Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Tuesday 9 April 2019

1 hour ago, Fanfare said:

Credit to the 13 players who played. And kept a clean sheet too!

I make it 5 regulars out -another clean sheet for reserve keeper Harry McMellon and Westy plays for whole game-First start forFraser Harris-How old is Tom Barwell ?

A good result for a 150 mile round trip for an evening fixture-Three Home fixtures to play and a possibility of 6th.spot.

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

I make it 5 regulars out -another clean sheet for reserve keeper Harry McMellon and Westy plays for whole game-First start forFraser Harris-How old is Tom Barwell ?

A good result for a 150 mile round trip for an evening fixture-Three Home fixtures to play and a possibility of 6th.spot.

Tom Barwell is 36.

Great night at Kimberley Stadium last night and a both teams a credit to the Peninsula League.

Prior to the game, between 20-25 young kids accompanied both teams on to the pitch as mascots and a minutes silence was held in memory of the poppy memorial remembrance.

It was a game in which Saltash dominated for long periods but were found to be up against a tough robust Callington side who well reasonably well drilled.

Saltash opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Edwards smartly volleyed home from 18 yards.

Callington then equallised on 25 minutes courtesy of a thunderbolt from their Striker from all of 25 yards which the Saltash GK maybe should have done better with.

It didn’t take long for Saltash to regain the lead when Farrant drilled home from 12 yards.

The second half was a little end with both teams chasing important goals, Saltash sealed the win on 81 minutes when a deflected shot from Hughes went in from 6 yards.

Both teams deserve credit in a game that had some high quality football and showed no signs of that end of season feel.

3 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Great night at Kimberley Stadium last night and a both teams a credit to the Peninsula League.

Prior to the game, between 20-25 young kids accompanied both teams on to the pitch as mascots and a minutes silence was held in memory of the poppy memorial remembrance.

It was a game in which Saltash dominated for long periods but were found to be up against a tough robust Callington side who well reasonably well drilled.

Saltash opened the scoring on 20 minutes when Edwards smartly volleyed home from 18 yards.

Callington then equallised on 25 minutes courtesy of a thunderbolt from their Striker from all of 25 yards which the Saltash GK maybe should have done better with.

It didn’t take long for Saltash to regain the lead when Farrant drilled home from 12 yards.

The second half was a little end with both teams chasing important goals, Saltash sealed the win on 81 minutes when a deflected shot from Hughes went in from 6 yards.

Both teams deserve credit in a game that had some high quality football and showed no signs of that end of season feel.

You missed out the penalty save from Sam Borthwick, harshly given for a foul by him when the attacker "left his leg in" and went down under the challenge.. 

22 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Surely teams in the peninsula must be looking at Harry mcmellon his record in the games he’s played speaks for itself. Also he’s actually better than the town number 1 

22 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Agreed, really well contested game and lovely atmosphere at Kimberley on Tuesday. Would be great to see more of that, more often with the youngsters.

Some great goals particularly Saltash's 1st and 2nd, but I thought one of the MOMs of the evening was the Callington centre back, not sure of his name as I've not seen him play before. Marshaled one of the best strikers in the league in Sam Hughes really well for most of the evening and looked calm and assured on the ball. What's his name Middle Man?

7 hours ago, Henning Berg said:

Agreed, really well contested game and lovely atmosphere at Kimberley on Tuesday. Would be great to see more of that, more often with the youngsters.

Some great goals particularly Saltash's 1st and 2nd, but I thought one of the MOMs of the evening was the Callington centre back, not sure of his name as I've not seen him play before. Marshaled one of the best strikers in the league in Sam Hughes really well for most of the evening and looked calm and assured on the ball. What's his name Middle Man?

I'm not sure I should pubicise his name on here.... Suffice to say for a 17 yr old he is having an excellent season for us🙊

14 hours ago, Henning Berg said:

Second that, easily MOM.

For a 17 year old (if correct) to mark Sam Hughes as he did was extremely impressive.

Callington seem to be giving youth a chance as the goal scorer I believe was only 17 to and there seemed to be 2 or 3 other very young players on the pitch which is great to see. 

Watched Helston the other night and they seem to have a youth policy in place which is very admirable at this level and think the Managers of these teams deserve credit for giving them a chance.

6 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Second that, easily MOM.

For a 17 year old (if correct) to mark Sam Hughes as he did was extremely impressive.

Callington seem to be giving youth a chance as the goal scorer I believe was only 17 to and there seemed to be 2 or 3 other very young players on the pitch which is great to see. 

Watched Helston the other night and they seem to have a youth policy in place which is very admirable at this level and think the Managers of these teams deserve credit for giving them a chance.

Should be a good game at Falmouth.