Cornwall Football Forum

Official statement from Penzance AFC

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Could this be the start of something bigger. It feels like all the so-called minnows being gobbled up to make a bigger and bigger being. Which club will be next to be merged as the green machine spreads east? Ludgvan, then St. Ives and then Hayle. Helston and Penryn and Falmouth will also be in their wake and we will surely end up with Cornwall FC. You can all laugh but what is in place to stop it? We all know money talks as Mr Chapman is candidly demonstrating. 

As is Mr Massey.

Yes geography is an obstacle but England geographically is a small country, so let’s not over exaggerate the isolation. Yes it’s been a challenge for Truro, but if winning the fa vase at Wembley, reaching the Fa cup first round and playing national league South is suffering, then maybe some other clubs should start looking to suffer as well. You are showing more than negativity. 

2 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

Three years ago Plymouth Parkway merged with Bar Sol Ona. The Bar Sol Ona chairman took over the chairman position at Parkway. The club is going from strength to strength. Can you not at least wait to see the proposals before all the doom and gloom? The constant negativity and small minded parochialism demonstrated here and throughout Cornish football in general, is cancerous and slowly killing the game in the county.

Please don’t compare a merger with Bar sol Ona, a pub team to a merger with Penzance, 1 of the founder members of the league. 🙄

7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

There's a bit of sense in the merger if you think about it. 

Penzance been struggling for a good few years and look to be in bit of bother. Mousehole with all the ambition, but going nowhere due to location.

If the combining of the two clubs makes a route for both, then good on both of them.

If it works really well the amalgamation of the two clubs looks like it could be a powerhouse in local football.

Makes a lot of sense to me. 

Penryn merging with Falmouth Town I hear Dave. !  Really. 🤬. Will never happen whilst your still breathing m8.

32 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Please don’t compare a merger with Bar sol Ona, a pub team to a merger with Penzance, 1 of the founder members of the league. 🙄

Penryn merging with Falmouth Town I hear Dave. !  Really. 🤬. Will never happen whilst your still breathing m8.

Was spoken about a few years ago!

Never say never!

Did I just say that! got to lie down now. 

Well said Kev. The Plymouth and West Devon League are full of two-bit pub teams like Bar Sol Ona, The Windmill, Hideaway Cafe etc. They just appear. Mousehole have been going since 1923 and Penzance a lot longer.

I for one hope nothing comes of it. Penzance is Penzance and Mousehole is Mousehole. Get some floodlights at Trungle Park, fix the approach road and you have a pretty decent ground, albeit a few miles further down. Seems one team is getting two big for its boots and the other is too small.  

10 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I would think planning for lights would be a problem at Trungle, it could be seen for miles I would imagine. 

With new floodlights tending to face downwards I would imagine it would be ok. Just got to sort out the access. Until 4x4s become the norm it'll be a bumpy trek and when they achieve Football League status the visitors will have to charter helicopters to land on the cricket pitch akin to Man United in 1987.

41 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

The floodlights at Mount Wise can be seen from many a mile and quite a spectacular sight when travelling to Newquay

You are correct Mike I often see them on when you join the dual carriageway at Carland Cross. Used to be one of the nightclubs in Newquay also had a laser light show but not seen that one for a while. 

4 hours ago, Rayvon said:

You are correct Mike I often see them on when you join the dual carriageway at Carland Cross. Used to be one of the nightclubs in Newquay also had a laser light show but not seen that one for a while. 

Berties nightclub I think. Memory a bit hazy, combination of the passing years and probably being slightly the worse for wear at the time.

Anyway, sorry for taking the thread off topic.

21 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

Yes geography is an obstacle but England geographically is a small country, so let’s not over exaggerate the isolation. Yes it’s been a challenge for Truro, but if winning the fa vase at Wembley, reaching the Fa cup first round and playing national league South is suffering, then maybe some other clubs should start looking to suffer as well. You are showing more than negativity. 

And a lot of local lads were/are in those teams...….

Not negative just realistic. Oh and then factor in what it has cost Mr Heaney, Mr Masters and Truro itself. You can keep your suffering lol

At least hear the proposals! Shouldn’t Cornish football be glad of investment. It’s been a bumpy ride for Truro, but at least they’ve won stuff and put Cornwall on the football map. The Mousehole owners also have a big commitment to youth. This could open the door for local youngsters. Shouldn’t we concentrate on that?

31 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

At least hear the proposals! Shouldn’t Cornish football be glad of investment. It’s been a bumpy ride for Truro, but at least they’ve won stuff and put Cornwall on the football map. The Mousehole owners also have a big commitment to youth. This could open the door for local youngsters. Shouldn’t we concentrate on that?

Is this the Truro that played in Devon and imported a lot of "foreigners"? Local football is apparently dying, teams cannot raise sides and fold etc etc. What magic wand has been found?Youngsters are increasingly going to University or just cant be bothered hence the numbers crisis in local football - its not me saying it - there are lots of posts on here from various quarters. With regards to the Mousehole owners being committed - obviously not committed to the village of Mousehole any longer....

49 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

If the 2 club's do merge,surely you cannot have 4 teams playing on one pitch

4 teams ???  There will only be 2 teams. 1st team playing at Penlee park, 2nds at Trungle. Great for all those loyal Mousehole stalwarts who will now have to go to Penzance to watch their club, that they have supported for 30/40 years, play. !

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Is this the Truro that played in Devon and imported a lot of "foreigners"? Local football is apparently dying, teams cannot raise sides and fold etc etc. What magic wand has been found?Youngsters are increasingly going to University or just cant be bothered hence the numbers crisis in local football - its not me saying it - there are lots of posts on here from various quarters. With regards to the Mousehole owners being committed - obviously not committed to the village of Mousehole any longer....

Not committed? From what I’m hearing, floodlights being installed right now, stand being upgraded and various groundwork’s. I wish there were more uncommitted guys around like that at my club :)

1 minute ago, NTforever said:

Not committed? From what I’m hearing, floodlights being installed right now, stand being upgraded and various groundwork’s. I wish there were more uncommitted guys around like that at my club :)

So why move? And please don't say its for the good of the community because that's BS!!

7 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

4 teams ???  There will only be 2 teams. 1st team playing at Penlee park, 2nds at Trungle. Great for all those loyal Mousehole stalwarts who will now have to go to Penzance to watch their club, that they have supported for 30/40 years, play. !

Thought they were talking of 4 teams in different leagues. That's what Paul stated earlier on this thread

On 12/05/2019 at 20:26, cornishteddyboy said:

One side in SWPL Cornwall (Mousehole), one side in St Piran (Mousehole Reserves), one side seeks to drop in the Combo (Penzance), one side in Trelawny 3 (Penzance Reserves) finally Marazion in Trelawny 4.

Seems obvious

Allows for one other club to join SWPL Cornwall and St Piran.

Turn coat

12 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

The floodlights at Mount Wise can be seen from many a mile and quite a spectacular sight when travelling to Newquay

I quite like seeing that though

As far as I can see with Cornish soccer is going in lots of different directions with clubs merging , managers moving let alone the players .... I’m glad I’m still involved with my club which just trungles along with no budget etc players paying to play and financially in the black ... After reading on here we are very lucky 😃

• 3 years later...