Cornwall Football Forum

Steve Tully

Ivor Marshall Whilst Nero fiddled Rome burned - Whilst Truro sank it's ship was not worth the repair.-

Many must have wondered how HUNGERFORD got the results that sent us down - I think it may have been cash investment -

Hungerford this week announced the appointment of two businessmen as Chairman and Vice Chairman after stating they needed fresh impetus a month or so ago. Their current chairman steps down along with their club secretary and club treasurer.

A SMALL CASH INVESTMENT MAY HAVE SAVED TRURO FROM RELEGATION. -

What did we do upset the apple cart by sacking the management team at a time a number of away performances were showing a fight to stay up.

Truro needs Somersetspurs cheque book 🤡 and Tully to steady the ship.

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED that a few clubs are strapped for cash and TRURO CITY as top ranked relegated team may be reprieved escaping the drop.

clear_shim.gif
BJM 
Junior Team Star 

Apr 28, 2019, 3:01 PM 

Team(s): Thatcham Town 

Post #36 of 36 (812 views) 
Shortcut 
Re: [kirby knitters] Hungerford Town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Of course it happens and i take my hat off to the likes of Hungerford for achieving it and lets hope it doesn't come crashing down because without investment it's nigh on impossible to sustain and people want play-offs at step five without realising the full implications for the future of clubs chasing the 'dream of trophy football' Madness! absolute madness!................................................................................................................................................................... 

According to the Newbury Weekly News (25/4/19) "Businessmen step in to secure future of club" and goes on to report that Hungerford have now appointed a Chairman and Vice Chairman. Interesting to note that these appointments took place before the team secured the vital point the Club required yesterday to retain their place in National League South.

I came across this since entering my previous posting above. 

Hi Kirby Knitters a few balls have hit the net since we last met on the net - Continued good luck to Hinkley A.F.C

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sport/

The Ebbsfleet United Managing Director denies  they are going for voluntary demotion to the Bostic league

OTHER News reports mention a number of Court actions etc. that could see the company wound up.

Mentioned have been late accounts, unpaid bills, late wage payments although some things sre reported to be delayed when transferring money from Kuwait.

It may be in Truro's interest to declare an interest should some clubs decide to take a downturn in fortunes - In saying that I wish all clubs well.

I forgot all is rosy in the Goldeneye garden and where has that landed Truro City - No one is saying much about the mess we are in.

All I am doing is making fellow supporters aware that should an opportunity arise Truro City despite relegation are still in a position to  compete in the 2nd level of non leagues highest level.

Of the 6 relegated teams (N & S) Truro tops the PPG league and as such are in pole position to fill any vacant spot that may occur.

Mountaineer, my post was nothing to do with your post - just a general point of view. If I had several million in the bank the last thing I would do is invest in a football club!! A lot of people who used to watch non league football no longer do so and your never going to get them back. Non league football reminds me of the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch.

Maybe Goldeneye would like to bolt Truro's door on the way out of Treyew Road.

If Truro City returned to "community status" attendances could increase 60/70% however, stripped of their club and involvement was the 10 year recipe that failed. In truth WHAT IS LEFT to get excited about, I attend Truro matches because it is my home town club and when there I meet many very nice people whose family roots stretch beyond many borders.Crowds would increase if Joe Public was made to feel part of something.

Goldeneye is probably right, I work with loads of football fans, only problem is they support Premier league teams they have largely never even been to see.  Trying to get them out to watch live football of almost any standard is impossible.  Add to that the parochial nature of Cornish support and you are on a hiding to nothing.  Truro could be in the premier league and people would still say 'i'm a Newquay boy, not watching them'.  I'm not convinced Truro's crowds would increase if they dropped back to local football if that's what's meant by 'community status'   Until the whole county can get behind a team then football in Cornwall will remain in the back waters and we will never have a top class team capable of reaching league status.  Much as I hate to say it, the team needs a name change to something like 'Kernow United'

I just think its a shame loads of people in Cornwall travel to Plymouth to watch Argyle when they could have a league team down here if they got behind an ambitious team, doesn't have to be Truro, could be anyone.  Once you start getting to National conference level you aren't comparing like for like.  i.e I can support Liverpool, Crewe and Truro and probably Helston.

46 minutes ago, superdario said:

I just think its a shame loads of people in Cornwall travel to Plymouth to watch Argyle when they could have a league team down here if they got behind an ambitious team, doesn't have to be Truro, could be anyone.  Once you start getting to National conference level you aren't comparing like for like.  i.e I can support Liverpool, Crewe and Truro and probably Helston.

Penryn then Tottenham, in that order, and that's it for me.

I rarely take in other games, and then it would primarily teams we play against before I went anywhere else.

On 03/05/2019 at 16:30, superdario said:

Goldeneye is probably right, I work with loads of football fans, only problem is they support Premier league teams they have largely never even been to see.  Trying to get them out to watch live football of almost any standard is impossible.  Add to that the parochial nature of Cornish support and you are on a hiding to nothing.  Truro could be in the premier league and people would still say 'i'm a Newquay boy, not watching them'.  I'm not convinced Truro's crowds would increase if they dropped back to local football if that's what's meant by 'community status'   Until the whole county can get behind a team then football in Cornwall will remain in the back waters and we will never have a top class team capable of reaching league status.  Much as I hate to say it, the team needs a name change to something like 'Kernow United'

I don't mean drop back to local football that's why I rattle on about remaining in the national league south if one team drops out, if Gateshead go Aldershot would take it's place meaning only 3 teams relegated from the national league but 4 promoted from divisions north and south leaving those leagues a team short, under league rules that position would be offered to the relegated team from the North and South with the best PPG and that club is Truro City. I am hopeful that the new regime welcomes and involves the fans so they at long last feel they belong to something special. I read the following article from the Pirates website and got the feeling that's what to expect. Football clubs are after all community assets.

The article 2 months old. https://cornish-pirates.com/general-news/truro-city-football-club-confirm-sale-to-the-cornish-pirates/