Cornwall Football Forum

Hi Paul C here, 

Been out the game a long time so thought I’d soak up a Sunday semi today. Congrats to Illogan think they deserve it more down to the fact St Ives acted like a bunch of moaning little girls but then I’m not surprised judging by some of the atrocious haircuts on show. Hope the Illogan number 7 is okay after a disgraceful tackle from a little  playing for St Ives 

Not sure why Paul c thinks haircuts have any bearing on the game....the illogan player you mention jumped up after that tackle and to be fair to him got on with the game....the illogan keeper and the crossbar kept them in it but they stuck in and got the result ...good luck in the final..

2 minutes ago, bigbadbarry said:

He was poor tho. He rightly sent the st ives player off but after that there was cards coming out far to often

Bigbadbarry has hit the nail on the head, he didn’t brandish a card till the red in the 55th minutes despite numerous opportunities then he just used a scattergun approach from then on.

53 minutes ago, Dagerags said:

Bigbadbarry has hit the nail on the head, he didn’t brandish a card till the red in the 55th minutes despite numerous opportunities then he just used a scattergun approach from then on.

I think the funny thing I heard all day tho was telling the illogan keeper to put the ball in a hole before he took a goal kick as the wind was moving it. 

59 minutes ago, Dagerags said:

Probably at that point that he realised that the game probably shouldn’t have gone ahead. 

With regards to that it’s a difficult one, the league making a decision at 11. If it was postponed I would imagine there would be the same abuse about postponement instead.

2 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

With regards to that it’s a difficult one, the league making a decision at 11. If it was postponed I would imagine there would be the same abuse about postponement instead.

You'll never please everybody. I watched a ladies game at Culdrose and it was the windiest I've ever known it to be at a game. Even worse than St Just or Pendeen.

If you place the ball for goal kick and the wind keeps blowing it, what is the referee's opinion. Kick it while it's rolling? Even worse on 3G or 4G or 5G or whatever the latest non grass pitch is.

Conditions  was windy but nothing wrong with the pitch ,  so I cant see what was wrong with playing the game ,  neither team got the ball down  and passed the ball to feet  enough so they didn't play to the conditions  , both teams were moaning at the ref , and assistants , seems to be creeping in to local football , the ref can overrule a lino . St.ives looked more likely to win the game , 2-0 up  played the better football . The ref didn't have no choice  but to issue a red card , did anyone watch the spurs   Arsenal game and see a sending off for a lot less . Illogan in normal time didn't  use the extra  man to their  advantage , a couple of other players could have received  a second  yellow  for some  Iinfringements  , penalties  are a lottery  the onus  is on the pen taker to put it in . It was hard work for the officials  on Sunday  just let them do their job and players play football and everyone would be happy .

I'm just going to throw a few facts in here because naturally the referee is taking the brunt of the blame for the game both on here and other social media platforms...

Wind - was strong yes, but I allowed time to compensate for the ball rolling during restarts.

"Telling the keeper to put a ball in a hole" - the keeper was stamping the floor to place the ball - that's a cautionable offence. I let him know I was okay for him to do this due to the speed of the wind.

Overruling my assistant - The assistant flagged for an offside as I awarded a penalty. I ran over, had a chat and was told by the assistant that the offside player had not interfered with the ball, therefore that is not an offside offence. Penalty decision stood.

Red card - unjustifiable.

Yellow cards - two for dissent, the rest for foul tackles or for stopping a promising attack (2). All justified. You'd think that after one or two, people would get the hint! As stated above, I could have easily issued second yellow cards to certain players in that game!

That game, for 55 minutes was a decent one. Then as soon as that red card came out, certain players lost their discipline and moaned at every single decision I made. 

That's as much as I'm going to say. I've been made the scapegoat for a team's really poor behaviour. I didn't expect anything less.

Lastly, just have a think about it for a minute... There's a shortage of referees and yet the ones you get are treated like crap. This is junior football, you will get less experienced referees in these league's. Want a quality one - get yourself up the pyramid! 

I won't be reffing much from now on. I'm not giving up my weekends away from my family to be treated like that. Wahey I hear many of you say. 

16 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I'm just going to throw a few facts in here because naturally the referee is taking the brunt of the blame for the game...

Wind - was strong yes, but I allowed time to compensate for the ball rolling during restarts.

"Telling the keeper to put a ball in a hole" - the keeper was stamping the floor to place the ball - that's a cautionable offence. I let him know I was okay for him to do this due to the speed of the wind.

Overruling my assistant - The assistant flagged for an offside as I awarded a penalty. I ran over, had a chat and was told by the assistant that the offside player had not interfered with the ball, therefore that is not an offside offence. Penalty decision stood.

Red card - unjustifiable.

Yellow cards - two for dissent, the rest for foul tackles or for stopping a promising attack (2). All justified. You'd think that after one or two, people would get the hint! As stated above, I could have easily issued second yellow cards to certain players in that game!

That game, for 55 minutes was a decent one. Then as soon as that red card came out, certain players lost their discipline and moaned at every single decision I made. 

That's as much as I'm going to say. I've been made the scapegoat for a team's really poor behaviour. I didn't expect anything less.

Lastly, just have a think about it for a minute... There's a shortage of referees and yet the ones you get are treated like crap. This is junior football, you will get less experienced referees in these league's. Want a quality one - get yourself up the pyramid! 

I won't be reffing much from now on. I'm not giving up my weekends away from my family to be treated like that. Wahey I hear many of you say. 

Hello Dave. I would not have given the dissenters the courtesy of a reply. Let them see how they get on without a referee in future...because it is the future if they don't shut their gobs and get on with it. 

7 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Hello Dave. I would not have given the dissenters the courtesy of a reply. Let them see how they get on without a referee in future...because it is the future if they don't shut their gobs and get on with it. 

Above is all I'm saying about the game. I know what happened from a refereeing point of view - I'm content with that. 

Because of these posts and those on social media, I've actually had quite a few people message me about the game - who were there as a neutral - offering support and kind words. Thankfully those that aren't blinkered could see what was happening.

My fault though, of course.

"Many thanks must also go to today’s referee, ???, his two assistants, ??? and  ???. Without the “Men In Black” matches wouldn’t go ahead so please can we remind you that the Combination League supports the FA Respect Campaign both on the pitch and also at pitch-side."

So what I write in EVERY programme goes in one and out the other ear.

Respect the officials, ON the pitch AND at PITCH-SIDE.

Might as well take it out of the programme as it means so little to some. This forum counts as pitch-side.

I wish to thank the referee who took the game on at short notice. 

15 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Seems to me the fella was trying to control and calm the game down after allowing a bit of discretion.

But as usual when the rules / laws are applied the referee is pilloried yet again, and again, and again ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

What did you think of the game Older?

2 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I won't be reffing much from now on. I'm not giving up my weekends away from my family to be treated like that.

All the more reason for continuing Dave!

As for the game, it was never going to be classic because of the wind and unfortunately most of the players weren’t able to work out how to use it to their advantage.

St Ives had done enough in the first half to get into the final, but they came out in the second half looking as if they were intent on roughing the game up a bit instead of concentrating on playing football. A third goal and they would have been through. They lost the game themselves, not because of the referee.

I just wish the ref had issued more cards for the constant remarks being shouted out!

As for the “Respect” CTB - absolute waste of time getting the players to shake hands before the game.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

All the more reason for continuing Dave!

As for the game, it was never going to be classic because of the wind and unfortunately most of the players weren’t able to work out how to use it to their advantage.

St Ives had done enough in the first half to get into the final, but they came out in the second half looking as if they were intent on roughing the game up a bit instead of concentrating on playing football. A third goal and they would have been through. They lost the game themselves, not because of the referee.

I just wish the ref had issued more cards for the constant remarks being shouted out!

As for the “Respect” CTB - absolute waste of time getting the players to shake hands before the game.

It became very hard to manage in then end. I've seen plenty of blame aimed towards me - I'm taking none of it. The things people have said above were not down to me - they were down to the actions of individuals who lost their discipline. They were then surprised by my reaction when I start enforcing the Laws of the Game. I'm not their to be a friend or be popular, I'm there to enforce those laws. I did that.

Looking at the players I booked for St Ives and then looking at Whole Game, I can see the ones that I booked are repeat offenders. That doesn't surprise me.

Its "unprofessional" of a referee to talk about his/her game afterwards and its often frowned upon by peers... I don't really care though. This is a classic case of blame the referee with no real justification - something we see on here all the time.

I'm one of the people that go out of my way and dedicate a massive amount of time not just for the club's in my league, but also those in other leagues in which I am not a part of. I also help out alot in the recruitment and development of referees. This culture has to change because if it doesn't, we are only going to see more referees drop out. 

Older, you have summed it up, again, some never learn, this guy has given up a lot of his time not only to referee this semi at short notice. He has helped many clubs, one or two would have folded. Comments like this, we will keep losing people who give their all for football. Personally, Dave I would not have replied, you do not have to justify yourself. Would be interesting if some of these individuals, have ever refereed or would take up the whistle

26 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Older, you have summed it up, again, some never learn, this guy has given up a lot of his time not only to referee this semi at short notice. He has helped many clubs, one or two would have folded. Comments like this, we will keep losing people who give their all for football. Personally, Dave I would not have replied, you do not have to justify yourself. Would be interesting if some of these individuals, have ever refereed or would take up the whistle

Thanks Dave. The bit that's made me bite is when my other half has told me that she has seen comments being made about me from this game on Facebook. It should never get personal, yet it has. People who weren't even there are jumping on the bandwagon! That's just not right and it's not fair on my family to see rubbish like that because they then encourage me not to bother anymore.

31 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Thanks Dave. The bit that's made me bite is when my other half has told me that she has seen comments being made about me from this game on Facebook. It should never get personal, yet it has. People who weren't even there are jumping on the bandwagon! That's just not right and it's not fair on my family to see rubbish like that because they then encourage me not to bother anymore.

They should be thanking you for your time and efforts!! Its simple, the game can not be played without refs. Individuals such as yourself are gold dust nowadays. 

I was interested to see that you were only going to make one comment on the game David bartlam and now we can't keep you off here, I am afraid it it like your performance on Sunday, you like to be centre of attention, if a referee has a bad game then he is going to get criticism on forums like this, the same as clubs and players do, it doesn't mean all those clubs are going to retire and give up the game ...the problem is having a forum like this where it is to easy to criticize and slag people off...

Centre of attention? It gets better! Unfortunately, everytime a referee blows a whistle, he/she becomes centre of attention. It's unavoidable. The reason I've continued commenting is because I've engaged in conversation with people. Isn't that what a forum is for?

Unfortunately however, others see the forum as a way of hiding behind a pseudonym and slagging people off because there would be no ramifications on them. It's ridiculous that's people think it is okay to say some of the things they've said. 

Many people that have commented on these platforms weren't even at the game - a few are people I know personally who don't like me for one reason or another so this is a good chance to put a boot in whilst others are plunging the knife in! Standard internet warrior behaviour!

I think it maybe time for all the refs to come together  and for say a couple  of weeks all have other plans for those Saturday  and see how  the clubs , players cope  . No officials  no games . Perhaps on the forum we could have a separate part for refs , now that would be an eye opener , then they could have their say behind nicknames  , like player B couldn't  hit a cows ass with a banjo  ,  player A  couldn't  trap a bag of cement ,  now that would be fun  , 😈😈😈

7 minutes ago, Dagerags said:

quick question is there anybody from the cfa who is in charge of the referees ? as in do they the referees have anyone they can ring meet to talk about there issues, concerns, seek advice ?

Yes. There is a big support network. Stuart Kane (a level 3 referee) as the referee workforce officer, Paul Murphy as the referee appointments officer and Dave Dodson as the referee representative on the CCFA council. At a more local level there are also referee associations where experienced referees are available to chat on the phone as well as at meetings.

Had a great experience  last season when invited to a refs meeting at Holmans ,  good to see how much work goes on behind the scenes  , they go through various  scenarios  on games , refs reports , feedback  . I thought  it was a good evening , would be great if managers , capts of clubs could attend say a workshop to see what goes on . Refs not just turn up get paid  move on . They are ,like us they love football,  don't forget out of their  match fees they have to travel , buy kit attend training , meeting  ect  , they are human  , they have a sense  of humour , they don't go out of their  way to **** up a game of football , they want to be involved in a good match with no cards issued , that means players have  adhered to the laws of the game , players and managers have also a responsibility  to the game ,  enjoy the game , give your best,  support  our refs , there is no football without them .