Cornwall Football Forum

Grounds in Torpoint

It's well known to some that Torpoint Athletic played part of their life (up to the end 1970/71 I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong @The Windmill On The Shirt) at Defiance Field, the home of St Columba's Rugby Club before moving to/back to The Mill where they are now.

Other clubs, mostly of the now defunct junior status have played on various pitches in the area. Torpoint Athletic 3rds, Torpoint Comrades, Maker With Rame, Edgcumbe and Rame Peninsula to name a few.

Pitches used include:

HMS Raleigh

Trevol Road

Horson Field

Horson Straights

Maker Church

1. Is Horson Field the same as Horson Straights?

2. What's the name of the pitch beside or behind the leisure centre near the rugby club?

3. Was HMS Raleigh pitch behind the gates and was I.D. or names needed in advance (similar to Goonhilly or RAF Portreath)?

4. Where is the pitch at Maker?

Horson Field is Horson Straight (two pitches and  changing room/container - Council owned poorly maintained). The Pitch behind the Sports Centre is the schools (one of 3). The Rugby club is a bit further up. The Raleigh pitches are in fact opposite HMS Raleigh ( HMS Fisguard - MOD land maintained ish) and I believe they were once called Spicklefields or similar (derelict pavillion). See google maps. There was also a pitch down The Lawn. Antony do indeed have a pitch. Several of the above are not in action/maintained.

10 hours ago, Whistle Blower said:

It's well known to some that Torpoint Athletic played part of their life (up to the end 1970/71 I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong @The Windmill On The Shirt) at Defiance Field, the home of St Columba's Rugby Club before moving to/back to The Mill where they are now.

Other clubs, mostly of the now defunct junior status have played on various pitches in the area. Torpoint Athletic 3rds, Torpoint Comrades, Maker With Rame, Edgcumbe and Rame Peninsula to name a few.

Pitches used include:

HMS Raleigh

Trevol Road

Horson Field

Horson Straights

Maker Church

2. What's the name of the pitch beside or behind the leisure centre near the rugby club?

3. Was HMS Raleigh pitch behind the gates and was I.D. or names needed in advance (similar to Goonhilly or RAF Portreath)?

Maker also played behind the changing rooms of Millbrook FC and used to change in the tractor shed of Millbrook FC

7 hours ago, falselights said:

Horson Field is Horson Straight (two pitches and  changing room/container - Council owned poorly maintained). The Pitch behind the Sports Centre is the schools (one of 3). The Rugby club is a bit further up. The Raleigh pitches are in fact opposite HMS Raleigh ( HMS Fisguard - MOD land maintained ish) and I believe they were once called Spicklefields or similar (derelict pavillion). See google maps. There was also a pitch down The Lawn. Antony do indeed have a pitch. Several of the above are not in action/maintained.

Wilcove played at the Lawns and I remember playing there for Torpoint U16s in the mid 70s

2 hours ago, Brianmooreshead said:

Would the lawns be down in the village next to the river ?

Yes. There were still goalposts down there when I was a kid. 

Interestingly I also remembered that there are loads of pitches within the Raleigh complex. We used to be able to play on them as kids but security is much higher now. They also have astro ( newish but old stylee with sand) which is floodlit and used by the TAFC and TAYFC clubs. It is very exposed and windy. 

23 hours ago, hedgerow said:

I also remember playing at Antony. Top of the Hill on the left, also my lad played there as well. And that was not long ago 

Antony F C-yes up the hill and then left. Falmouth Town played there in Nov.1990 in a Cornwall Senior cup tie and after at the bottom of the hill for refreshments in the public house. I can remember from the ground looking across the Tamar and seeing the Argyle floodlights on playing against West Ham United that day.

My Falmouth records show the last visit to Defiance Field as season 1970-71 v Torpoint Ath. before moving to The Mill

Didn’t we win that one about 10-0 Mike!?! Seemed like the whole village was there at kick off calling us posers and big time Charlies etc etc but disappeared after 20 minutes when we were about 3-0 up!! Lashing down as well if I remember, pretty sure I scored my 50th goal for Town in 49 games that day? Think I had 4, can only remember George scoring a beauty that game? Pretty sure Tommy scored a header as well? Memory ain’t the best anymore Mike! Still recall loads of Falmouth games but that’s about it though!! Good days Mike 👍

On 03/03/2019 at 12:36, Whistle Blower said:

Pitches used include:

HMS Raleigh

Trevol Road

Horson Field

Horson Straights

Maker Church

Sorry for the late reply 

Horson Field/Straight is the same pitch.

Where the Rugby pitch is now by Thanks Tanks (Defience Field), is where the South Western side played in the 1960’s and won two championships!

HMS Raleigh or Spicknal was where the kids and Duchy played before the changing rooms were made unsafe.

And finally Maker FC pitch was up at Maker Church top of Mount Edgcumbe, before they Edgcumbe FC and played at Horson and Millay Park (Plymouth).

Hope that’s helps!

On 05/03/2019 at 13:06, RAPPO said:

Didn’t we win that one about 10-0 Mike!?! Seemed like the whole village was there at kick off calling us posers and big time Charlies etc etc but disappeared after 20 minutes when we were about 3-0 up!! Lashing down as well if I remember, pretty sure I scored my 50th goal for Town in 49 games that day? Think I had 4, can only remember George scoring a beauty that game? Pretty sure Tommy scored a header as well? Memory ain’t the best anymore Mike! Still recall loads of Falmouth games but that’s about it though!! Good days Mike 👍

I actually scored two Rappo! They were about 4 leagues below us and the following week we were at Yate in the Vast about 4 leagues above us!

Sorry Tom! The old memories are fading fast! Might have to have a scrapbooks day to jolt the brain one day soon! Remember the Yate game well though! Unlucky to lose 2-1. Your superb cross for my header top corner! Usually the other way around Tom! Philpys stud marks all down his body! Saboo sleeping on the coach all game! Shaun Cooper nicking their dressing room mirror! Good bus trip as always though Tom! Remember playing for Cornwall a few weeks after that up country somewhere when Brian Hodge was manager and after dropping everyone off at various places, Exeter, Torquay, Plymouth etc there was just you, me and Rower left on the coach going over the Tamar bridge!! Remember you saying “this is the actual Cornwall team” 😂 3 of us with all the suits down the front! Crazy mate! 

1 hour ago, Fanfare said:

For a defender @Tommy Matthews had a pretty good strike rate. Even scoring a hat trick and an overhead kick!

Tommy Matthews (1978-94 Falmouth)    53 goals from 460 appearances.

Other FT Central Defender's record.  Dave Gardner 60 goals/258 apps-Keith Manley 23/580-Graham Heard 20/250-Mervyn Rich 12/526-Roy Mallett 3/386.

Current CD.  Joe Cooper  9 goals  234 apps and James Ward  14 goals /113 apps

I’ll never forget the “Matthews semi final” at St.Blazey when Tommy scored 2 in our 3-2 win. I was injured that day (good old knee) and was behind the goal with the F Troop having a great time when Tom produced a perfectly executed bicycle kick for the winner! Gutted I wasn’t playing so I could have joined in the pile on! Tom and Dave were superb defenders but you could rely on them for 15/20 goals a season as well, not many of their ilk around in today’s game 👏🏼👊🏼👍