Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Hayle 1 Foxhole 3

Recommended Posts

Hayle 1 Foxhole 3

Saturday 18th January 2008

Although Hayle enjoyed the majority of possession in each half, they created few clearcut chances as Foxhole successfully snuffed out the potentially dangerous threat of Shiels and Quinn, while also breaking away to score three times and deservedly seal the victory. Little occurred in the opening half hour, except for Mooney's yellow card for a foul on Rickard, soon followed by Bromley's harsh caution after a clash with Quinn, although Holland had to react smartly to deny Shiels.

However, on 32, a rare flowing move saw Dillon release Giles down the left, and his firm centre was turned past his own keeper by the sliding Johns. Foxhole's attempts to see out time till the break were dashed when they allowed Thomas to sweep home left footed from 12 yards six minutes later, but, within seconds, Rickard had restored the lead when his less than vicious shot from the edge of the box deceived stand-in keeper James.

The Foxes should have added a third within moments of the restart after Rickard had capitalised on James' hesitancy but the angle proved too tight. Hayle then enjoyed a lengthy period of largely midfield possession but the central defensive trio of Rowe, Grose and Bullock stood firm, and the only really nervous moment came when Palmer's cross-shot flew just over. Shortly after Wayne Quinn was booked for dissent, substitute Nicholls went close before, at the death, Nicholls' centre resulted in a collision between James and Mooney, providing the grateful Adam Holland with a simple tap-in.

Foxhole (3-5-2): Ryan Holland 7; Jamie Bullock 7 (sub. Colin Morris 6), David Grose 7, Mark Rowe 7; Jason Warne 6, Martin Giles 7, Adam Bromley 6, Jeff Dillon 6, Adam Holland 7; Scott Hill 6 (sub. Liam Nicholls 6), Carl Rickard 7 (sub. Steve Panter 6).

Hayle (3-5-2): Andy James; Rob Johns, Liam Quinn, Dean Mooney; Adam Palmer, Gary Matthews, Alan Roberts, Wayne Quinn, Matt Davies; Matt Thomas, Matt Shiels.

Referee: Mr Ashley Hockin (Kilkhampton) 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only 22 recorded attendance-I counted 40+ must have been all the Hayle committee and junior players whose game had been called off.

Credit to Ian Gregory on getting the pitch easily playable after last weeks mudbath.

It was my first game at a very green Trevassack Park for a competitive match

In a game spoilt by a strong crossfield wind the main difference in a closely contested encounter was the formidable defence of the visitors who stifled the Hayle forwards.

There seems a lot of young referees about and the 21 year old Ashley Hocking from North Cornwall(Read his profile in the Sunday Independant) had a very confident game.

Had a brief greeting with Graham Nicholls the former Newquay and Falmouth striker from the early 1980's(the latter Western League era)

who appeared to be part of the Foxhole management and I guess it was his son Liam who came on as substitute.

It was good to see the Hayle club progress into a Senior club after many years in a nomadic junior setup.

I think I spotted a purposeful Darin Morse walk by with his clipboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...