Cornwall Football Forum

19 minutes ago, Dagerags said:

You would think at these meetings they would teach them off the pitfalls of social media. Just look at poor Mike Dean there are pages dedicated to his poor showings.

Maybe the people at the helm of the club's should do the same to their managers and players?

Referees are naturally silent on this forum except for the odd few. Me personally, I weren't going to say anything on this post until it actually got brought up by my other half who'd seen something on Facebook. What is that all about?

Personally, I think more referees should come on here and defend themselves because they get slandered left, right and centre on a regular basis! They all read the comments, they all hear about them and it affects them, whether they like to admit it or not! 

The problem is social media and people hiding behind names so they are unaccountable for their conduct and comments. 

Hell up when a referee responds mind! I could set a few home truths about various players I've had the "pleasure" of officiating recently, none less than last Sunday. However it's that minimal amount of professional courtesy that I have towards that team that has prevented me from doing so!

25 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Maybe the people at the helm of the club's should do the same to their managers and players?

Referees are naturally silent on this forum except for the odd few. Me personally, I weren't going to say anything on this post until it actually got brought up by my other half who'd seen something on Facebook. What is that all about?

Personally, I think more referees should come on here and defend themselves because they get slandered left, right and centre on a regular basis! They all read the comments, they all hear about them and it affects them, whether they like to admit it or not! 

The problem is social media and people hiding behind names so they are unaccountable for their conduct and comments. 

Hell up when a referee responds mind! I could set a few home truths about various players I've had the "pleasure" of officiating recently, none less than last Sunday. However it's that minimal amount of professional courtesy that I have towards that team that has prevented me from doing so!

No referees should have to defend themselves because there should be nothing to defend. The decisions will be made and the players should accept them whether they agree or not. The more vocal critics should be made to officiate a game or at least take the referee's course. 

It should never ever get personal.  As @stevieb said on another thread in the good old days after the game everyone was friends and it was left there. Social media is good but it can equally be bad, especially in cases like this.

On 06/03/2019 at 07:13, Dave Bartlam said:

I'm just going to throw a few facts in here because naturally the referee is taking the brunt of the blame for the game both on here and other social media platforms...

Wind - was strong yes, but I allowed time to compensate for the ball rolling during restarts.

"Telling the keeper to put a ball in a hole" - the keeper was stamping the floor to place the ball - that's a cautionable offence. I let him know I was okay for him to do this due to the speed of the wind.

Overruling my assistant - The assistant flagged for an offside as I awarded a penalty. I ran over, had a chat and was told by the assistant that the offside player had not interfered with the ball, therefore that is not an offside offence. Penalty decision stood.

Red card - unjustifiable.

Yellow cards - two for dissent, the rest for foul tackles or for stopping a promising attack (2). All justified. You'd think that after one or two, people would get the hint! As stated above, I could have easily issued second yellow cards to certain players in that game!

That game, for 55 minutes was a decent one. Then as soon as that red card came out, certain players lost their discipline and moaned at every single decision I made. 

That's as much as I'm going to say. I've been made the scapegoat for a team's really poor behaviour. I didn't expect anything less.

Lastly, just have a think about it for a minute... There's a shortage of referees and yet the ones you get are treated like crap. This is junior football, you will get less experienced referees in these league's. Want a quality one - get yourself up the pyramid! 

I won't be reffing much from now on. I'm not giving up my weekends away from my family to be treated like that. Wahey I hear many of you say. 

Waaaaaahhhhheeeyyyyyyy!!! 🙄

On 06/03/2019 at 17:18, roger moore said:

I was interested to see that you were only going to make one comment on the game David bartlam and now we can't keep you off here, I am afraid it it like your performance on Sunday, you like to be centre of attention, if a referee has a bad game then he is going to get criticism on forums like this, the same as clubs and players do, it doesn't mean all those clubs are going to retire and give up the game ...the problem is having a forum like this where it is to easy to criticize and slag people off...

Your boys were crap get over it. Result to moaning when it isn’t going your way is the classic St Ives way