Cornwall Football Forum

Alan Carey returns!

10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Matt Friday of the Falmouth Packet reporting that Alan has left Porthleven to join up with Darren Gilbert at Bodmin Town for next season. 

It feels a bit like a pop band from the nineties that had a few big hits, but split acrimoniously, getting back together for an arena tour to promote a greatest hits album (with possibly one or two new tracks) with little anticipation and expectation outside of their core fan base, for whom it will remind them of happier times.

6 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Both Gilbert and Carey will add financial fire power to Bodmin.

Rickard, Hillson, Thackeray, David, Davies, Robins, Calver, Lorenz, Brown, Raven, Richards, Nixon, Carter all apparently being lined up on big money.

So they're going to chuck loads of money around to win £2,000 in prize money! Sounds like an ego trip to me!

8 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Both Gilbert and Carey will add financial fire power to Bodmin.

Rickard, Hillson, Thackeray, David, Davies, Robins, Calver, Lorenz, Brown, Raven, Richards, Nixon, Carter all apparently being lined up on big money.

Three strikers Richard, Lorenz & Carter all on big money, but surely not all 3 will play every week! So a bit pointless really 

2 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

So they're going to chuck loads of money around to win £2,000 in prize money! Sounds like an ego trip to me!

Yes  but to get promotion to the Western  League you have to throw money around, ask Leeds he'll back me up on this one. 

15 hours ago, cornishlegend said:

Alan Carey is a top manager. Players will want to play for him knowing he has a track record of winning. Bodmin have obviously set the target to win the new league next year. Good luck to them. 

"top manager"? I have heard quite the contrary about Carey if you consider what a "top manager" should be...

5 hours ago, quiksilver said:

Three strikers Richard, Lorenz & Carter all on big money, but surely not all 3 will play every week! So a bit pointless really 

Tavistock had Grant, Davey and Prynne this season all on good money and they managed it (Prynne and Grant both on 3 figures, not sure about Davey).

You can’t win a league with just two recognised strikers, keeping them happy will be an issue IF they all sign but sometimes money talks (sitting on the bench for between £50 - £100 sometimes sweetens things) and it’ll be up to the Manager or Managers in this case to rotate it and make it work.

55 minutes ago, John Mead said:

They won't want to win the League then. Compulsory promotion for Champions next season and their proximity to the A30 would make it difficult to find a reason not to go up!

I can see a few not wanting to finish as champions! 🤔

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

They won't want to win the League then. Compulsory promotion for Champions next season and their proximity to the A30 would make it difficult to find a reason not to go up!

I'm sorry. In amongst all the written posts re next season I must have missed promotion was compulsory

A sixth peninsula title for Bodmin would be inferior to the other 5 as the league is now split. There is no Argyle, Parkway, Buckland, Tavi or Exmouth to finish above. If Bodmin’s aim is to go up and take on those teams again, great! If not, what is the point??

Good luck to Alan & Darren going to be quite a ride next season I reckon 👍 .Typical how a post on Alan Carey joining Bodmin turns into the usual cobblers about other issues that we’ve read so many times before and they still bore the life out of you ! But then I suppose some people love to rake over the same old naff stuff 

1 minute ago, beacon said:

Good luck to Alan & Darren going to be quite a ride next season I reckon 👍 .Typical how a post on Alan Carey joining Bodmin turns into the usual cobblers about other issues that we’ve read so many times before and they still bore the life out of you ! But then I suppose some people love to rake over the same old naff stuff 

A bit like Bodmin then.

1 hour ago, Roy of the Rovers said:

Because of ground grading requirements, I thought the mandatory promotion rule was not going to apply until the 2021/22?

John,  has this rule now changed? 

If so, and the mandatory promotion rule does come into force in 2019/20, then next season could be very strange indeed. 

My understanding is that it's compulsory from next season. In fact, there could be two promoted Clubs from each of the divisions next season. The Western League will need to help fill Step 4 Leagues above them! Only the champions would be compulsory though.

Explain how it’s cobblers? An excellent league has been split into two partly due to Bodmin’s habit of buying up talent, only to clog up the pyramid. Any chance of you giving an intelligent defence of Bodmin’s philosophy? The club has never explained itself. If the club wants to stick to county football, that’s fine. But don’t go splashing the cash on everyone elses players. If Tavi can go up, why can’t Bodmin?

Wouldn’t say the league would be Bodmin's already but Gilbert and Carey would take some stopping with their contacts and money.

A lot depends on Steve Massey as to where he ends up, have heard a Truro City return is not out of the question. If he stays at Helston, they would be strong contenders with some interesting signings on the horizon.

Top 6 - Bodmin, Helston, Saltash, St Austell, Falmouth and Mousehole.

Bottom 6 - Penzance, Wadebridge, Porthleven, Dobwalls, Wendron, St Dennis.

16 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Tavistock had Grant, Davey and Prynne this season all on good money and they managed it (Prynne and Grant both on 3 figures, not sure about Davey).

You can’t win a league with just two recognised strikers, keeping them happy will be an issue IF they all sign but sometimes money talks (sitting on the bench for between £50 - £100 sometimes sweetens things) and it’ll be up to the Manager or Managers in this case to rotate it and make it work.

No disrespect but only Josh grant is a top striker out of them 3 prynne is average and Davey past it, if they were on top money then naive from tavistock 

1 minute ago, mockey jackson said:

Josh grant is a top striker out of them 3 prynne is average and Davey past it

What does that say about the rest of the league if Tavistock can win it with  second rate and average players ?🤔

7 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Wouldn’t say the league would be Bodmin's already but Gilbert and Carey would take some stopping with their contacts and money.

A lot depends on Steve Massey as to where he ends up, have heard a Truro City return is not out of the question. If he stays at Helston, they would be strong contenders with some interesting signings on the horizon.

Top 6 - Bodmin, Helston, Saltash, St Austell, Falmouth and Mousehole.

Bottom 6 - Penzance, Wadebridge, Porthleven, Dobwalls, Wendron, St Dennis.

Wouldn't have that as your bottom 6.  If they don't recruit heavily then Sticker, Camelford, Launceston and Callington will be amongst it along with Dobwalls, Wadebridge and Penzance.

12 hours ago, Mick Throbsaw said:

Wouldn't have that as your bottom 6.  If they don't recruit heavily then Sticker, Camelford, Launceston and Callington will be amongst it along with Dobwalls, Wadebridge and Penzance.

Agree with the Sticker, Dobwalls, Penzance and Wadebridge statement, think they’ll all be found out pretty quickly.

Reg Hambly knows what it takes to stay in competitive leagues and isn’t afraid to dish out some cash to achieve it, Camelford will be lower mid table.

Don't know what to expect at Callington and Launceston this year. Heard Gary Jeffery is going back to Launceston so expect them to be better and that Callington are totally re-vamping their squad so expect them to be tidy this year.