Cornwall Football Forum

CFA Statement - 28th February

Cornwall County Football
Association Limited
Kernow House, 15 Callywith Gate, Launceston Road, Bodmin. PL31 2RQ

St. Piran League Applications and Update

Applications

The deadline for submitting a formal application to participate in the St.Piran League for the 2019/20 season was on Sunday 24th February, we are delighted to say that 20 clubs, listed below, have submitted an application. In addition to these teams it is already confirmed that Bude Town and Ludgvan will be founding members of the St.Piran League and they will be joined by any teams not successful with their application to join The South West Peninsula League at Step 6 of the National League System.

AFC St Austell Reserves
Falmouth Town FC Reserves
Hayle FC
Helston Athletic FC Reserves
Illogan RBL FC
Liskeard Athletic Reserves
Mousehole AFC Reserves
North Petherwin
Penryn Athletic FC
Perranporth FC
Perranwell FC
Polperro AFC
Saltash United Reserves
St Agnes AFC
St Day FC
St Dennis AFC Reserves
St.Just AFC
Torpoint Athletic FC Reserves
Wadebridge Town Reserves
Wendron United Reserves

Sponsorship

We are delighted to announce that Kernow Stone will be partnering with The St. Piran League, they will be sponsoring the League Cup Competition and will allow the league to offer prize money for this competition.

Kernow Stone

Kernow Stone is the leading providers of natural stone in Cornwall. Its parent company, Martin and Sons, was founded in 1909, and now sees the fourth and fifth generation of the Martin family working together towards the fabrication of natural stone. With over 20 years of experience in this market and thousands of happy customers across Devon, Cornwall and Somerset, Kernow Stone can supply and install granite and quartz worktops, supply natural stone wall and floor tiles, house signs, slate sills and more. https://www.granite-worktops-cornwall.co.uk

The League will continue to search for additional partners with similarly strong Cornish identities and a reputation for quality and would ask anyone interested in being part of this County Wide League to get in contact with League Secretary Steve Carpenter stpiransec@hotmail.com or Richard Pallot from the Cornwall FA. richard.pallot@cornwallfa.com

Next Steps

To ensure consistency across the St. Piran League and the new Step 7 Leagues in Devon there will be a meeting with representatives of The St. Piran League, Cornwall FA, the new 2 division Step 7 League in Devon, Devon FA and The South West Peninsula League where we will be discussing several topics.

We are also aware of the effect the changes will have on the other Saturday Leagues in Cornwall and a meeting has been scheduled with representatives of the East Cornwall Premier League, Cornwall Combination League, The Duchy League and The Trelawny League to discuss the impact of the changes and how we are best placed to support these leagues moving forward.

If you do have any questions or would like further information then please contact Richard Pallot at Cornwall FA on the email address above or call 01208 262983.

Perranporth FC        2.565

Saltash United Reserves  2.467

Penryn Athletic FC   2.292

AFC St Austell Reserves 2.2

Polperro AFC   2.2

St Day FC        2.16

Torpoint Athletic FC Reserves 2.154

Helston Athletic FC Reserves  2.148

Perranwell FC  2.0

Illogan RBL FC        1.864

Falmouth Town FC Reserves  1.82

Hayle FC 1.577

Liskeard Athletic Reserves       1.429
Wendron United Reserves       1.174
St Agnes AFC  1.16
St.Just AFC     1.0
Wadebridge Town Reserves    0.57

Mousehole AFC Reserves

St Dennis AFC Reserves

North Petherwin

3 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Perranporth FC        2.565

Saltash United Reserves  2.467

Penryn Athletic FC   2.292

AFC St Austell Reserves 2.2

Polperro AFC   2.2

St Day FC        2.16

Torpoint Athletic FC Reserves 2.154

Helston Athletic FC Reserves  2.148

Perranwell FC  2.0

Illogan RBL FC        1.864

Falmouth Town FC Reserves  1.82

Hayle FC 1.577

Liskeard Athletic Reserves       1.429
Wendron United Reserves       1.174
St Agnes AFC  1.16
St.Just AFC     1.0
Wadebridge Town Reserves    0.57

Mousehole AFC Reserves

St Dennis AFC Reserves

North Petherwin

That doesn’t look too bad a spread, geographically 

Bottom two Cornish sides in Div 1 West, currently Dobwalls and St Blazey should make up the other 2. Two sides from East Cornwall area which will help balance up the East-West spread of teams.

My guess anyway, and that is really all we can do until 31st May when the seasons finish for the CCL and ECPL. 

But like all good theories it's fun guessing. 

7 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

So Liskeard,Wendron,St.Agnes and St.Just will not be considered.Can it be assumed,Steve,that the other 2 will probable be St.Blazey,and Dobwalls ?

They can only do one thing to promote themselves now and that is win every game they can to boost their Points Per Game average. 

Hayle could lose a couple of games, Liskeard Reserves win a couple and they would swap places and put Liskeard into the top 12. 

It's now down to the club's own performance on the pitch..

3 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Bottom two Cornish sides in Div 1 West, currently Dobwalls and St Blazey should make up the other 2. Two sides from East Cornwall area which will help balance up the East-West spread of teams.

My guess anyway, and that is really all we can do until 31st May when the seasons finish for the CCL and ECPL. 

But like all good theories it's fun guessing. 

They can only do one thing to promote themselves now and that is win every game they can to boost their Points Per Game average. 

Hayle could lose a couple of games, Liskeard Reserves win a couple and they would swap places and put Liskeard into the top 12. 

It's now down to the club's own performance on the pitch..

Could see a few interesting team selections across the county once the evening games kick in and Peninsula season ends in that case

The deadline for submitting a formal application to participate in the St.Piran League for the 2019/20 season was on Sunday 24th February, we are delighted to say that 20 clubs, listed below, have submitted an application. In addition to these teams it is already confirmed that Bude Town and Ludgvan will be founding members of the St.Piran League and they will be joined by any teams not successful with their application to join The South West Peninsula League at Step 6 of the National League System.

AFC St Austell Reserves

Falmouth Town FC Reserves

Hayle FC

Helston Athletic FC Reserves

Illogan RBL FC

Liskeard Athletic Reserves

Mousehole AFC Reserves

North Petherwin

Penryn Athletic FC

Perranporth FC

Perranwell FC

Polperro AFC

Saltash United Reserves

St Agnes AFC

St Day FC

St Dennis AFC Reserves

St.Just AFC

Torpoint Athletic FC Reserves

Wadebridge Town Reserves

Wendron United Reserves

The clubs that expressed interest were:-

Expressions of Interest Received for Step 7

Current Step 7

ECPL Premier

Cornwall Combination

Bude Town 

Ludgvan 

AFC St Austell Reserves

Liskeard Reserves 

Millbrook Reserves

Polperro

Saltash United Reserves

Torpoint Athletic Reserves

Wadebridge Town Reserves

Falmouth Town Reserves

Hayle

Helston Athletic Reserves

Illogan RBL

Penryn Athletic

Perranporth

Perranwell

Porthleven Reserves

St Agnes 

St Day

St Ives Town

St.Just

Wendron Utd Reserves

ECPL Division 1

Morwenstow 

Newquay Reserves

St Stephen 

Duchy League

Trelawny League

Calstock

Foxhole Stars 

North Petherwin

Sticker Reserves

St Dennis Reserves

Mousehole Reserves

St Ives decided against applying after much conversation amongst the committee and team. This time last year we were struggling to get 10 men most Saturdays, we are instead hoping to retain our playing squad and add a second team to the club. 

Sometimes you have to know your limits and Bude away on a Tuesday in August will never be achievable from here for us. 

There's nothing to stop clubs like St Ives Town joining next season or in the future. In 1951, 12 'brave' clubs competed in a new league known as the South Western League. Clubs including Helston,  Tavistock and Wadebridge saw it to be a positive step forward and within a few years Bugle and Camelford joined the fold and although some clubs fell by the wayside, the league became a success and some wish it was still operating now.

I think the question being asked really is:-

Will the East Cornwall & Combination League teams still be in the Senior Cup and will players at St Piran and Peninsula level be totally free to play in East Cornwall & Combo matches ?

Here in the east, most Duchy teams wanting to move into the East Cornwall Lge have done so to get what most of us old gits still refer to as Senior status. This was particularly important for reserve sides as they have had the freedom to shift players between teams without restriction.

If the ecpl is relegated to what most of us old gits still refer to as Junior status then it would be pretty much redundant and it would be more practical for the Duchy Lge to have an extra division above its current Premier.

I must stress this is just my personal opinion.

In other words,Paul, merge Duchy/EC and Trelawney/Combo :with each new set-up having promotion/relegation with the new League.

This,surely,would make life easier for everyone in the county-Clubs and Administators: IF there are enough to fill the posts.

your thoughts,Paul ?

10 minutes ago, Adlestrop said:

In other words,Paul, merge Duchy/EC and Trelawney/Combo :with each new set-up having promotion/relegation with the new League.

This,surely,would make life easier for everyone in the county-Clubs and Administators: IF there are enough to fill the posts.

your thoughts,Paul ?

That's exactly the way it should be at sometime in the future. It's already been discussed between CCFA and the Leagues but it's not something which would be forced upon the Leagues or Clubs; they have the final say.

18 minutes ago, John Mead said:

That's exactly the way it should be at sometime in the future. It's already been discussed between CCFA and the Leagues but it's not something which would be forced upon the Leagues or Clubs; they have the final say.

I wasn't actually meaning a merger.
50+ years of history for both Duchy & ECPL, i don't think either would really want to lose their identity but i'm not sure the ecpl at 'junior' level would work.

1 hour ago, Paul Collings said:

I think the question being asked really is:-

Will the East Cornwall & Combination League teams still be in the Senior Cup and will players at St Piran and Peninsula level be totally free to play in East Cornwall & Combo matches ?

I wouldn't want to pre-empt any changes that may or may not be made to the Senior Cup that's very much for Dave Bray and the Competitions Committee and I know it's being looked at closely.  Now that we have a better idea of where we are regarding membership of St Piran that will help their deliberations.  I would emphasise that NO decisions have been made yet and it is something that could perhaps be discussed on Monday.  Whether St Piran and Peninsula players will be totally free to play in East Cornwall & Combo matches is entirely dictated by the rules of those leagues. 

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

your thoughts,Paul ?

It certainly would be a much cleaner structure but, as John Mead rightly states, this would be very much for the clubs of those leagues to decide. 

1 hour ago, Paul Collings said:

50+ years of history for both Duchy & ECPL, i don't think either would really want to lose their identity but i'm not sure the ecpl at 'junior' level would work.

Personally, I think there should be a 3rd, "Intermediate" Cup between SC & JC. This would give more teams the chance of winning something and - if structured carefully - would give more 2nd and/or 3rd teams a chance to be part of the Country Cup competitions.

4 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

I wouldn't want to pre-empt any changes that may or may not be made to the Senior Cup that's very much for Dave Bray and the Competitions Committee and I know it's being looked at closely.  Now that we have a better idea of where we are regarding membership of St Piran that will help their deliberations.  I would emphasise that NO decisions have been made yet and it is something that could perhaps be discussed on Monday.  Whether St Piran and Peninsula players will be totally free to play in East Cornwall & Combo matches is entirely dictated by the rules of those leagues. 

It certainly would be a much cleaner structure but, as John Mead rightly states, this would be very much for the clubs of those leagues to decide. 

There is no reason why these clubs should not be in the senior cup if just for once, the Cornwall fa think logically, but I doubt if that is possible!

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:31, Paul Collings said:

Why not gracefully disband both Leagues and form a new one(The Caradon League?) consisting of all remaining clubs ,with a Premier  division based on ground grading

facilities ;and say 3 other divisions. I suspect the biggest obstacle would be getting willing volunteers to administer the thing.

Would you be available,Paul?

I don't know whether this has been asked before.

What if clubs in positions to progress to the Combination League from the Trelawny League Premier Division are unable to accept promotion because they do not meet the criteria or have another team from that club already in the Combination League or even do not wish to move? Do the Committee simply move onto the next club down the final finishing order or maybe into subsequent Leagues?

7 minutes ago, Soccer Follower said:

I don't know whether this has been asked before.

What if clubs in positions to progress to the Combination League from the Trelawny League Premier Division are unable to accept promotion because they do not meet the criteria or have another team from that club already in the Combination League or even do not wish to move? Do the Committee simply move onto the next club down the final finishing order or maybe into subsequent Leagues?

This scenario is covered under standard league rules Nigel.  The Combination would have vacancies and clubs could apply to fill them.  It would then be up to the league as to whether they would take them or not.  I'm sure there will be discussions between the 2 leagues.

12 hours ago, Adlestrop said:

Why not gracefully disband both Leagues and form a new one(The Caradon League?) consisting of all remaining clubs ,with a Premier  division based on ground grading

facilities ;and say 3 other divisions. I suspect the biggest obstacle would be getting willing volunteers to administer the thing.

I had the 'Chough Championship' in mind but am definitely looking forward to going 'football free' soon - new start, new people would be ideal.

9 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

I had the 'Chough Championship' in mind but am definitely looking forward to going 'football free' soon - new start, new people would be ideal.

None of us getting any younger, Paul. It could be that amalgamations are the best way forward to ensure there are enough people to run the Leagues!

On 03/03/2019 at 21:00, Adlestrop said:

And would you be available Adlestrop?

• 4 weeks later...

With football entering the business end of the season, do we know anymore about who will make up the new St Piran league?

Will all the teams that applied still want to enter?

Is their any truth in the  rumour that st blazey and dobwalls will be playing in step 6 next season? (That’s what their players have been told).

21 hours ago, Number13 said:

With football entering the business end of the season, do we know anymore about who will make up the new St Piran league?

Will all the teams that applied still want to enter?

Is their any truth in the  rumour that st blazey and dobwalls will be playing in step 6 next season? (That’s what their players have been told).

Nothing more to report on the make up as that will be determined by the number of points gained by the applicants between now and the end of the season.  Now evening fixtures are underway that picture will become clearer much more quickly.

Nobody has withdrawn from the process as far as I am aware.

There are three possible scenarios here.  Both, one or neither of these clubs could be playing at Step 6 next season and all are dependent on possible promotions for Devon clubs.  If there are insufficient Devon clubs for Step 6, and they may be up to two short because of the promotions, then it's looking like two Cornish clubs will move across the 'fuzzy' border to make up the numbers.  I wouldn't want to guess what the outcome will be as all of this will be dealt with by the FA but I suspect certainly one and quite possibly both clubs will be in Step 6 next season.  I could of course be completely wrong.  We will know for sure at the seasons end.