Cornwall Football Forum

Official statement from Penzance AFC

Penzance and Mousehole Football Clubs are in discussions to explore in principle the possibility of the two clubs merging into one identity. An interim committee has been formed with members from both clubs, chaired by Mr Deryk Heywood, to bring this to fruition. Further information on this will be released in due course. 

Thank you

Charlie Farley Penzance AFC Secretary 

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

POLITE ANSWER.

Does that really matter as long as those involved in the ongoing discussions are happy with him taking up that role?

Course it matters John if he is fronting/leading the new committee at Penzance, & leading the new takeover? I only asked  POLITELY what position Mr. Haywood currently has local football .. ? Or is there something I don't know ....

52 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Course it matters John if he is fronting/leading the new committee at Penzance, & leading the new takeover? I only asked  POLITELY what position Mr. Haywood currently has local football .. ? Or is there something I don't know ....

Haywood left Wendron to go to Mousehole. He is subservient to his paymaster.

Actually he was the Chairman at Porthleven 12 months ago but took up the position of (I think) Director of Football at Mousehole. He is a former goalkeeper at Penzance and an experienced chef who runs a successful restaurant in the centre of town. He's originally from Liverpool and still supports Everton but has lived in West Cornwall at least since the 1960s. That's as much as I know but still don't think it is important or relevant to him chairing meetings.

Ok, I know know why it's hush hush .... He is the chairman of Mousehole FC, now going in to PZ as Chairman ..... RIP Penzance AFC as you know it, & have done for the last 110 years. A great great shame. Any local manager local to the area down there Speak up now before it's to late! As for the Supporters .... Sincere condolences your club will be gone

2 hours ago, Mr Justice said:

Haywood left Wendron to go to Mousehole. He is subservient to his paymaster.

Derek was never ‘involved’ in Wendron - and nor was his money. He merely supported one of our Trelawny sides as his son played in it at the time. This was before his stint at Porthleven, before his time at Mousehole. 

Restaurant owner in Penzance and former player of both Penzance and Mousehole I believe.  

Good man from my knowledge, but can’t say I agree with this... 

There are more links though - wasn’t Hough, former Leeds chairman involved with Penzance, with Leeds having links to Mousehole too? I think this has been on the cards for some time 

6 hours ago, Joe Slovo said:

No your not going mad Kev. Seems some people don't understand the definition of a merger! 

So, basically Mousehole are moving their club/ players & supporters in to Penzance? 

With the new committee will be headed by Derek Heywood ( who is currently Chairman) of Mousehole FC?? 

So what happens to current Penzance supporters, & playing staff? 

Wasn't their tensions between these two sides during the season, it's like asking your current group of players & support to defend you & the club, then months later you throw them all 'under the bus' & sell your identity to the village down the road ... ? 

Having read many posts on here & elsewhere, sounds to me like PZ had no option but to run to Mousehole cap in hand, to help save what is left of PZ, NO CHIAMAN, NO MANAGER, NO COMMITTEE, what is left? A few journeymen footballers & some kids. The writing been on the wall for years. Looks like they had no choice!

If the aim is to create one strong club in West Cornwall that can play at a higher level, whilst creating a pathway for local youngsters, is this not a good thing? At least let’s see what the proposals are. If West Cornwall eventually had a team to challenge Truro, couldn’t the local community get behind that? Penzance and Mousehole could still perhaps keep their identities as feeder/reserve teams!!

12 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

One side in SWPL Cornwall (Mousehole), one side in St Piran (Mousehole Reserves), one side seeks to drop in the Combo (Penzance), one side in Trelawny 3 (Penzance Reserves) finally Marazion in Trelawny 4.

Seems obvious

Allows for one other club to join SWPL Cornwall and St Piran.

10 hours ago, kevin richards said:

But surely a merger is 2 become 1. Can only be Mousehole or Penzance, not both. !!! 🤔. Mousehole can not run Penzance & Penzance can not run Mousehole. 1 of them has to go, or are we missing something. !!!

9 hours ago, Joe Slovo said:

No your not going mad Kev. Seems some people don't understand the definition of a merger! 

Perhaps I should have put The Former such and such team ...... but to me it seemed obvious which team, no matter what it is called could go where. But then you haven't merged yet so those names still stand.

22 minutes ago, Richard Rundle said:

What is in it for Penzance?

The demise of a once great club, yes they have slipped down the pecking order big time but unless they can garner genuine working support from within they will be fodder for whoever comes along with an offer that seems  to solve all their woes.
Our concern if we were TRUE Penzance supporters, is the manner in which Mousehole appear to have been dropped like a hot potato.
What guarantee have Penzance got that the same won't happen to them when things don't go as planned, and their sponsors disappear, Mousehole may best be able to answer that conudrum.
Good luck to Penzance football club, we have a feeling you may need it.

Or just keep the two separate clubs in the top division, & share the ground? Mousehole pay PZ rent for use of facilities, & have to run the ground on their own specific Matchday's ? Mousehole still have their dream of achieving great things & will have a facility to help them with that, & Penzance make a few quid out of renting the ground but more importantly keep their identity/supporters/history which has served them for over a hundred years ... ? 

The trouble on here is that every word gets dissected, then comments are taken out of context and printed in local press. I mean, why the hell should anyone from the two clubs involved have to respond to the questions from some random Bodmin supporter (cue howls of derision). (as JM replied in a previous post elsewhere, 'polite response'). 

Penzance and Mousehole will be merging. We are working extremely hard to get it done in time for next season. All I ask is that our players and supporters give us the time to do this. The merger, not a takeover, or a sell out, will benefit football in all Penwith as any surplus from the two first teams becoming one will naturally play somewhere else and boost local teams. 

59 minutes ago, Joe Slovo said:

The trouble on here is that every word gets dissected, then comments are taken out of context and printed in local press. I mean, why the hell should anyone from the two clubs involved have to respond to the questions from some random Bodmin supporter (cue howls of derision). (as JM replied in a previous post elsewhere, 'polite response'). 

Penzance and Mousehole will be merging. We are working extremely hard to get it done in time for next season. All I ask is that our players and supporters give us the time to do this. The merger, not a takeover, or a sell out, will benefit football in all Penwith as any surplus from the two first teams becoming one will naturally play somewhere else and boost local teams. 

Well said, and there is a bit of detail that clarifies a bit of the thought behind the merger.

Sounds like a decent enough proposal to me.

Maybe the overall agenda is for Truro City to ground-share with Mousehole/Penzance.  Keep them close to their owner neighbours and free up Treyew Road.

Just joking....  I think........!!

Seriously though it is very sad to see a club of the stature of Penzance seemingly having to go down this route.  Penlee Park is second only to Bickland Park as a classic Cornish football ground with a real atmosphere and a great setting and the town and all the ex-players and officials should all pull together to make sure this merger does not happen.

23 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Maybe the overall agenda is for Truro City to ground-share with Mousehole/Penzance.  Keep them close to their owner neighbours and free up Treyew Road.

Seriously though it is very sad to see a club of the stature of Penzance seemingly having to go down this route.  Penlee Park is second only to Bickland Park as a classic Cornish football ground with a real atmosphere and a great setting and the town and all the ex-players and officials should all pull together to make sure this merger does not happen.

So how could we do that?

There's a bit of sense in the merger if you think about it. 

Penzance been struggling for a good few years and look to be in bit of bother. Mousehole with all the ambition, but going nowhere due to location.

If the combining of the two clubs makes a route for both, then good on both of them.

If it works really well the amalgamation of the two clubs looks like it could be a powerhouse in local football.

Makes a lot of sense to me. 

4 hours ago, Joe Slovo said:

Sounds very defensive for just a 'Merger!' 

Penwiths biggest club surrendering 

59 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

I like your sense of humour Town Man. Not sure where Truro City will be playing next season, will it be Trungle Parc, Penlee Park, Mennaye Field or even Malpas Park, but seriously though I have heard through the grapevine that a couple of teams may drop out of the Southern Prem next season meaning City will be reinstated. Watch this space. :c:

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

There's a bit of sense in the merger if you think about it. 

Penzance been struggling for a good few years and look to be in bit of bother. Mousehole with all the ambition, but going nowhere due to location.

If the combining of the two clubs makes a route for both, then good on both of them.

If it works really well the amalgamation of the two clubs looks like it could be a powerhouse in local football.

Makes a lot of sense to me. 

Thought for a while that people have to think the unthinkable in terms of the amount of clubs in Cornish football.

Amount of players are down, volunteers to run clubs are down, sponsorship money and revenues are down and attendances (although some clubs did show an increase last season) have been on an overall downward trend for years.

Business wise, it makes sense. But of course football is largely about emotion and not logic.

Sorry but it's a complete sell out. Goodbye Penzance as i remember it. Yes i have not watched for a few seasons since life became more important. How many times have Mousehole approached the Magpies to join forces or teams, remember the underhanded loss of our ladies teams a few years back, them lying to the town council to find out the rent and lease underhandedly? Penzance will lose it's identity and become Mousehole, the loss of history, will we lose our magpie status, the history lost. Maybe a good thing long term but sad to lose the team that i visited throughout my childhood watching games, chasing the ball back from behind the stand or in penlee park. I think in part this is probably financial or based on the loss of helpers behind the scenes as most are becoming aged now and looking to retire. The younger generation (yes that includes myself) not interested in the politics behind the playing field or willing to be on the committees anymore. What's to draw them in? Nothing, sat in boredom in the clubhouse while the same pipe dreams are discussed over and over. If Mousehole will bring change, like the building of the changing room/new entrance etc which was discussed at least 8 years ago at committee meetings then maybe change wouldn't be so bad? Lets just hope that Penzance doesn't loose it's complete identity. 

6 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Lot of truth here. Like you, I agree it will be sad if Penzance lose their identity.

Look a bit strange Mousehole playing at Penlee Park though ? Mousehole is/are not Penzance and, Penzance is not Mousehole  !!

9 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Lot of truth here. Like you, I agree it will be sad if Penzance lose their identity.

Look a bit strange Mousehole playing at Penlee Park though ? Mousehole is/are not Penzance and, Penzance is not Mousehole  !!

Penzance won’t have any say in this, they are a struggling Club who are not in a great position, Mousehole hold all the cards here, they will be told what’s happening and when.

Three years ago Plymouth Parkway merged with Bar Sol Ona. The Bar Sol Ona chairman took over the chairman position at Parkway. The club is going from strength to strength. Can you not at least wait to see the proposals before all the doom and gloom? The constant negativity and small minded parochialism demonstrated here and throughout Cornish football in general, is cancerous and slowly killing the game in the county.

8 hours ago, Joe Slovo said:

Well that flies in the face of an earlier post where it was stated that a committee had been formed to explore the merits of a merger and Mr Haywood was chairing the so-called committee to hopefully implement things if found to be a viable concern. 

With reference as to why anyone should answer questions - if you don't want questions asked, don't put it on a public forum!!!

1 minute ago, Rob1978 said:

Three years ago Plymouth Parkway merged with Bar Sol Ona. The Bar Sol Ona chairman took over the chairman position at Parkway. The club is going from strength to strength. Can you not at least wait to see the proposals before all the doom and gloom? The constant negativity and small minded parochialism demonstrated here and throughout Cornish football in general, is cancerous and slowly killing the game in the county.

The Cornish are extremely proud of their footballing heritage and Pz AFC (love or loathe them) are a huge part of this heritage so please try and understand that this negativity cuts a lot deeper than your speculation 

Could this be the start of something bigger. It feels like all the so-called minnows being gobbled up to make a bigger and bigger being. Which club will be next to be merged as the green machine spreads east? Ludgvan, then St. Ives and then Hayle. Helston and Penryn and Falmouth will also be in their wake and we will surely end up with Cornwall FC. You can all laugh but what is in place to stop it? We all know money talks as Mr Chapman is candidly demonstrating. 

3 minutes ago, le boss said:

Could this be the start of something bigger. It feels like all the so-called minnows being gobbled up to make a bigger and bigger being. Which club will be next to be merged as the green machine spreads east? Ludgvan, then St. Ives and then Hayle. Helston and Penryn and Falmouth will also be in their wake and we will surely end up with Cornwall FC. You can all laugh but what is in place to stop it? We all know money talks as Mr Chapman is candidly demonstrating. 

I for one would be in favour of this “Cornwall FC” everyone pulling in the same direction if they keep the team they have at the minute with some more additions of the same oak they will leave the local leagues in their dust........giving Cornish  people a team to follow at a decent standard worth watching........Friday Night home games, wouldn’t effect local league attendance on Saturday and get good attendances at the same time. 

Problem is people are fickle in cornwall and will just hate from a distance and not embrace change. Heaven forbid someone try’s to do something good for a community. 

The plan might be big and may or may not come off but you can’t knock someone for trying to do something. 

2 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

I for one would be in favour of this “Cornwall FC” everyone pulling in the same direction if they keep the team they have at the minute with some more additions of the same oak they will leave the local leagues in their dust........giving Cornish  people a team to follow at a decent standard worth watching........Friday Night home games, wouldn’t effect local league attendance on Saturday and get good attendances at the same time. 

Problem is people are fickle in cornwall and will just hate from a distance and not embrace change. Heaven forbid someone try’s to do something good for a community. 

The plan might be big and may or may not come off but you can’t knock someone for trying to do something. 

Great in theory but as, if desired, they rise thru the leagues, then geography will become a huge obstacle. That is not negativity, that is realism. Truro have suffered for it and even Argyle suffer from it. And as for "doing something for the community" - the head honcho is a businessman interested in ultimately making money - a little naïve to think it is really a community project. If it were then why didn't Penzance get help a few years ago in the name of community spirit?

19 minutes ago, le boss said:

Great in theory but as, if desired, they rise thru the leagues, then geography will become a huge obstacle. That is not negativity, that is realism. Truro have suffered for it and even Argyle suffer from it. And as for "doing something for the community" - the head honcho is a businessman interested in ultimately making money - a little naïve to think it is really a community project. If it were then why didn't Penzance get help a few years ago in the name of community spirit?

Unfortunately Penzance are a casualty of the rapid decrease of popularity of the game at adult level, less players, less help, less support. Can’t be sustained without any of them. If I was a betting man I would say they won’t be the only established team to fold in the local area. 

Agree with the geographical bit, but the way “the academy” set up seems to be different to the way others have tried in the past. 

I will watch with an open mind to see what happens.