Cornwall Football Forum

JUNIOR CUP FINAL 2019 - Sunday 5 May 2019

38 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

Via Twitter (@mouseholeafc)

Foxhole Stars 0-2 Mousehole Reserves

Scorers: Marsden, Fitchett

Watch a very entertaining Junior Cup Final today. 

A game of two half’s. Foxhole the better team in the first half with their direct approach. Mousehole to their credit played some nice football on the ground but never really threatened the Foxhole keeper. Foxhole 10 struck a thunderous strike that hit the bar........that was about as good as his afternoon got 😉 (has some friendly banter with the crowd in the second half). 

Second half was a better one for Mousehole they continued to play football and deservedly took the lead with a 30 yard screamer into the top corner from No 10 giving the keeper no chance. Not long after it was two nil No 9 with a neat finish off the post (cries of handball from the Foxhole bench, not given two nil).

Foxhole felt hard done by when a goal was disallowed for a foul on the keeper (right decision for me slightly bias).

Foxhole tried to find away back into the game, but never really troubled the keeper, a couple of scrambles in the penalty box from set pieces. Mousehole defended brilliantly and deserved to lift the cup.  

Foxhole failed to make the most of their chances on goal in the first half. Denied by a couple good saves from Dominic Angove , one off the woodwork and Mousehole getting a couple vital blocks in when it looked easier for Foxhole to have scored.

When Caleb Marsden gave Mousehole an early second half lead with what must have been a top corner of the net from possibly 30 yards shot and only minutes later, Foxhole having an effort that went in disallowed , one had the feeling it might be the Trelawny League side’s afternoon.

I assume Foxhole’s was disallowed  due to a foul on the keeper. It was one of those where fair enough shout by the ref, although seen them given too!

Before the hour was up Mousehole doubled their lead through Michael Fitchett and although Foxhole continued to press, they failed to penetrate a Mousehole stubborn defence and no wonder their No. 5, Ben Ward,  was rewarded with the Man of the Match.

Congratulations to the winners while for a obviously disappointed Foxhole, they go away to concentrate on winning the Duchy Premier and the KMD Developments Cup.

Thanks also to the Cornwall FA on your invite and to the Hayle club for your hospitality and of course needless to say, perfect looking playing surface.

Official attendance given as  417

Must of cost the club a fortune today as no one allowed in the club house until after the game so could only get a drink from the outside bar/shed.Football wise after speaking to whets (who's gutted ),they'd beat that team today 9 times outta 10 if in the same league but 4/5/6 players from foxhole didn't perform for wotever reason .2 very big decisions went very wrong as there was nothing wrong with the foxhole goal & the 2nd goal for mousehole was a blatant handball which all 417 in attendance saw but all 3 officials missed !!!!!!!!

Sunday 5th May 2019

Foxhole 0 Mousehole 2 (Marsden 49, Fitchett 57) Junior Cup final at Hayle

Foxhole should have been out of sight by the break but were left to rue their inability to convert numerous opportunities. It wasn't top scorer Griffin's day, alas, as he twice elected to pass into an area unoccupied by team-mates when clean through, before crashing a thunderbolt against the bar, while Angove did well to turn Gilbert's close range effort over the bar. Mousehole must have known it was going to be their day when the appropriately named Hands' blatant hand-ball in the box was not spotted.

With the breeze at their backs after the restart, the west Cornwall side soon went ahead with a long range drive from Marsden, who hadn't had a kick until then. The Foxes responded immediately when Griffin's deep centre was headed back by Bould for substitute Reed-Bennett to force home, only for the goal to be mysteriously ruled out. Foxhole's week of bizarre decisions going against them continued when Fitchett somehow got away with controlling a high ball with his arm, which allowed him the space to turn Whetter and fire past Bullen, while Aidan Dingle's excellent full-blooded challenge on Howes was inexplicably deemed worthy of a booking. Mousehole were able to see out time in relative comfort, and credit to them for grinding out a victory having been comprehensibly outplayed for much of the game. Judge for yourselves on Mousehole's facebook page for the whole match.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Matt Bullen; Nathan Papaioannou, Chris Brown, Lee Whetter, Huw Morgan; Bradley Allen, Nathan Allen, Levi Kerrigan, Martin Gilbert; Richard Griffin, Benno Bould. Subs: Lee Reed-Bennett, Jowan Dingle, Aidan Dingle, Rory Barnacle, Ryan Wilkins.

Mousehole (4-4-2): Dom Angove; Matt Howes, Tom Hands, Ben Ward, James Tonkin; Jamie Simons, Joe Davies, Jason Simmonds, Callum George; Michael Fitchett, Caleb Marsden. Subs: Jacob Trudgeon, Alex Nixon, Ben Fewkes, Tom McGarry, Tom Hooper.

Thanks to the officials and Hayle FC.

You say aidans full blooded challenge on howes wasn't a booking, I think in this day and age you can't launch yourself into a challenge like that and not expect to be booked. Although he took the ball he could of easily also done serious damage to his opponent. 

Foxhole needed that goal when on top in the 1st half, I think foxhole were poor 2nd half and when the usual ball for Griffin to run onto wasn't working they ran out of ideas. I thought the number 6 for mousehole defended very well against Griffin considering in a sprint there would only be one winner!

Cracking 1st goal for Mousehole but he wasn't closed down and had time to get a clean strike on goal. 

Congratulations to Mousehole 

11 hours ago, Jason Prynne said:

Must of cost the club a fortune today as no one allowed in the club house until after the game so could only get a drink from the outside bar/shed.Football wise after speaking to whets (who's gutted ),they'd beat that team today 9 times outta 10 if in the same league but 4/5/6 players from foxhole didn't perform for wotever reason .2 very big decisions went very wrong as there was nothing wrong with the foxhole goal & the 2nd goal for mousehole was a blatant handball which all 417 in attendance saw but all 3 officials missed !!!!!!!!

Laughable, beat that team 9 out of 10 times 😂😂😂😂

One team played football, one team relied on long ball. Thank the heavens that the the football team won and not the Wimbledon team of the 90’s.

Disallowed goal justified you can’t slam the keeper into the post mid air (maybe 30 years ago). Handball can’t comment as I couldn’t see it. 

I would have to agree with most of the considered reports, Foxhole should have been well ahead by the break but the fact is they weren't.  Mousehole defended well, hung on well almost, and then their second half performance was deserving of the victory.  

Congratulations to Mousehole and my friends at the Trelawny League - it took you a while but you got there !!

Excellent facilities and well hosted by Hayle FC, great hospitality.  It was a big event for just three CCFA staff to handle but Richard, Paul & Claire  came up trumps. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Del Boy said:

Laughable, beat that team 9 out of 10 times 😂😂😂😂

One team played football, one team relied on long ball. Thank the heavens that the the football team won and not the Wimbledon team of the 90’s.

Disallowed goal justified you can’t slam the keeper into the post mid air (maybe 30 years ago). Handball can’t comment as I couldn’t see it. 

Agree with you definitely a foul on the keeper I was right next to the goal when it happened mousehole played the better football and foxholes long ball tactics didn’t work the best side won....

Well done to mousehole defended well and and took there chances that we didn’t , gutted for the club and the supporters but told all the players don’t expect to turn up and pick up the trophy and I think a few of them thought that was the case seeing mouseholes recent run of form . Well done again mousehole top bunch of lads after the game aswell . Hopefully we can get 3 points tomorrow at st Dennis to win the league . But for me I would take junior cup winners and finish mid table all day long 😥

2 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

I would have to agree with most of the considered reports, Foxhole should have been well ahead by the break but the fact is they weren't.  Mousehole defended well, hung on well almost, and then their second half performance was deserving of the victory.  

Congratulations to Mousehole and my friends at the Trelawny League - it took you a while but you got there !!

Excellent facilities and well hosted by Hayle FC, great hospitality.  It was a big event for just three CCFA staff to handle but Richard, Paul & Claire  came up trumps. Thank you.

Thanks Paul , yes it has taken a while but victory for the Trelawny League tasted so much better with that Humble pie from Mr Newcombe !!!! 

All this talk of the best football playing side is laughable pretty football isn’t the be all playing to your strengths is how to win games if the long ball is your best way of winning titles why is that wrong ask Jason prynne at st Stephen how direct football has gone for him. Foxhole desperately unlucky in this game I don’t think mousehole played any football two chances all game took them both fair play but i can’t recall them really having the ball let alone any sort of possession to play this so called football. First goal unbelievable strike but foxhole midfield should never allowed the player that time and space to take on the shot. Second goal from my position pretty much in line with the incident striker offside from the lump forward (route 1 😂) controlled with his arm but a tidy although scuffed finish. Foxhole disallowed goal was ludicrous foxhole player got to the ball first the ball in the back of the net before the keeper clattered in to the foxhole player. All that said loved watching the game very entertaining only criticism was the warm tins of beer on a lovely sunny day but the pitch looked fantastic what improvement over the last year from when we played our semi last year there. Well done mousehole unlucky foxhole. 

Must admit I tipped the Foxes to win it from day one but it wasn’t to be their day as is often the case in a cup final. Superb reflex save from Angove to deny Gilbert and Griffs strike against the underside of the bar would have beat any keeper. A few other half chances and Mousehole lucky to go in 0-0 at the break. Was just coming out of the CCFA lovely half time spread, well done Claire, better buffet than some weddings I’ve been to!! To see Marsden who had a quiet match up to then hit a 30 yard strike into the top corner which Messi or Ronaldo would have been chuffed with. Foxhole bounced back immediately and had the goal disallowed for a foul on the keeper which I can’t comment on as I didn’t see it but seems as if it was a 50/50 decision? Had a feeling after that it might not be the Foxes day and that was confirmed when Fitchett doubled the lead with a scuffed finish off the post which are the best ones sometimes rather than hitting it clean. Was right in line with it and he looked onside I thought but did control it with the top of his arm but there was no way the ref who was behind it and Dave running the far touchline could have seen it to be fair. Thought Fitchett had a great game as a bit of a lone striker against two very good and experienced centre backs. After that Mousehole defended brilliantly to stop a side scoring that have been full of goals all season. Angove’s handling was impeccable all afternoon and it was a day where everything went against Foxhole, had a few finals like that as well unfortunately!! Congrats to Mousehole and hard luck to Whetts,Shaun and the Foxhole lads who will probably have woken up this morning kicking themselves but they can still make it a great job done and celebrate the Foxes 100th anniversary with a league and cup double in the next couple of weeks which I’m sure they will. 

Really good to see the matchday programme,  similar to the Senior Cup with players picture and mini bios. It's a shame the County Women's Cup was just a simple one page piece (soggy from the get go because it was wet when I was given it). Well done to Hayle for a good show and a brilliant attendance.

Since the Junior and Senior Cup finals have been on different days, was 2019 the year of the highest attendances?

All the superstars of Foxhole got out foxed and I loved every minute of it. When in the make shift bar the cockneyness of the Foxhole supporters saying it was going to be 5 or 6............must say some humble pie must taste nice in the village of Foxhole 😂😂😂😂😂

Best team won the day..........and Mousehole’s name is on the cup!!!!!

The reputation of Foxhole proceeded them with all the moaning and groaning after the game about decision’s 😂😂😂😂😂

Lovely day had by me and all the Mousehole fans 🏆🏆🏆🏆

29 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

All the superstars of Foxhole got out foxed and I loved every minute of it. When in the make shift bar the cockneyness of the Foxhole supporters saying it was going to be 5 or 6............must say some humble pie must taste nice in the village of Foxhole 😂😂😂😂😂

The reputation of Foxhole proceeded them with all the moaning and groaning after the game about decision’s 😂😂😂😂😂

Your boring mate..

35 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

No way did the best side win proper cup upset the little under dogs taking the scalp well played unfortunately that will be as good as it gets for mousehole I feel however foxhole will only go on to get stronger and challenge for lots more honours in the near future

On 06/05/2019 at 10:50, coady-9 said:

but i can’t recall them really having the ball let alone any sort of possession

They must have had it on at least two occasions.
What goes in the net is what matters, and no matter how much better than the opposition you are , or think you are, and maybe that was partly Foxholes problem, you only win in this game by scoring more than your opponents.
Foxhole must step up next season and show us what they are capable of because this seasons results will be just a memory.