Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum
Sign in to follow this  
inflikted

Kernow to take part in Atlantic Heritage Cup (ConIFA World Cup Qualifier) in June

Recommended Posts

Hosted by Yorkshire, featuring the hosts, Kernow, Ellan Vannin and Parishes of Jersey. Winners will get automatic qualification to the 2020 ConIFA World Football Cup in Somaliland, although other chances may come if plenty of friendlies are played a qualifying points rack up with every game played that's recognised by ConIFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Well, this bandwagon is certainly picking up some speed!

Methinks ‘twill take some considerable restructuring betwixt now and June if we’re going to be serious contenders.

If the games get more regular I'm gonna wonder if a Kernow National Team subforum may be in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great news, hopefully the people of Cornwall will get behind this. Playing the fixture in June should mean that there will be a greater availability of players, would be interesting to hear if Cornish born players in the Western League, Conference South and beyond have been reached out to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of fixtures in May:

13/05: vs St Dennis AFC, @Priory Park, Bodmin. 19:30 KO

25/05: vs Barawa (2018 ConIFA World Cup hosts), @Treyew Road, Truro. 15:00 KO

31/05 - 02/06: Atlantic Heritage Cup vs Yorkshire, Ellan Vannin and Parishes of Jersey @Yorkshire. Venues and times TBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2019 at 00:12, inflikted said:

25/05: vs Barawa (2018 ConIFA World Cup hosts), @Treyew Road, Truro. 15:00 KO

Presumably the showers are going to be sorted before this game takes place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squad for tomorrow's game against St Dennis. More readable version below with all the info I could find (therefore there's a bunch of info gaps and some of it may be wrong):

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Goals Club
  GK Jason Chapman   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  GK Barrie Wyatt   1 0 Cornwall Helston Athletic

  DF Tom Chambers (captain)   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  DF Tom Whipp   1 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  DF Ed Timmons   0 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  DF Jake Ash   0 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  DF Dylan Peel   0 0 Cornwall Liskeard Athletic
  DF Jack Podmore   0 0 Cornwall Liskeard Athletic
  DF James Ward   0 0 Cornwall Falmouth Town

  MF Olly Brokenshire   1 1 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  MF Tom Harris   1 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  MF Neil Slateford   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  MF Max Gilbert   1 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town

  FW Liam Eddy   1 1 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  FW James Lorenz   1 0 Cornwall Liskeard Athletic
  FW Mark Goldsworthy   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  FW Jordan Annear 20 August 1996 (age 22) 0 0 England Plymouth Parkway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2019 at 15:09, Dave Deacon said:

Presumably the showers are going to be sorted before this game takes place?

That game's been moved, will be played in Bodmin instead. Also worth sharing this, it's the fixture list for the Atlantic Heritage Cup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, inflikted said:

Squad for tomorrow's game against St Dennis. More readable version below with all the info I could find (therefore there's a bunch of info gaps and some of it may be wrong):

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Goals Club
  GK Jason Chapman   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  GK Barrie Wyatt   1 0 Cornwall Helston Athletic

  DF Tom Chambers (captain)   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  DF Tom Whipp   1 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  DF Ed Timmons   0 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  DF Jake Ash   0 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  DF Dylan Peel   0 0 Cornwall Liskeard Athletic
  DF Jack Podmore   0 0 Cornwall Liskeard Athletic
  DF James Ward   0 0 Cornwall Falmouth Town

  MF Olly Brokenshire   1 1 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  MF Tom Harris   1 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town
  MF Neil Slateford   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  MF Max Gilbert   1 0 Cornwall Bodmin Town

  FW Liam Eddy   1 1 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  FW James Lorenz   1 0 Cornwall Liskeard Athletic
  FW Mark Goldsworthy   1 0 Cornwall AFC St Austell
  FW Jordan Annear 20 August 1996 (age 22) 0 0 England Plymouth Parkway

Got a very Bodmin/St Austell look to the squad. And, with the exception of Jordan Annear, nobody from outside the Peninsula League. Were players from the Western League,Southern League or Conference South approached?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure who's reffing tonight but it will be live streamed:

This guy is the manager of Kernow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Wright_(footballer,_born_1968)

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Got a very Bodmin/St Austell look to the squad. And, with the exception of Jordan Annear, nobody from outside the Peninsula League. Were players from the Western League,Southern League or Conference South approached?

May just be the players that were available as the season just ended. I think I heard they were looking at higher level players for the Atlantic Heritage Cup though, as it's a World Cup qualifier. Jersey are trying to get Peter Vincenti of Macclesfield to accept a callup and Yorkshire had players from FC United in their latest squad so Kernow had better be looking for a higher standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems again like a poor side.  Made up of players from 5th and 9th best in the SWPL this season and a handful from the SWPL West Division.  Without knowing the ins and outs of birth locations for all the players in Cornwall and whether or not they have been asked, but surely Falmouth and Saltash players should be involved in this along with any from Tavistock that are eligible given they have been the better sides this year?  Arguably the worst bodmin side for years still manages to provide 5 players! Again, I stress this without knowing who has been asked and who is eligible, however, it seems very much a mates of mates team rather than the best that Kernow has to offer!  Bit of a mockery really. Be interested to see the list of eligible players in SWPL and above......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just checked for news from Jersey and their preliminary squad is out. No Vincenti which is good news for the other teams:

Caps and goals correct as of 21 October 2018 after the game against 23px-FlagOfYorkshire.svg.png Yorkshire.

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Goals Club
  GK Euan van der Vliet 11 August 1996 (age 22) 1 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  GK Daniel Birrell   0 0 Jersey Jersey Wanderers

  DF Harry Curtis   1 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  DF Jack Cannon 17 February 1987 (age 32) 1 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  DF Luke Campbell 4 May 1989 (age 30) 1 0 Jersey St. Peter
  DF Michael Weir 18 February 1991 (age 28) 1 0 Jersey St. Paul's

  MF Jack Boyle (captain) 9 July 1990 (age 28) 1 1 Jersey St. Paul's
  MF Luke Watson   1 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  MF Zeljko Martinovic   1 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  MF Jay Giles   0 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  MF Tom Harris   0 0 Jersey St. Clement

  FW Adam Trotter   1 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  FW Karl Hinds   1 0 Jersey Trinity
  FW Kieran Lester   0 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  FW Jake Prince   0 0 Jersey St. Paul's
  FW Sol Solomon   0 0 Jersey St. Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two keepers listed in the squad, and the one who starts wasn't even on the list.

Cornish anthem didn't play, no team lineups or officials read out.

Is this really the best Kernow can muster? Guess I won't bother with the trip to Yorkshire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently 1-0, a goal in the 4th minute by Goldsworthy.

4 minutes ago, Whistle Blower said:

Two keepers listed in the squad, and the one who starts wasn't even on the list.

Cornish anthem didn't play, no team lineups or officials read out.

Is this really the best Kernow can muster? Guess I won't bother with the trip to Yorkshire.

I do think they need to get some advice from someone who knows how to run CONIFA football events. Maybe someone from the Yorks IFA, Manx IFA or even Panjab or Barawa (maybe even Surrey, who aren't even affiliated to CONIFA as they don't meet the requirements). Those guys have a lot more experience with arranging this and can offer some advice to the Kernow FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HT Kernow 1-0 St Dennis

'4 Goldsworthy

There was a first half substitution but I'm not sure who it was who came on as I have no clue as to squad numbers.

It's worth mentioning that Sardinia withdrew from the 2019 European Championship in Artsakh, and Kernow were originally down as the reserve team. But because the Atlantic Heritage Cup is happening as the Euros start, I think it's unlikely that Kernow will take that place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Whistle Blower said:

Very underwhelming night. Convincing win in the end but there was no urgency or real drive.

If Darren Wright is the manager, who was the Darren Gilbert lookalike making the substitutions.

I dunno, officially it's Wright but Gilbert is also part of the coaching staff.

EDIT: OK in the friendlies, it's been said by the KFA that Gilbert and Phil Lafferty are co-managers, with Wright and Andrew Graham as coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comprehensive win I’d say is to strong. We played ok and had our chances just lack of quality in front of goal. Fitness made the difference in the end last 15 mins, but we now learn going into a new league so only good things I guess. Nice to play against good players to see your level. We will learn though 🙂 💙

Braggy picked the match officials I guess 😂. Lovely chaps but not good enough I’m afraid. That’s not a slate but sometimes it feels like pull in who we can 🤷🏼‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid I have no idea. I'm expecting Raymond Mashamba to be an official at the AHC though due to his CONIFA links (having been a ref at the 2018 World Cup) and he was a linesman in Yorkshire's 6-2 win over Somaliland. He originally came over from Zimbabwe as one of their emerging refs but claimed asylum after being outed as a homosexual in a Zimbabwean newspaper and having his life threatened. By all accounts he's a good ref too. First in the world to issue a green card.

Regarding how I think the AHC will go, it's a tough one to call. Yorkshire have looked very good lately and are hosting. But they have already lost to Parishes of Jersey who have a pretty strong domestic league - however their players may be fatigued from playing a tournament this month, then the AHC, then the Inter Games Tournament which is a replacement for the Island Games. Ellan Vannin have a similar problem but aren't playing in the May tournament. They are former World Football Cup finalists so can't be under-estimated. If they can get Seamus Sharkey from Glenavon involved, as well as Nashville SC midfielder Liam Doyle involved then they'll have a pro presence which will aid them a lot. If Kernow can get players from higher up the pyramid involved then they could be a dark horse otherwise they are the weakest of the 4 sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:21, Mick Throbsaw said:

Seems again like a poor side.  Made up of players from 5th and 9th best in the SWPL this season and a handful from the SWPL West Division.  Without knowing the ins and outs of birth locations for all the players in Cornwall and whether or not they have been asked, but surely Falmouth and Saltash players should be involved in this along with any from Tavistock that are eligible given they have been the better sides this year?  Arguably the worst bodmin side for years still manages to provide 5 players! Again, I stress this without knowing who has been asked and who is eligible, however, it seems very much a mates of mates team rather than the best that Kernow has to offer!  Bit of a mockery really. Be interested to see the list of eligible players in SWPL and above......

Off the top of my head (Conference South/Western League)

Billy Palfrey (Truro)

Ryan Lane (Parkway)

Jamie Lowry (Parkway)

Ryan Dickson (Torquay)

Nick Hurst (ex Truro, now unattached I believe)

 

There is also a selection from the Premier League, Scottish Premier and Football League;

 

Max Smallcombe (Exeter)

Jack Stephens (Southampton)

Craig Alcock (Yeovil)

Isaac Vassell (Birmingham)

Christian Walton (Brighton)

Cody Cooke (St Mirren)

Scott Bennett (Newport)

No idea if these guys have been approached, or what the long term strategy is regarding selection. Would be disappointing though if the vision is to keep it as a Cornish based team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Off the top of my head (Conference South/Western League)

Billy Palfrey (Truro)

Ryan Lane (Parkway)

Jamie Lowry (Parkway)

Ryan Dickson (Torquay)

Nick Hurst (ex Truro, now unattached I believe)

 

There is also a selection from the Premier League, Scottish Premier and Football League;

 

Max Smallcombe (Exeter)

Jack Stephens (Southampton)

Craig Alcock (Yeovil)

Isaac Vassell (Birmingham)

Christian Walton (Brighton)

Cody Cooke (St Mirren)

Scott Bennett (Newport)

No idea if these guys have been approached, or what the long term strategy is regarding selection. Would be disappointing though if the vision is to keep it as a Cornish based team.

 

Getting the pros would require a lot more sponsorship so they could afford them. The highest Yorkshire have managed is National League North but they've needed over a year of gathering support for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Copp - Truro City (born in Saltash)

As far as I can remember there were a couple of full time pros in the World Cup, including some from the MLS, so there are clearly no rules against it, but in terms of insuring them and persuading clubs to release them, I can't see Kernow managing to secure any.

Truro City / Taunton Town will probably be the most high profile clubs that the side could be built from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GRTourist said:

Jordan Copp - Truro City (born in Saltash)

As far as I can remember there were a couple of full time pros in the World Cup, including some from the MLS, so there are clearly no rules against it, but in terms of insuring them and persuading clubs to release them, I can't see Kernow managing to secure any.

Truro City / Taunton Town will probably be the most high profile clubs that the side could be built from.

Yeah Barawa had Crawley's Aryan Tajbakhsh. Abkhazia had several pros from the Russian second tier (and one defender who played against Real Madrid in the Champions League). Turkey had Billy Mehmet, and Cascadia had James Riley (former MLS player) and Calum Ferguson (at the time playing for Elgin City but now in the new professional Canadian Premier League).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Pretty poor show from the KFA and Manx IFA to pull out less than 2 weeks before the tournament is meant to kick off, after people already bought tickets and stadiums booked at great expense to the Yorkshire International FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing as the Winners of the tournament to get automatic qualification to the 2020 ConIFA World Football Cup in Somaliland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a suggestion that, as designated reserve team, they may have been offered Sardinia's spot in Artsakh for this summer's Euros. But that's not been confirmed by anyone. Personally I think that's the only justifiable reason for pulling out of the AHC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Kernow have pulled out? Glad I didn't go ahead and book for the trip.

I guess people were right all along that this would never work.

Nearly seven days on, who were the match officials against St Dennis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...