Cornwall Football Forum

The Way Too Early Transfer Rumour Thread (2019 Version)

38 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Linvoy Primus thats a name from the past remember him with the massive head of hair when he played here in Newquay for Portsmouth  he must be well into his 60s now , I reckon when the new season starts the front 2 for Bodmin will be Hobbs and Carter

They better turn up for training soon then

3 hours ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

This comment will probably put you in the running. 

Was a serious question as hes always been known to throw the cash around like others have done, everyone's right their own money. But the likes of mewton, Gilbert have had silverware to back it up, so was not sure if he had the success in return 

19 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Helston got a huge budget ... Fail to win it this time would be exceptionally embarrassing for Steve 'silk' Massey 

Oh my God the jealousy is pouring out, more than half the Helston team will be local when has Gilbert ever been able to make that statement with his huge budget?  yes that is a question please feel free to answer 

34 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Oh my God the jealousy is pouring out, more than half the Helston team will be local when has Gilbert ever been able to make that statement with his huge budget?  yes that is a question please feel free to answer 

Gilbert has win numerous trophies ... Assure you no Jealousy here! Why would their be .... Just check the Swpl record books 🤣😉

Tbh the money being bounded around is ridiculous it will ruin Cornish football it’s not sustainable and is giving false expectations to players, I can not believe we have got to the point where players are getting thousands of pounds to sign for clubs when all you win for winning the league is two grand! The idiots who persist with this tactic will ruin Cornish football, what’s happened clubs will go under great work guys

3 minutes ago, SID said:

Tbh the money being bounded around is ridiculous it will ruin Cornish football it’s not sustainable and is giving false expectations to players, I can not believe we have got to the point where players are getting thousands of pounds to sign for clubs when all you win for winning the league is two grand! The idiots who persist with this tactic will ruin Cornish football, what’s happened clubs will go under great work guys

It's happened in the past, and will always happen. Football clubs are doomed never to learn by their mistakes, just consider the roll call of Cornish clubs in the last 20-25 years that have gone through boom and bust stories. I'll start with Bugle.

The problem is all the decent players have gone or  stepped up with clubs in higher leagues so really the money floating around the Cornish league should be getting less not more as the standard is worse   

It’ll would imagine most of top earning players were Plymouth based over the years . 

On 28/06/2019 at 18:28, leedsunited said:

Helston got a huge budget ... Fail to win it this time would be exceptionally embarrassing for Steve 'silk' Massey 

I dont think it would be an Embarrassment for him. We all know he is loaded and it's a hobby for him, and like all hobbies people spend a lot money on them. From what i have heard he is also putting his own money into refurbishments and development of the club...so bloody good luck to him and Helston i say. Like Smiler said i think there is jealousy around...i am!! I wish someone like him would come to.my club and pump money in on and off the field...and i am sure none of you would turn it down if offered to you 

22 minutes ago, Seagull4ever said:

I dont think it would be an Embarrassment for him. We all know he is loaded and it's a hobby for him, and like all hobbies people spend a lot money on them. From what i have heard he is also putting his own money into refurbishments and development of the club...so bloody good luck to him and Helston i say. Like Smiler said i think there is jealousy around...i am!! I wish someone like him would come to.my club and pump money in on and off the field...and i am sure none of you would turn it down if offered to you 

I agree with what he is doing for the club I think it’s fantastic however there is zero forethought for the future of the league when you start giving players in step 6 football thousands to sign on, it’s ludicrous! All that will happen is that players will start expecting some sort of finance for signing as they will see it as a standard, I would say 70% of clubs struggle year after year to finance the player budgets along with all the other associated costs, there has to be a degree of common sense, and if Helston manage to win the league which they should after chucking ridiculous money at it we all know it’s because they had the most money! This isn’t premier league this is grass roots non league football that’s losing control. 

More power to him returning the club house etc, great community work

Refurbing 

21 hours ago, SID said:

The money you claim being bounded about has arisen from rumour and Chinese whispers - not once have I seen clear proof of any figures so perhaps a little perspective is required. With regards to "those idiots" who wish to spend the money, perhaps the Chairpersons and committees who are in charge of these clubs should be questioned - after all, these are the people who allow their clubs to benefit from it albeit sometimes fleetingly. Maybe when the pound signs flash in front of their eyes, it is they who should think long term. Are you really asking us to believe that there is not a club in Cornwall who would not accept financial input for their day in the sun??? But back to Helston - knowing the Chairman very well, please be assured that if Mr Massey left tomorrow, the club will still be sustainable. Mr Massey has been a businessman for many years I believe, so he cannot be that naïve either but as been said on this forum, it is his money - so who cares. Best of luck to him and Helston

27 minutes ago, le boss said:

The money you claim being bounded about has arisen from rumour and Chinese whispers - not once have I seen clear proof of any figures so perhaps a little perspective is required. With regards to "those idiots" who wish to spend the money, perhaps the Chairpersons and committees who are in charge of these clubs should be questioned - after all, these are the people who allow their clubs to benefit from it albeit sometimes fleetingly. Maybe when the pound signs flash in front of their eyes, it is they who should think long term. Are you really asking us to believe that there is not a club in Cornwall who would not accept financial input for their day in the sun??? But back to Helston - knowing the Chairman very well, please be assured that if Mr Massey left tomorrow, the club will still be sustainable. Mr Massey has been a businessman for many years I believe, so he cannot be that naïve either but as been said on this forum, it is his money - so who cares. Best of luck to him and Helston

I’m confident there will not be a any evidence of finance to players as there is no reason to be I know first hand a player we approached was offered 1k as a signing fee at another club, it is only my opinion that this is ludicrous and in my humble opinion I think it is bad for the future of the league and of course it sets unrealistic expectations for players.

of course every team would welcome their day in the sun (heavy finance) however I would not at any point be offering the sums of money mentioned even if we had it, reason being is that level of finance is not sustainable at any club if they haven’t got a personal investor,  who can walk at any time!

in my opinion only that bears no real relevance I think ego is the problem here more than much else.

not meaning to offend simply state my thoughts as the forum is designed 

33 minutes ago, le boss said:

Agreed 100%, and good on them. It seems the opportunities for the much advertised u18s will be limited as see that at least 3 have left 

3 minutes ago, SID said:

I’m confident there will not be a any evidence of finance to players as there is no reason to be I know first hand a player we approached was offered 1k as a signing fee at another club, it is only my opinion that this is ludicrous and in my humble opinion I think it is bad for the future of the league and of course it sets unrealistic expectations for players.

of course every team would welcome their day in the sun (heavy finance) however I would not at any point be offering the sums of money mentioned even if we had it, reason being is that level of finance is not sustainable at any club if they haven’t got a personal investor,  who can walk at any time!

in my opinion only that bears no real relevance I think ego is the problem here more than much else.

not meaning to offend simply state my thoughts as the forum is designed 

Could it be that the player who stated he was offered 1k may have been guilding the lily a little for his own ends/ego. We all know players love to think they are better than they really are. 

On 29/06/2019 at 14:46, leedsunited said:

Gilbert has win numerous trophies ... Assure you no Jealousy here! Why would their be .... Just check the Swpl record books 🤣😉

Do we also have to check the records to see how many local lads he used or are you going to answer the original question? 

4 minutes ago, NTforever said:

Agreed 100%, and good on them. It seems the opportunities for the much advertised u18s will be limited as see that at least 3 have left 

But I think others have joined - that's football and youngsters can easily have their heads turned for greener grass or even pushy parents - not saying this is the case here though

2 minutes ago, le boss said:

Could it be that the player who stated he was offered 1k may have been guilding the lily a little for his own ends/ego. We all know players love to think they are better than they really are. 

Could easily be the case but I actually seen the message from the said club and manager

I actually don’t have a problem with the money he’s spending. He is clearly a wealthy man and as someone pointed out it’s his hobby and ‘ play thing’

however I do think he sets himself up for criticism, he constantly discusses a youth policy which isn’t really that unique and then pays ringers from Bideford 200/300 pounds a game. 

its this I can’t get my head around. 

12 hours ago, Hetty said:

I actually don’t have a problem with the money he’s spending. He is clearly a wealthy man and as someone pointed out it’s his hobby and ‘ play thing’

however I do think he sets himself up for criticism, he constantly discusses a youth policy which isn’t really that unique and then pays ringers from Bideford 200/300 pounds a game. 

its this I can’t get my head around. 

£300 wow !!! Really?

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, frank de bouff said:

Heard Saltash have signed a sports psychologist to help players they've signed acclimatise to the Cornish climate. The psychologist will also help with discipline after the number of red cards received last year. Can anyone confirm this is true? Sums the club up if true. Embarrassing, really

How is this embarrassing?

1 hour ago, frank de bouff said:

Heard Saltash have signed a sports psychologist to help players they've signed acclimatise to the Cornish climate. The psychologist will also help with discipline after the number of red cards received last year. Can anyone confirm this is true? Sums the club up if true. Embarrassing, really

Sounds progressive to me, good on em