Cornwall Football Forum

Darren Moore

It just goes to show that unfortunately, football is no longer a sport. When you have a club sitting 4th in the league, still in with a very good chance of getting promotion, decides to sack their manager. I’m afraid football is now a business & the the only thing that matters is owners increasing their bulging bank balance. 

Oh for the days when football was a sport. 😔😔😔 

Totally agree Kev, absolute madness mate!! He almost kept them in the Premier league last season as well! Played against him a couple times when he was at Torquay, massive unit but really nice bloke with it. Disgraceful decision made by business people not football people, joke   😳😦🤔

In the past there was a benchmark for common sense . It was based on " what the man on the back seat of a Clapham omnibus would regard as acceptable " ( or something similar) .It seems that in many , many situations this has gone out of the window . In the case of professional football the man left the omnibus several years ago  , roughly about the time when television took over football . Just as an example , this weekend Manchester United play Wolves at Molineux  at 8.05 pm . If this game goes to extra time and penalties there will be no train service to Manchester at that time . The same applies to Manchester City  fans in their game What a ridiculous situation , brought about by television coverage . Personally , fingers crossed , Wolves will win in normal time and me and several thousand Wolves fans will be happy and the travel problem won't arise .

In the Darren Moore case , however you juggle figures , mathematically only one team can win a division  and only two other  teams can be promoted . Equally three teams will finish in the bottom three relegation places , no matter how good or bad they are . All the other teams will remain in the division until next season when it all starts again with fresh dreams etc. .Amidst all this , thousands of fans pay to watch their team and be entertained  by both teams on the pitch  and hope and pray that in May their team will be top of the pile .The hard core will be there next season whatever happened the previous season  and begin to dream again . WBA  are well up in the Championship and are in with a good chance of the play offs ,but they aren't at the top so the owners decide , at a crucial part of the season , to sack the manager . To my mind , it shows a complete lack of knowledge of the game , and smacks of greed . The man on the  Clapham omnibus  would know that any change of manager  in that situation is a potential banana skin . He's got to analyse the players , sort out the wheat from the chaff in under 10 games ,I read a post somewhere  where someone said that " once you get away from the terraces football stinks " how very true .

Finally , digressing from the subject, I wasn't too impressed by the Chelsea managers comments following the Wolves game on Sunday . Although I'm a Wolves supporter I suppose Chelsea are my second favourites so I'm not totally biased , however I thought that to say that Wolves weren't organised and didn't want to play was unsporting and ungracious . What a complete contrast to Nuno who is always humble and respectful to the opposition  ( except for the blip at Cardiff last year ) . As one of my heroes W.C. Fields would have said " the Chelsea manager isn't likely to make you bust a gut laughing " .