Cornwall Football Forum

Bond Timber Cornwall Junior Cup, QF - Sat Feb 16 2019

29 minutes ago, Winkle Picker said:

Mousehole 4 Lostwithiel 1

spirited performance from Lostwithiel but just not quite good enough in all departments. Mousehole were well organised and looked pretty sound in all departments. Both sides were well disciplined and the game was played in the right spirit. Deserved win for Mousehole but i would have loved to have seen Billy & crew go through. Next year Billy!

Saturday 16th February 2019

St Mawgan 2 (Jayne 9, Morrison 44) Foxhole 3 (Griffin 31, 118, Bould pen 53) aet (Junior Cup)

Facing the slope and the gale Foxhole started well but went behind against the run of play when Craig Allen set up Jayne for an easy finish. A switch to a five-man midfield soon brought its rewards when Griffin expertly volleyed home Bradley Allen's fine cross but the hosts regained the lead when Morrison headed in a deep free-kick following a spell of pressure when Lake was twice tested from distance.

The Foxes levelled soon after the restart when a defender inexplicably handled Griffin's cross for Bould to make no mistake from the spot. However, despite enjoying almost total possession, the visitors failed to test Jordan Cole for the remainder of normal time and the first half of extra-time. St Mawgan looked to be favourites to progress with the elements in their favour, and  Lake again proved a very able deputy for the unavailable Bullen before, at the death, Griffin managed to out-fox the excellent Prentice to bag the winner.

Well played lads and hard luck St Mawgan. Many thanks to the officials Paul Buscombe, Ian Osborne and Andy Ball.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Anton Lake; Nathan Papaioannou, Chris Brown, Lee Whetter, Huw Morgan; Martin Gilbert, Bradley Allen, Levi Kerrigan, Rory Barnacle; Benno Bould, Richard Griffin. Subs: Ryan Wilkins, Nathan Allen, Martin Giles, Aidan Dingle, Jay Manning (unused).

St Mawgan (4-4-2): Jordan Cole; Tom Jayne, Aaron Hawken, Ollie Morrison, Brett Prentice; Bonar Maull, Chris Revill, Alex Bicknell, James Olsen; Craig Allen, Stuart Harris. Subs: Chris Jordan, Dave Bertie, Ash Bicknell, Alex Coles.

So the obvious game to go and watch this week was St. Mawgan vs Foxhole and my god, it did not disappoint. I’ll give a quick roundup in an honest and neutral form unlike the report that I’ve just read further up this forum. 

Mawgan started quicker playing downhill and the right back finished well to put his side into a deserved lead. Against the run of play, foxhole got back into from some sloppy defending, allowing a good cross which Griffin finished superbly. Shortly after, Mawgan whipped in a free kick which was volleyed home to put the home side into a deserved lead at half time; it could have been more however as the keeper pulled off a fine couples saved from long efforts from the Mawgan boys.  

Foxhole played downhill now and it was all how they could respond with conditions in their favour, now this is where the game completely changed. The referee, I’ve said before I hate moaning about refs but anybody at that ground, including foxholes contingent, I hasten to add, knew that this was an awful performance. The ball gets crossed into the Mawgan area and with one of the most blatant pushes in the back of the defender you’re ever likely to see resulted in a handball and a penalty. Everyone stood around was laughing at the referee. What a shocker. Rumours that he lives in foxhole were seeming true by this point... the pen was unjustly scored. The rest of the half sort of played out with no real excitement going on as Mawgan defended well against the not-so-sharp front foxhole line. 

Extra time. 

First half goes by with again no real issue.

second half and you won’t believe what happens now. With minutes remaining and the dreaded (for players) penalty shootout looming, the referee has only what can be described as ‘blonde moment’ as the foxhole striker (think it was that griff bloke but hard to tell) is hunting down the Mawgan centre back who’s running towards his own goal, the Mawgan keeper comes out and misses the ball!! But then with everyone waiting for the CB to clear the ball, the striker just throws him to the ground (completely ignoring the 2 fouls prior to this particular moment) in what would only be seen in a wrestling ring! The crowd laughed again waiting for the free kick to be given but no... brain fart...for mr referee! Gives the goal without consulting the linesman who was waving furiously! Amazing scenes for the neutral but some truly horrific refereeing on display. I feel oh so sorry for the home side as they never deserved to lose this game but foxhole, you take what you can and good luck to them, I’ll be waiting for the next round draw and will be watching foxhole wherever they go ( in hope of some more drama! ) 

oh god, referee, what have you done...

Losty 1 Mousehole 4. We were outplayed today and the scoreline was a fair reflection on he game. Mouseholr scored in the first minute and again in the tenth with 2 well taken goals. Another 2 before Half time knocked the stuffing out of us. We pulled one back on 48 from a Jon Harris penalty and showed charachter and real guts to keep going but never threatened to get back in the game. Mousehole are a top side. Good to see Paul and Colin supporting us today and great to have a chat with Mr Cornish Football Rappo. Great to see you Mark. We now need to show the same bottle in our remaining league games to get away from the bottom. 

1 hour ago, Outsider said:

Honest and neutral?  Are you from Watergate Bay then?  St. Mawgan defender stuck is arm up in the air and pulled the ball down. Home linesman did not even flag this time.

Referee definitely not from Foxhole.

Ha ha very witty. No no, I just say what I see...and what everyone else saw... the lack of celebration compared to every other goal was a key indicator to how foxhole knew they’d burgled one there. 

Anyway enjoy your pint in the pub with the ref. 

13 hours ago, Big_Baller8 said:

So the obvious game to go and watch this week was St. Mawgan vs Foxhole and my god, it did not disappoint. I’ll give a quick roundup in an honest and neutral form unlike the report that I’ve just read further up this forum. 

Mawgan started quicker playing downhill and the right back finished well to put his side into a deserved lead. Against the run of play, foxhole got back into from some sloppy defending, allowing a good cross which Griffin finished superbly. Shortly after, Mawgan whipped in a free kick which was volleyed home to put the home side into a deserved lead at half time; it could have been more however as the keeper pulled off a fine couples saved from long efforts from the Mawgan boys.  

Foxhole played downhill now and it was all how they could respond with conditions in their favour, now this is where the game completely changed. The referee, I’ve said before I hate moaning about refs but anybody at that ground, including foxholes contingent, I hasten to add, knew that this was an awful performance. The ball gets crossed into the Mawgan area and with one of the most blatant pushes in the back of the defender you’re ever likely to see resulted in a handball and a penalty. Everyone stood around was laughing at the referee. What a shocker. Rumours that he lives in foxhole were seeming true by this point... the pen was unjustly scored. The rest of the half sort of played out with no real excitement going on as Mawgan defended well against the not-so-sharp front foxhole line. 

Extra time. 

First half goes by with again no real issue.

second half and you won’t believe what happens now. With minutes remaining and the dreaded (for players) penalty shootout looming, the referee has only what can be described as ‘blonde moment’ as the foxhole striker (think it was that griff bloke but hard to tell) is hunting down the Mawgan centre back who’s running towards his own goal, the Mawgan keeper comes out and misses the ball!! But then with everyone waiting for the CB to clear the ball, the striker just throws him to the ground (completely ignoring the 2 fouls prior to this particular moment) in what would only be seen in a wrestling ring! The crowd laughed again waiting for the free kick to be given but no... brain fart...for mr referee! Gives the goal without consulting the linesman who was waving furiously! Amazing scenes for the neutral but some truly horrific refereeing on display. I feel oh so sorry for the home side as they never deserved to lose this game but foxhole, you take what you can and good luck to them, I’ll be waiting for the next round draw and will be watching foxhole wherever they go ( in hope of some more drama! ) 

oh god, referee, what have you done...

First thing that needs to be said said, what an advert for duchy football. Two of the strongest outfits I’ve seen play in this league for a long long time and they didn’t disappoint. 

In terms of the football, I didn’t know what to expect, but I expected goals and for the foxhole keeper that would have been the case. Mawgan were possessed for the first 30 minutes and made this brilliant foxhole side look like they had never kicked a ball before. Mawgan got their well deserved lead and it appeared that their running and class was too much for foxhole at this point. Then, the game changed. Two bits of class, the cross and the finish.. now that’s why foxhole can boast that they’re the top side in duchy football currently, they has created nothing and suddenly we’re back in the game. 

The first half looked like we’d be going in level, but once again, Mawgan scored. One of the centre backs (who were brilliant for 120minutes) scoring a volley from a well worked set price. This lead to Mawgan being the team in control again and just moments later and a minute before half time the keeper stopped St Mawgans striker from adding a third by tipping his effort into the the crossbar. 

Now this is what I hate about football.. slagging off a referee, but there is no way anyone can talk about this game without doing that. 

Foxhole knew if they could get a goal it would be hard for Mawgan, but Paul buscombe (who I must say has refereed some cracking games before) have the foxes a late Christmas present. With the centre half getting shoved from behind so much he fell over and the ball hitting his swinging arm as the result of the push, Paul buscombe pointed to the spot, which the foxhole striker calmly finished. Game on. 

Giving great credit to the ever organised Mawgan side, they limited foxhole to just one shot on target the whole second half but foxhole were strong in possession and controlled proceedings until the final whistle. 

Extra time was upon us and it was innivtable this would be the case with two fantastic sides. 

A very solid defensive display once again from Mawgan meant that foxhole couldn’t score down the slope - I think everyone can say, it was a half where players looked tired and struggled to create. 

With foxhole now going up the hill they started positively and tried getting forward, but with about 5 minutes to go, the full back that had already scored was presented with an identical chance to make it 3-2, but for what can only be described as the save of the season it remained 2-2. 

Now, you guessed it, time for Paul buscombe to give foxhole their birthday present too. With what I made just over a minute left before penalties, the Ball goes up in the air, the ref is a mile away from the ball and the striker for foxhole, who is experienced and does what he needs to do by pulling the centre backs shirt and elbowing him constantly to get around him , the centre back then passes the ball pass the on rushing goalkeeper and then it because a case of knocking the ball out of play for the entire back - who was fantastic may I add - but the pulling, pushing and fighting continued from the striker, by this point the referee hadn’t even got to the half way line, and the striker tapped the Ball into an empty net. 

With weird celebrations and awkward laughs and smiles around the ground, foxhole knew they could take what had just happened and run. 

Overall, foxhole will progress and carry on a great season, but I think they’ll agree and any neutral watching, this is a very good St Mawgan side who will push them all the way in the other competitions. Great credit to both sides! 

I hope people will understand that the referee shouldn’t be a talking point in football, but so often is, but sometimes when there is a big game like this there needs to be consideration over the appointment of the referee - inconsistent and not one, but two awful mistakes which even the foxhole supporters were keen to admit. 

Good luck foxhole, I’m sure duchy are behind you and I will be there to watch in the semis! 

I spectated the St Mawgan, Foxhole Quarter Final and wasn’t left disappointed in a game that had everything and was a great advert for Duchy football. 

I must agree with no I in team, on the way the Mawgan side started the game. For the first 20/25 minutes they looked like a very very good footballing side.

An easy finish for Mawgan to go ahead 1-0, but then an excellent cross and finish for Foxhole to get back in the game. 

Another good delivery, this time for Mawgan saw their centre half put them 2-1 up before half time. But between this goal and the half time whistle the Foxhole keeper pulled off two great saves to keep them in the game. 

Second half, I can only say I didn’t see what happened for the penalty other than a handball. Their was talk around me of a push in the back, but I can honestly say I didn’t see it. 2-2. 

Extra Time looked like both teams were scared to lose now, understandably.

A couple of chances did come about for both sides here and there, but nothing clear cut. Until about a minute remaining in what I can say was a spectacle that in my eyes deserved a penalty shoot out. The referee had other ideas. Now I think the referee was actually okay during the match until this point. The Foxhole forward clearly wrapped both arms around the Mawgan defender to literally move him out the way, to find himself through on goal to net the winner. Even the Foxhole contingent near me were amazed to not hear the referee blow his whistle. Very disappointing way to end a game, which otherwise was an excellent battle between Duchys two top sides. 

The referee marred the rest of the 119 minutes and had made himself the centre of attention. 

Good Luck to Foxhole in the Semi Finals. I have no doubt that they will take the cup for the Duchy League. For me, the winner of this tie would have been my favourites to lift the trophy. 

I look forward to watching these two sides battle it out again next week, this time in the league. Which I’m sure will be a tasty affair!

Junior Cup Quarter Final

Frogpool & Cusgarne 3-0 Polperro Reserves

A good game at the Richard Jory Playing Field yesterday.

The frogs leaped to an early lead. Some lovely work down the right hand side from Adam Coveney and Aaron Coveney allowed Will Harding to score from a very tight angle.

We doubled our lead later in the first half, more good work down the right from the Coveneys allowed Harding to take a delightful, composed touch in the box to set up Jack Froud for a fine left footed finish.

The visitors had a couple of half chances in the first half but were limited by fine defensive work from Tom Campbell, Lewis Bax and Jordan Phillipps.

Polperro made lots of good opportunities in the second half but were denied by fine defending on the line from Harry Payne as well as some fine stops from Callum Davis.

The midfield of Sam Bromley, Harding and Sam Blackwood didn’t stop running all game. This fine work rate eventually led to a free kick about 25-yards out.

Harding stepped up and arrowed it straight into the top corner. A stunning goal. 

We held our nerve and defended well.

I bottled the man of the match shout, giving it to both Campbell and Harding after a fine result that sees us go into the final four of a 101 team competition. 

No matter what happens next, I couldn’t be prouder to manage this side with the fantastic Tom Gall who worked incessantly to get the pitch ready for the game. Good luck to Polperro for the rest of the season.

15 hours ago, Outsider said:

Honest and neutral?  Are you from Watergate Bay then?  St. Mawgan defender stuck is arm up in the air and pulled the ball down. Home linesman did not even flag this time.

Referee definitely not from Foxhole.

Every Foxhole player and supporter i spoke to admitted the referee gifted them 2 goals, just be humble admit it, and take it, im sure there will be days where things dont go your way, thats football.

Paul Buscombe is an excellent referee, but he made 2 huge errors that affected the outcome of a fantastic, massively competetive game of football.

I know we have to be thankful(and believe me we are) to referres for enabling these games to go ahead, but they get paid on average £30 a game?? thats £20 an hour, not a bad rate of pay is it??

10 minutes ago, Fanfare said:

All this talk of Mawgan reminds me of the halcyon days at the Recreation Ground of the Falmouth-Helston League. Wish they could reform!

Memories of the mighty Wally Collins, what a man to play against.

No quarter asked or given, he would terrorise today's centre backs.

footballfollower20,  I hate to spoil your fun with the match fee paid to referee`s, yesterday my match fee was £18 anything over and above that was in travelling expenses, Now I left home at 12.30 and did not get back home until 17.30 , which I calculate to be 5hrs so that is an hourly rate of 3.60 which if memory serves me correctly that is well below the minimum wage. So just maybe not as lucrative as you made it sound. Also I do not do it for the money I love football and it`s my way of staying involved. 

2 hours ago, footballfollower2000 said:

Every Foxhole player and supporter i spoke to admitted the referee gifted them 2 goals, just be humble admit it, and take it, im sure there will be days where things dont go your way, thats football.

Paul Buscombe is an excellent referee, but he made 2 huge errors that affected the outcome of a fantastic, massively competetive game of football.

I know we have to be thankful(and believe me we are) to referres for enabling these games to go ahead, but they get paid on average £30 a game?? thats £20 an hour, not a bad rate of pay is it??

£20 an hour!? So nothing for before the game, after it or any admin. Never mind the various meetings and CPD events during the season.

Now, I don’t care who referees, doesn’t affect me in the slightest. But, as you can see from this thread dave, I’m not the only one who thought Paul buscombe didn’t have his finest day yesterday - top ref on his day, I’m not debating that. Surely after what’s happened this week he should be taken away from these sides this weekend? Just imagine the uproar if he was to do the same again..

4 hours ago, B Manning said:

footballfollower20,  I hate to spoil your fun with the match fee paid to referee`s, yesterday my match fee was £18 anything over and above that was in travelling expenses, Now I left home at 12.30 and did not get back home until 17.30 , which I calculate to be 5hrs so that is an hourly rate of 3.60 which if memory serves me correctly that is well below the minimum wage. So just maybe not as lucrative as you made it sound. Also I do not do it for the money I love football and it`s my way of staying involved. 

Oh right my mistake, ill drop an invoice in to my boss for 50p a mile travelling expenses, and put my travelling to and from work down as overtime. I bet he’ll be delighted.

I’ve been playing adult football for over 20yrs, and I have massive respect and admiration for referees, but the bottom line is when they have a bad day, it’s only natural that people will criticise, that’s how life and the world works, and people can argue the toss whether they think that’s appropriate or not.

if I have a poor game, people will criticise me, and I may get dropped. We have to deal with it.

like I said previously, Paul is an excellent referee, just a bad day at the office, it happens.

43 minutes ago, B Manning said:

footballfollower20, its 32p per mile , sorry to correct you. but again that figure is well below what the AA and RAC quote for mileage expenses. All I am saying is that if you are going to quote figures please get them correct.

I said That’s what I was thinking about charging my boss, I never said that’s what referees got. Sorry to correct you. 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Anyone know what mark Paul was given by the clubs?

I can’t imagine St Mawgan rated him higher than 30! Foxhole - 130 perhaps

With sticker not being in any sort of tussle for trophies this season, I’ve been driving around to grounds and watching games. I was waiting for this tie and I’m waiting again for next week, I just don’t want to see the same ref make the same mistakes and ruin the same game.. as does everyone else. Take him out of the lime light and that’s fair for all parties in my opinion 

12 hours ago, No I in team said:

I can’t imagine St Mawgan rated him higher than 30! Foxhole - 130 perhaps

With sticker not being in any sort of tussle for trophies this season, I’ve been driving around to grounds and watching games. I was waiting for this tie and I’m waiting again for next week, I just don’t want to see the same ref make the same mistakes and ruin the same game.. as does everyone else. Take him out of the lime light and that’s fair for all parties in my opinion 

I hope you get him taken away, and not be reassigned a ref! 

19 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

What a pathetic thread. 

I hope the referee (who is actually a person) is not reading this.

Today's society raises it's ugly head again.

Quite right Older, as you say the ref is actually a person who if he takes the attitude of some of the posters on here in to account, could be forgiven for considering some form of retribution.
Not something that we would advocate, but he is human, and has feelings.  
Of course those who play the game and have never made a mistake ( there are plenty of them ) would also complain if a seemingly wrongful decision was given in their favour.
Paul Buscombe it appears had a bad day at the office as has been said, we have all had one at some time or another, the perfect ref or player has yet to be born !

10 minutes ago, We Two said:

Quite right Older, as you say the ref is actually a person who if he takes the attitude of some of the posters on here in to account, could be forgiven for considering some form of retribution.
Not something that we would advocate, but he is human, and has feelings.  
Of course those who play the game and have never made a mistake ( there are plenty of them ) would also complain if a seemingly wrongful decision was given in their favour.
Paul Buscombe it appears had a bad day at the office as has been said, we have all had one at some time or another, the perfect ref or player has yet to be born !

Not seeking retribution,  more likely quiting!

Theolderwegetthe betterwewere.

As you said we have never made a mistake.

Did he make a mistake? or simply gave what he saw from where he was standing.

I'll tell you something... If I was Paul and I'd reffed these two teams and then read this rubbish... I'd stay on the game next week.

If the club failed to confirm on time, I'd report it. Captain not wearing an armband... Reported. Any slight breach of law that requires a caution would be administered without "managing" it.

You want to moan about me and publicly slate me, you've aksed for me to be officious and I would do my job 100% in accordance with league rule and the laws of the game.

Petty? Maybe. But that is no way as bad as the public slating he has received on here!

Karma can be a bitch. 

Personally, im of the opinion Paul would still approach this game like any other and in a professional manner.

My personal and somewhat aggrieved opinion!

4 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I'll tell you something... If I was Paul and I'd reffed these two teams and then read this rubbish... I'd stay on the game next week.

If the club failed to confirm on time, I'd report it. Captain not wearing an armband... Reported. Any slight breach of law that requires a caution would be administered without "managing" it.

You want to moan about me and publicly slate me, you've aksed for me to be officious and I would do my job 100% in accordance with league rule and the laws of the game.

Petty? Maybe. But that is no way as bad as the public slating he has received on here!

Karma can be a bitch. 

Personally, im of the opinion Paul would still approach this game like any other and in a professional manner.

I think I would simply not turn up.

14 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Imagine the stick he's most likely going to be subjected too!

When will players learn that if you put a referee in a position where he/she has to make a decision, he/she will make that decision based on what he/she has seen! 

The only way they will learn that is if you repeatedly show it on PlayStation. 

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Karma can be a bitch. 

My personal and somewhat aggrieved opinion!

You sound very much like a referee yourself Dave