Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League Cup Semi-final Result - Today 10th Match 2019

12 minutes ago, Spectator92 said:

Great result for the saints, seeing they went 1-0 down before half time and then come out stronger in the second half and scoring 3 goals. Onto what’s going to be a great final with illogan vs st day

Lets take one guess where it will be held.....porthleven ? 

Vidal will be able to get the pitch ready for the final even if he cant stop the water for league games...... 

Three quid to get in! Bit of a chunk out of my pension!

Not a brilliant game of football but the right result in the end, though Saint's inability to capitalise on the wind, sun and slope all in their favour in the 1st half might have cost them dear. Wendron's goal on 43 minutes was well against the run of play - had they been 2 or 3 down by then, they couldn't have complained, but they had defended well whilst Saints blustered and threatened - a physical side when all's said and done. Then with Wendron having the 2nd half advantage of the elements and topography they might just have held on but Saints equalised on the hour and it began to look like my £3 would be buying extra time - but it's a funny old game as an ex-Chelsea player famously said (I think he played a bit for some other London side later in his career) and Saints scored in 90+2 - a rather majestic looping far-post header off a corner; and there was always time for another goal, but sadly for Wendron it went to the Saints on 90+4.

Final to be at Port so Gerald Searle told me, Easter Sunday? He also told me about the proposed change to the handball rule for next season: should be fun being a defender - automatic penalty if the ball so much as touches the arm or hand in the penalty area - no self-defence, no ball-to-hand: easier for the ref but hardly fair.

1 hour ago, Tom Trust said:

He also told me about the proposed change to the handball rule for next season: should be fun being a defender - automatic penalty if the ball so much as touches the arm or hand in the penalty area - no self-defence, no ball-to-hand: easier for the ref but hardly fair.

The obvious exploit being to aim the ball at defender's hands any time you're in the box (and shooting isn't preferable to winning a penalty). We could rename the game maybe? Trytoflickballtohandinboxball has a ring to it 🤓

Great report, Tom. 

Firstly I'd like to thank Illogan for being fantastic hosts, who put on a decent post match spread, and the officials who managed the game very well. 

All credit to Wendron who did their club proud, soaking up lots of pressure and making us work hard for the result. 

As for the saints, I could not be prouder of the lads, they all put in a real shift, showing great character and a never say die attitude, as we clinched it dramatically in injury time. 

We now look forward to what promises to be a cracking local derby, against Illogan on easter Sunday 

Thanks to Illogan - great hosts, and the match was very well officiated by Mr Knowles. 

Congratuations to St Day - deserved it, really took the game to us and didn’t afford us any time. Dissapointed that we never really got going but full credit  St Day, played with real aggression (in the best possible way) and desire. 

Disagree that we soaked up lots of pressure, despite St Day having more of the ball I felt we were comfortable and both goalkeepers had about the same to do. 

Difference was Oliver in the St Day midfield who grabbed the game by the scruff, won everything and took his goals brilliantly. Gutted to have lost it  the 92nd minute.

Good learning curve for us. 

Best of luck to both Joff and St Day and to Mikey and Illogan in the final. 

Josh

I don't think it was the best game conditions levelled it up. St day had the lions share of possession but tried to walk it in the goal in the first half. wendron held firm and nicked a goal on a rare attack and st day bossed the second half. will be a good final