Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL restructure

59 minutes ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

With the possibility of two Cornish clubs having to play in the Devon league next season how will the decision be made. I cannot imagine any of them wanting this. 

Which 2 clubs do you mean?

Will probably be Launceston and maybe Calllington. Saltash, Torpoint and Millbrook will probably all stay in the West due to their proximity to each other. The east division will be significantly weaker with no Parkway, Argyle, Exmouth or Tavi. Both Exmouth and Tavi on course to go up, thanks to rule change. However being in east would give a club a better chance to win something and maybe look at promotion. Launceston are geographically better situated than any other Cornish club in this regards, just off a30, near the border. This might be a real opportunity for them. 

It’s not a Cornwall/Devon split but east and west. The east division could feasibly have Somerset based teams in it. If fact there may well be a gradual eastwards drift of both divisions as Western 1 currently covers a bigger area, which may be balanced out in time to create 3 equal divisions. From what I have been told Saltash and Torpoint will be in the West division as they are close to a lot of other Cornish teams and one of the aims is to reduce travel. The new east division does not look particularly glamorous, not should it be. These are meant to be feeder leagues. However the likes of Elmore, Cullonpton etc, will now have a pathway opened up.

1 hour ago, teflon123 said:

Can they force teams to go over to the east league from the Cornwall side??

The two closest teams to Devon have to be Saltash and Torpoint if any teams get pushed??

As has been already said - it’s east and west in contrast to Cornwall and Devon.

The clubs will pretty much have to go where designated. For the clubs based along the border, it’s always going to be an issue. No different really to the likes of Plymstock, Holsworthy etc in the D1W at the moment.

14 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

Will probably be Launceston and maybe Calllington. Saltash, Torpoint and Millbrook will probably all stay in the West due to their proximity to each other. The east division will be significantly weaker with no Parkway, Argyle, Exmouth or Tavi. Both Exmouth and Tavi on course to go up, thanks to rule change. However being in east would give a club a better chance to win something and maybe look at promotion. Launceston are geographically better situated than any other Cornish club in this regards, just off a30, near the border. This might be a real opportunity for them. 

You say  Saltash and Torpoint are close proximity to a lot of other clubs.  But if you look at Callington and Launceston, they (Callington in particular) have Saltash, Torpoint, Millbrook, Liskeard, Bodmin, Dobwalls all within 30/35 mins of their grounds.  If there were 22 candidates for West and 18 for East then surely the best thing to do would be to accept 2 less into the West.  Most likely the lowest placed 2 in the current West division rather than forcing 2 teams into a league that would dramatically increase their travel.  Then with the East division, either promote an additional 2 or keep it at 18 with no relegation for the first season and promote from 2 feeders next season.

Purely my tuppence worth.  Just seems bonkers to an old timer like me.

I agree. 20 in the west 18 in the East. Why should teams with a long History of step 6 football be shunted across to an East league to cater for teams applying from step 7. Madness. The league and the Fa will argue the the border for East and West is not set in stone and can even see clubs from Somerset join the league.  So Launceston versus Minehwad should save on travelling

From the league:

Firstly can I start by saying I am sending this to all clubs along the Devon & Cornwall border (both sides) and this is for INFORMATION ONLY at this stage.

You may well be aware that the re-structure of the South West football leagues will see Two Step 6 Divisions next season – SWP Premier East & SWP Premier West (as well as 3 new Step 7 Divisions, 1 in Cornwall and 2 in Devon)

At Step 6 and above the allocation of clubs to leagues and divisions is governed by the FA at Wembley through the Leagues Committee and the National League System Regulations, these regulations cover LATERAL MOVEMENT and this is in affect the seasonal distribution of clubs, in our area this has always applied at Step 7 but has not previously applied at Step 6 (it is nothing new) – What has changed is that Step 7 will be on County lines next season (but even in Devon the 2 Divisions may well have lateral movement) whilst it is now an issue at Step 6.

I am writing to let you know that a mapping exercise has started (but not finished) to determine the make up of East & West for next season, it cannot be finished until the 40 clubs have all been ratified for membership, until then the best we can produce is a “DRAFT” which is currently being studied by the FA and which we are looking to publish soon (a meeting of the JLC on Friday 12th will occur before anything is published).

The mapping exercise will take into account the need for an even numerical split, we will then look at the travelling of the clubs involved and the location of neighbouring clubs to retain local derbies. We would also ensure a club in 1 Division does not drive past a club in another division to play a league fixture. The geography of our area and the mapping on any level shows a large number of clubs either side of the Tamar valley, I have to say that some of these clubs will be East and some will be West, what the mapping will do is consider the fairest way to achieve this. 

Clubs are reminded that your allocation is appealable only to the FA in London and only where you can prove that the process is an obvious error, an appeal based purely on you being placed in the division you do not wish to be in will not succeed. Clubs are also reminded that this mapping exercise will be conducted each year taking into account promotion, relegation and withdrawals, you may find your allocation this season is changed (either to what you would or would not want) so it is worth remembering this for future seasons.

Finally, I have seen a suggestion that we refuse promotion to clubs in either County to avoid either County having more than 20 clubs, this would not be acceptable as any clubs missing out on promotion to step 6 purely to keep the split even would most certainly win an appeal against the refusal of promotion.”

So that pretty much say's to me that it will be Callington and Launceston.  Keep the local derbies and quick trip up the A30 to get into Devon.  Can't see either of those 2 clubs being happy at all with that. 

That said, based on the assumption above that Callington and Launceston are the 2.

What a load of drivel!! These are not County leagues!!! They are part of the football pyramid, which step from step 6 above no longer has set boundaries. If Cornish clubs want a county league, than by all means go and form one but accept that there will be no Fa cup or Fa vase. Clubs in the past have been shunted between swpl east and west. This is no different. Either be part of the pyramid or don’t. Launceston are bang on the a30. Travel will be minimal for them whatever league they are in. There was always going to be more Cornish clubs at step 6, due to Devonian clubs taking promotion!!

5 hours ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

I agree. 20 in the west 18 in the East. Why should teams with a long History of step 6 football be shunted across to an East league to cater for teams applying from step 7. Madness. The league and the Fa will argue the the border for East and West is not set in stone and can even see clubs from Somerset join the league.  So Launceston versus Minehwad should save on travelling

Isn't it 19 in the west after Illogan withdrew their application as the players didn't fancy it.  And I  don't think Minehead would be able.  The Somerset bit refers mainly to Chard and Wellington and/or their reserve sides.

2 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

What a load of drivel!! These are not County leagues!!! They are part of the football pyramid, which step from step 6 above no longer has set boundaries. If Cornish clubs want a county league, than by all means go and form one but accept that there will be no Fa cup or Fa vase. Clubs in the past have been shunted between swpl east and west. This is no different. Either be part of the pyramid or don’t. Launceston are bang on the a30. Travel will be minimal for them whatever league they are in. There was always going to be more Cornish clubs at step 6, due to Devonian clubs taking promotion!!

2 hours ago, Rob1978 said:

The fa cup and vase are a waste of time and money at this level of football and in this part of the country.

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

From the league:

Firstly can I start by saying I am sending this to all clubs along the Devon & Cornwall border (both sides) and this is for INFORMATION ONLY at this stage.

You may well be aware that the re-structure of the South West football leagues will see Two Step 6 Divisions next season – SWP Premier East & SWP Premier West (as well as 3 new Step 7 Divisions, 1 in Cornwall and 2 in Devon)

At Step 6 and above the allocation of clubs to leagues and divisions is governed by the FA at Wembley through the Leagues Committee and the National League System Regulations, these regulations cover LATERAL MOVEMENT and this is in affect the seasonal distribution of clubs, in our area this has always applied at Step 7 but has not previously applied at Step 6 (it is nothing new) – What has changed is that Step 7 will be on County lines next season (but even in Devon the 2 Divisions may well have lateral movement) whilst it is now an issue at Step 6.

I am writing to let you know that a mapping exercise has started (but not finished) to determine the make up of East & West for next season, it cannot be finished until the 40 clubs have all been ratified for membership, until then the best we can produce is a “DRAFT” which is currently being studied by the FA and which we are looking to publish soon (a meeting of the JLC on Friday 12th will occur before anything is published).

The mapping exercise will take into account the need for an even numerical split, we will then look at the travelling of the clubs involved and the location of neighbouring clubs to retain local derbies. We would also ensure a club in 1 Division does not drive past a club in another division to play a league fixture. The geography of our area and the mapping on any level shows a large number of clubs either side of the Tamar valley, I have to say that some of these clubs will be East and some will be West, what the mapping will do is consider the fairest way to achieve this. 

Clubs are reminded that your allocation is appealable only to the FA in London and only where you can prove that the process is an obvious error, an appeal based purely on you being placed in the division you do not wish to be in will not succeed. Clubs are also reminded that this mapping exercise will be conducted each year taking into account promotion, relegation and withdrawals, you may find your allocation this season is changed (either to what you would or would not want) so it is worth remembering this for future seasons.

Finally, I have seen a suggestion that we refuse promotion to clubs in either County to avoid either County having more than 20 clubs, this would not be acceptable as any clubs missing out on promotion to step 6 purely to keep the split even would most certainly win an appeal against the refusal of promotion.”

What a dictatorial statement, typical fa terminology!

33 minutes ago, Fanfare said:

Isn't it 19 in the west after Illogan withdrew their application as the players didn't fancy it.  And I  don't think Minehead would be able.  The Somerset bit refers mainly to Chard and Wellington and/or their reserve sides.

Illogan withdrew from the St Piran application process so this will have no impact on Peninsula numbers.  There will still be 22 (unless Phil H knows different) Cornish applicants for 20 "Cornwall Division" places.

53 minutes ago, Fanfare said:

Illogan weren’t going for the peninsula next season

5 hours ago, secretscout said:

So that pretty much say's to me that it will be Callington and Launceston.  Keep the local derbies and quick trip up the A30 to get into Devon.  Can't see either of those 2 clubs being happy at all with that. 

That said, based on the assumption above that Callington and Launceston are the 2.

One of those two clubs mentioned has already indicated that it wants to be in the East Division. I won't say who.

23 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Minus travelling expenses, loss of earnings to the individuals and any overnight accommodation!

It is swings and roundabouts. If you are the away team, and you win. As well as the prize money your travel is also paid for. But it can work bad if you lose at Home. But it’s the taking part that counts. 

Next season there will be three step 6 leagues below the Western league. The new swp leagues will each cover a smaller area geographically than western division 1. It would therefore be fair to assume that over time both leagues will possibly move eastwards to balance this out. 

4 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Illogan withdrew from the St Piran application process so this will have no impact on Peninsula numbers.  There will still be 22 (unless Phil H knows different) Cornish applicants for 20 "Cornwall Division" places.

1 hour ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

West not Cornwall 

That's what speech marks are for😉

On 09/04/2019 at 17:01, BIG AL said:

The fa cup and vase are a waste of time and money at this level of football and in this part of the country.

What a dictatorial statement, typical fa terminology!

what a stupid thing to say.

Sure recent successful Vase sides like Torpoint (vase quarter finalists) and St Austell (semi-finalists) would have something to say about that, not to mention Tavi who went through a few rounds in the FA Cup last year. the clubs would have made a healthy profit from that, but i believe more so it is for the whole club that make those days special. New teams to play, new grounds, cup atmosphere. 

Give me a good Vase and FA Cup day anytime.

29 minutes ago, Henning Berg said:

what a stupid thing to say.

Sure recent successful Vase sides like Torpoint (vase quarter finalists) and St Austell (semi-finalists) would have something to say about that, not to mention Tavi who went through a few rounds in the FA Cup last year. the clubs would have made a healthy profit from that, but i believe more so it is for the whole club that make those days special. New teams to play, new grounds, cup atmosphere. 

Give me a good Vase and FA Cup day anytime.

But no chance of progressing to meet a well known team.

On 11/04/2019 at 12:39, BIG AL said:

But no chance of progressing to meet a well known team.

Ahh okay then let's just get rid of all preliminary rounds of the fa cup and just start it in the first round proper with the league teams in then yeah. Bin off the Vase completely while you're at it too, no well known teams enter that either.

10 minutes ago, Henning Berg said:

Ahh okay then let's just get rid of all preliminary rounds of the fa cup and just start it in the first round proper with the league teams in then yeah. Bin off the Vase completely while you're at it too, no well known teams enter that either.

A rather touchy reaction I must say!

19 hours ago, BIG AL said:

A rather touchy reaction I must say!

Not being touchy Big Al - just don't understand your reasoning for not supporting competitions that give genuinely brilliant match-ups and money making chances for some of our clubs. Surely recent years success in both comps gives you an indication that it is in fact worth SWPL clubs effort in giving these games a go.