Cornwall Football Forum

The Way Too Early Transfer Rumour Thread (2019 Version)

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:16, Mick Throbsaw said:

Few rumblings heard in the last 2 weeks.....

Expecting a clear out at Launceston. 

Handful from Torpoint to leave should they end up in the East, a few aren't happy with the decision.

Helston to be strong next year owing to the fact there will be some more £££ down there with Massey and expecting a few familiar faces back there!

Saltash looking for a Centre half with a shortlist of 3 players drawn up, Josh McCabe, Josh Wright and Dan Evans.

Expect St Austell to lose a fair few, to helston and Falmouth.

Bodmin expected to raid Saltash and Tavi for a couple players as well as Liskeard players.

Jarryd Woods, Lyle Johnston and James Lorenz all leaving Liskeard.

Callington to recruit almost a new squad.

Camelford working on getting the Hopcrofts to sign and also looking to take some Bideford fringe players in.

Newquay to lose 4 or 5 to Godolphin.

Dane Bunney looking to get a number 1 somewhere and is interested in the Elburton and St Austell roles.

Liskeard chasing Ricky Cotton from Callington and Dan Pethick from Bodmin as well as a new keeper.

St Blazey looking to rebuild with a majority of St Austell 2nd team.

As I said, all rumblings I have heard on my travels to games over the last few weeks.  The various people I have heard this from could be on a wind up, some could be in good faith. I guess time will tell.

Hearing  that St Austell 2nds are heading down towards Blaise Park and Stu Austell First team all appear to be getting on the Massey Bus down at Helston.  Not a bad early judgement. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Guess that most teams will be back for pre-season in a few weeks. No doubt the informal chats and approaches are happening.

As, technically, the "football year" doesn't end until midnight on Friday 31st May, no-one should be persuading players to leave their current club until 1st June - when the close season starts and all are free agents to go where they wish! Not that this rule is ever observed - much like the 7 days notice before talking to transfer prospects during the season. I appreciate there must be rules to "control" movement of players but should they be changed so they are more likely to be complied with?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw on Twitter set to announce a couple of signings last night.... nothing as of yet but will bet my front door (ive got one spare in case this one falls through ;) ) that its at least one, maybe even both from St austell

8 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

With all this big money at Helston, Porthleven, Mousehole etc maybe the 'Cornwall footballing Pendulum' will be swinging towards the West of the County this season 

Think that St Austell will be more consistent challengers under Lee Hodges, don't rule out Saltash as well. As for Bodmin, who knows? Would guess that there will be a big turnover of players, but whether they can attract the necessary calibre to make up the gap from last season is a big question.

43 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Think that St Austell will be more consistent challengers under Lee Hodges, don't rule out Saltash as well. As for Bodmin, who knows? Would guess that there will be a big turnover of players, but whether they can attract the necessary calibre to make up the gap from last season is a big question.

By the sound of it on here , he’s going to have to bring fresh players in as a few been tempted by the 💶💶

6 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

A complete squad rebuild at St Austell  Will have to take place after several players have left the club. I’m not sure that the current manager will have many contacts at this level so it will be interesting to see what develops for the Lilywhites .... I think in the case of both Saint Austell and Bodmin that the clubs may be turning towards young players and cutting their cloth accordingly financially

37 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

A complete squad rebuild at St Austell  Will have to take place after several players have left the club. I’m not sure that the current manager will have many contacts at this level so it will be interesting to see what develops for the Lilywhites .... I think in the case of both Saint Austell and Bodmin that the clubs may be turning towards young players and cutting their cloth accordingly financially

Yes, would think large part of any budget has been spent on management

It's actually £1200 a month they recieving so a St.Austell player reliably  informed me yesterday at Royal Cornwall Show. That's a huge chunk of money for this level of Football, but Lee Hodges is a top manager, & although I don't think it will last I'm sure he entice & create a Competitive side. Also told at the Show Ground, Helston paying Eddy & Goldie a £4500 signing on fee Each . Helston on this scale if sustainable will be huge favourites 

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

It's actually £1200 a month they recieving so a St.Austell player reliably  informed me yesterday at Royal Cornwall Show. That's a huge chunk of money for this level of Football, but Lee Hodges is a top manager, & although I don't think it will last I'm sure he entice & create a Competitive side. Also told at the Show Ground, Helston paying Eddy & Goldie a £4500 signing on fee Each . Helston on this scale if sustainable will be huge favourites 

Funnily enough, although not at Royal Cornwall, I have heard the same regarding figures 👍

8 minutes ago, SCFC said:

Funnily enough, although not at Royal Cornwall, I have heard the same regarding figures 👍

I know this has been going on for years (and is unsubstantiated talk on sites such as these and various social media outlets), but how are "signing on fees" or "golden hello's" treated with regards to club accounting and tax declarations? The alleged large amounts of money that are labelled "expenses"are one thing , but this feels like something else all together. This forum is a public domain. so what would happen if HMRC read this and decided to show an interest?

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

I know this has been going on for years (and is unsubstantiated talk on sites such as these and various social media outlets), but how are "signing on fees" or "golden hello's" treated with regards to club accounting and tax declarations? The alleged large amounts of money that are labelled "expenses"are one thing , but this feels like something else all together. This forum is a public domain. so what would happen if HMRC read this and decided to show an interest?

From my understanding, the clubs can state that they are paying expenses, however, they must be justifiable/have records to justify.... 9.9/10 cases, they are not justifiable. So HMRC would have a field day, however, clubs run the risk and seem to get away with it. The main way clubs get around this (as with Mr Massey at Helston), they get sponsors to fund players, or in Massey's case, he himself will fund this. This has no effect on the club itself, but the player is supposed to state this form of income (pretty much everyone doesnt)

6 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Were you in the beer tent at the time when you heard these reliable rumours Leeds. :drink:

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

income for the player yes but would not effect the club in any way

Incorrect gentlemen. Any payment to players, no matter whose pocket it originates from, will be assumed by H.M.R.C. to have been paid via the Club. Thus the Club, and ultimately its officers and committee, are responsible for the ensuing tax and National Insurance commitments. Once spotted by, or reported to, the revenue they can, and will, investigate and make assumptions of sums going back a number of years.

Of course it would never happen here in the backwaters of grassroots football. Except, of course, it already has. More than one Cornish Club are still paying off back taxes and fines in instalments going back decades. Enough to blight the financial and playing aspirations of any Club!

I find it quite funny that all this money being spent on teams in a league that is now worse  on player quality then it’s ever been. All the better players have gone to parkway  , tavi , Tiverton, Taunton  etc to test themselves in high standard of football  , 

Crazy to pay stupid money on teams that lucky to get  about 40 fans watch on Saturday 

47 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I find it quite funny that all this money being spent on teams in a league that is now worse  on player quality then it’s ever been. All the better players have gone to parkway  , tavi , Tiverton, Taunton  etc to test themselves in high standard of football  , 

Crazy to pay stupid money on teams that lucky to get  about 40 fans watch on Saturday 

Who ever you are sportsman 10 that's the most sensible thing said on here for ages

I did say this would happen ! Having such a long delay in appointing a manager has led  to players being talked into disappearing elsewhere which hasn’t been helped by the fact that the budget has been cut for another season. It’s not going to be a particularly easy start to the season for the new management team that’s if they decide to carry on with no squad. St Austell Is a very well run club but this last 12 to 18 months has been a rollercoaster ! Fantastic club and amazing Fans deserve better

14 minutes ago, THE BALD ONE said:

So what positions do they play. Is one the young left back

Yes and Tinsley a right back or midfield

1 minute ago, Del Boy said:

Helston spending an absurd amount of cash to get in fresh blood.....if the rumours are true. 

Old news bud!!

If Helston want to spend big in order to progress up the football pyramid then good on them, good to see a Cornish team wanting to move up into the western league.

However, if they are throwing all this money around to win the Cornish village league and not take promotion, you really have to ask what is the point?

Latest Helston rumours.

Helston Chairman and Steve Massey both in Portugal (this is not a rumour and can easily be confirmed with a twitter search) for the Nations League Cup and scouting new signings for upcoming season. Original plan was to agree terms with John Stone to help bolster the Helston defence.  But after his display yesterday, they decided to go after Harry Kane  as not only did he put in a better defensive display last night than Stones, but Massey was overheard saying he would be a useful back up if either Goldsworthy or Eddy are injured, or get lost walking the mile from their homes to Kellaway Park on home match days.

in order to help raise the $100 million signing on bonus for Kane, Helston AFC will be appearing in the new season of Dragons Den where they are asking for £1,000,000 in exchange for 1% equity in HAFC.  Paul Hendy Chairman said he would be willing to throw in a couple of season tickets and a half time pasty if needed to sweeten the deal. The other  £99 million is coming from the home games 50/50 raffle, where tickets will now cost £1 million each.

Before you all scoff at this information it must be true, as I was told it by regular CFF contributor Leeds Utd, while sharing a pint with him at the “Pigs with Wings” exhibition at the Royal Cornwall Show.  Following several pints of triple strength “Bodmin Baloney”  I left him at the cattle ring where he was busy shovelling the bullshit.

Best regards to all

Roy

Just heard the Kane deal has fallen through, but Jordan Annear signing for Real Madrid after Eden Hazard decides to sign for St Austell.