Cornwall Football Forum

very quiet on forum

I think this season has been one just to pass time until the new structure comes in. Weve got divisions short on teams while others are full. It feels like everyone is waiting to start next season already once we know exactly what is happening. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I think this season has been one just to pass time until the new structure comes in. Weve got divisions short on teams while others are full. It feels like everyone is waiting to start next season already once we know exactly what is happening. 

I'm not waiting for next season...I'm waiting for this one to finish! 

Have a bit of a rest.

On 08/04/2019 at 21:44, Paul said:

Feels a bit like that, almost as if this season should have an asterisk alongside it in the record books. The first half of the season felt like it was all about the exploits of the Cornish sides in the Vase with the successes of St Austell, Falmouth and Saltash providing plenty of traffic. Wonder if none of these teams subsequently seriously competing for the SWPL title has taken the edge off. 

While it may be true for some, surely it's a massive generalisation to say everybody is just playing out the season, can't wait till next season, just passing time etc etc. It's easy to knock local footballers but most provide lots of entertainment and generally do their best for their club. Lots of them may well get paid but far, far more don't; on the contrary, they pay match fees. Many teams (not just the one I support) have lots still to play for and no doubt there will still be twists and turns, triumphs and disappointments. 

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

The forum is merely a reflection of today's society.

No one is allowed to say anything anymore in case you upset some poor little soul...snowflakes comes to mind.

Take it, deal with it, get over it....sticks and stones..all of it.

I agree. Freedom of Speech. In the words of Evelyn Beatrice Hall - 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.'

19 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

I agree. Freedom of Speech. In the words of Evelyn Beatrice Hall - 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.'

A lot of what goes on today I do not like or agree with, they have the right to be,and do what they like (within acceptable limits)

But I also have the right to say I don't like it...that is what they cannot handle.

35 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Jumpers for goal posts that takes me back. 20 aside blimey, half the time we barely had eleven. Played many games with eight or nine - but thoroughly enjoyed every minute and went home filthy dirty - ha ha ! :)

Haha, we were 20 aside for the first half in the morning, same again in the afternoon,  then the last half in the evening until dark!

When we reached 15 we entered the league and could not wait to do so.

That desire to play league footy has been taken away,  they've already had 10 years of organised football.

You hit the nail on the head there Keith. Distraction.

Today there is so much more to do today, can't blame the kids as we never had those options.

A lot of pressures on the youngsters of today, I always say to them about the inventions in my lifetime,  they are gobsmacked at what we never had.

Here's 3...the refrigerator, the jetliner and the TV, make that 4...the mobile phone.

All amazing when they came out!

I too fondly remember those halcyon days as an seven year old playing 15 a side with much older boys. In one game I actually got to touch the ball when the size five caser ricochetted inadvertently into my face. Nobody ever passed to me and I was far too small to tackle the teenagers but just being there made me what I am today and definitely helped develop my footballing skills in much the same way as walking around my big brother's snooker table greatly improved my potting ability. And the full-sized goal posts we used were a real boon to my confidence as I loved being shoved between the sticks too, content in the knowledge that, within only a matter of ten short years or so, I may actually be able to reach some of the shots. 

Ah, the standard was so much better back then too! How else can you explain Stanley Matthews still playing at 50? And you only have to look at England's fantastic record in the World Cup over the years to see that the current penchant for smaller pitches, smaller goals, smaller balls and playing with and against your peers is deeply misguided.

In my opinion the children today can be coached to death from a young age, was talking to a coach this weekend and he told me that the u7s team they were playing against had 2 boys at the Argyle academy where are those boys getting their freedom to learn by mistakes, they will be judged on performance and results. 6 yearsold