, Carharrack Etc. 

One assumes for Penryn and St Day - they would stay in the Combo. Their AGM comes after presumably when the St Piran format has to be finalised by. Carharrack if necessary will be relegated to the Trelawny as they finished bottom. Likewise Ludgvan and Bude will have to accept relegation to wherever. Relegation was always the fate they faced when in the SWPL D1W.

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

One assumes for Penryn and St Day - they would stay in the Combo. Their AGM comes after presumably when the St Piran format has to be finalised by. Carharrack if necessary will be relegated to the Trelawny as they finished bottom. Likewise Ludgvan and Bude will have to accept relegation to wherever. Relegation was always the fate they faced when in the SWPL D1W.

If Ludgvan came down would they not need someone to replace them? Slightly unfair as I'm sure penryn would have applied to join Peninsula had that been an option. Also for a team like carharrack who have been told all season that there will be no relegation, to get relegated is also surely not fair, although may do them good. Then you have the plans for combination to reduce the amount of teams in the league, that would have to be scrapped, unless they fancied relegating the bottom 6 clubs.

2 minutes ago, Roy D said:

If Ludgvan came down would they not need someone to replace them? Slightly unfair as I'm sure penryn would have applied to join Peninsula had that been an option. Also for a team like carharrack who have been told all season that there will be no relegation, to get relegated is also surely not fair, although may do them good. Then you have the plans for combination to reduce the amount of teams in the league, that would have to be scrapped, unless they fancied relegating the bottom 6 clubs.

I wouldn’t worry. By the sounds of it the new league and the Cornwall FA are going to make the new set-up work and so we’re getting far too involved in “what if” than necessary!

16 hours ago, ECPL said:

And now I understand Bude are interested in joining the ECPL.  Happy days 

Happy days for whom? Certainly not for Bude. As things stand today, they are in a difficult situation - through no fault of their own. I'm sure they will be exploring all available options but won't rellish the fact that they could lose their current status.

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

Happy days for whom? Certainly not for Bude. As things stand today, they are in a difficult situation - through no fault of their own. I'm sure they will be exploring all available options but won't relish the fact that they could lose their current status.

Totally agree John. I can not understand why ECPL seems to great enjoyment in the fact teams have pulled out of joining the St Piran League. I personally feel rather saddened they have because, as you say, one or two clubs are now out on a limb and in a sense have had the rug pulled out from underneath them.

I wonder if they stick with the current format no matter how heavily weighed it is to one side of the county or not. Then say if you want to progress through the pyramid system you have to join and go through this league! Even though reserve teams are accepted its again more about smaller or ambitious clubs to promote their main teams to gain funding for grounds/equipment and on a pyramid system. If teams dont want it, dont climb on! If no one climbs on 😬! Agree its all very late in the day.

It is not just me saying happy days it is football that has won. Put it this way how many clubs had the ways or means of progression beyond their current status. Clubs should be able to progress at their pace. We live in a world where running a football club at any level is becoming more difficult. How many of these at this level are even sustainable. What benefit to them is all these so called grants going to do. At the end of the day a club has to have players and management and a committee. Gone are the days that Saturday was football day.

Is it not time that the suits actually thought about football at this level. To say they are forming a league that will offset travel is ludicrous. Would it not have been better for the FA to look at Cornwall on a map and actually see the problem. To have a league that extends the whole of Cornwall is bizarre to say the least. If they did they would see that it is blindingly obvious that the Combo and ECPL fit nicely into and East and West. The ECPL has survived in all its forms since its inception in 1961. It has been a valuable feeder in to the SWPL.

So why did the FA go down this route. And lets be honest about this - they have the ways and means to set up the St Piran League and will do everything in their power to see it come to fruition.

What we have to understand is that the system prior to the formation of the St Piran League was fine. The Combo in the West and the ECPL in the East saw a natural progression to a higher level. So why the change. What do the suits actually think. They have already destroyed the SWPL by having teams like Millbrook and Torpoint having to play at a lower standard in Devon.

Is it not time that the FA actually put football first especially in Cornwall. The FA still have time to pull a plug on this ridiculous move and let common sense prevail. If the FA are actually serious in helping football at this level then they should listen to the people who work and play down here.

What they have to look at is the person or manager who actually plays the game. How can anyone in their right mind expect a player without recompense to possibly have to take time off from work to travel the long distances every other week. Surely it is time the FA looked at the blindingly obvious that is WHAT IS NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX.

51 minutes ago, ECPL said:

Surely it is time the FA looked at the blindingly obvious that is WHAT IS NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX.

Just like the East Cornwall League wasn't broken back in 2006 when someone decided to "fix" it by adding a second division and we end up with a situation like now where 8 of the top 9 teams are reserve sides.

Sorry ECPL but I dont agree. You ask what good the grants would do? Try better facilities for players, officials and spectators, floodlit grounds for more evening ties, improved equipment and grounds maintenance increasing playability of pitches. These grants will not be available outside of Step football...My understanding is that many ECPL and Combo clubs pay players...so why do you say no "recompense"? Does anyone actually take unpaid time off from their regular Saturday employment to play?? "Junior" football clubs often have huge trips to make...try Holywell,Godolphin or Newlyn up to Boscastle, North Petherwin, Stoke Climsland...these are 6hr days just for 90mins football...And I doubt any drivers get any mileage payments. Every club has sponsors...try getting just one extra to cover mileage for your 10 away league games and the burden of cost that you see as possibly destroying all local football would vanish...football has to develop and move with the times. Perhaps a solution would be move it all to Sunday mornings...oh...sorry..if it aint broke dont fix it right....sin bins?? Never work...oh..it does actually.....

I'm astonished so many clubd are being short sighted regarding this....there are great opportunities and possible success stories in the making...North Petherwin may yet get in and open up all manner of funding streams...I for one will raise a glass if in a few seasons they have created facilities fit for a local cup final ....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...and this is just mine ...

Sorry countryman you just don't get it.  Just talk to players and managers as to why they don't see the reason for having another step.  Look at it this way.  The new set up if it comes to fruition will actually be of a lower standard than the current ECPL.   Players and managers must come first when you consider any change.  Teams from both the ECPL and Combo have moved up in the past so why change it.   And please where on earth did you get that ECPL [players are paid.  They wish.  And Richard does it mater that the ECPL has a number of reserve teams.  Are you saying don't worry lads we don't want you playing football go play for your local village or park team.  It has not been thought out from the start and to be fair to the CCFA they are only following what their masters want in London.  I expect the only time they see Cornwall is when they come down on holiday.         

As I said...my opinion....and everyone is entitled to them ..however ECPL you have still not explained why grant funding as stated is not beneficial ..nor why 10 or so away drives  a season should be the biggest hurdle (as virtually every remainer seems to go on about) and supposedly destroy clubs??? And Richard's point is well made..whilst your disparaging mention of "go play for your local village team" shows that the National FA are probably not the only ones without a grasp of the history and tradition of local Cornish football........

Nice try.  I cant help it if you don't get it.  Football is the winner that is the point.  Money is the smoke screen.  If the FA thought they were doing right then they would look at ALL levels of football, not what looks good on a map.  And you cant blame the County FA, they have no option but to carry out what the suits 200 odd miles away say.    As far as travel is concerned.  Look at the map of Cornwall - your answer is there.