Cornwall Football Forum

Gilby and Laffs join forces!

I see the Kernow FA are kicking off their playing existence with a game on Monday , Feb 25th.

It’s against a Foxhole Stars XI (ko 7.30pm) at Poltair Park, St Austell.

It’s going to be a joint management set-up for the new team and they are ex-St Austell manager Phil Lafferty and current Bodmin boss Darren Gilbert.

Have spoken to whets and he’s getting a select squad of 18 together to play the fixture. Players have been asked from various clubs in the SWPL. Myself, Carl Rickard, Callum Kenny, mikey davies and Aaron Beresford have been asked to play from st Dennis. I know he has a couple from Newquay, Dan Jennings and Sam gerkin from wadebridge. 

Hes currently on the phone getting a team together so should be a good game. 

Always interesting seeing these types of squads being put together.  There never seems to be players from the Eastern part of Cornwall involved.  It's almost as if anything East of Bodmin doesn't get seen as Cornwall, which is a shame as there are some top players a little closer to the border.

Good luck in the game Lee.

13 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I see the Kernow FA are kicking off their playing existence with a game on Monday , Feb 25th.

It’s against a Foxhole Stars XI (ko 7.30pm) at Poltair Park, St Austell.

It’s going to be a joint management set-up for the new team and they are ex-St Austell manager Phil Lafferty and current Bodmin boss Darren Gilbert.

Interesting. A break from running a league club...or a distraction? 

Could explain a bit of slide.

19 hours ago, Keith B said:

That could be some pairing indeed. Great respect for both Laffs and Gilbert when it comes to  knowing how the game should be played and judging good players. Hope they get on well together.

Judging players has nothing to do with, the money in the pocket has everything to do with it.

Both Managers have only won leagues when they have had the biggest budget.

Their passion cannot be questioned at all and both know the game well but get them to go and manage in the league below with no money and see what success they get and how many so called big name players follow them. 

I think the Cornwall team would come out on top because the best goalscorer around Liam Eddy would be too  good for the Devon defence ,the majority of the team if i was picking it would come from St Austell simply because of the way they hammered Plymouth Parkway earlier in the season i would have Eddy and Annear up front

19 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

I think the Cornwall team would come out on top because the best goalscorer around Liam Eddy would be too  good for the Devon defence ,the majority of the team if i was picking it would come from St Austell simply because of the way they hammered Plymouth Parkway earlier in the season i would have Eddy and Annear up front

Surely that's just like saying I'd pick the whole tavi team as they are top and better than st austell 

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Lets hope the language doesn't let the cornish image down

Crikey, i can accept people talking about bad language to a degree but im afraid this is football, not a church service. Every player/manager swears, whether it be in frustration or potentially in some cases abusive. Im not condoning the bad language but it happens everywhere in football, not just the "cornish" managers

On 13/02/2019 at 12:01, 100%cornish said:

Oh 100% how deluded you must be. Devon would smash all over Cornwall any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Annear? Nothing on our boy Landricombe. Eddy? Nothing on Rocky Neal. Don't forget we'd also have the likes of Mike Landricombe, Daw brothers, Josh Oak etc etc to call upon, all top quality talent that would, rightfully, put Cornwall right where they should be, as the a*se of Britain. 

Up the Devonians

Elephant out 🐘🐘🐘

22 minutes ago, Elephant said:

Oh 100% how deluded you must be. Devon would smash all over Cornwall any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Annear? Nothing on our boy Landricombe. Eddy? Nothing on Rocky Neal. Don't forget we'd also have the likes of Mike Landricombe, Daw brothers, Josh Oak etc etc to call upon, all top quality talent that would, rightfully, put Cornwall right where they should be, as the a*se of Britain. 

Up the Devonians

Elephant out 🐘🐘🐘

Haha 😂 dream on dreamer!

Liam Eddy is a top goalscorer he destroyed Plymouth Parkway ,my fav striker has always been Levi Landricome anf fav goalie is Josh Oak , but us here in Cornwall would wipe the floor with you Devon lot dont think Rocky Neil is scoring that many goals later Eddy has scored 7 goals in his last 2 games it would be great to see a Cornish side vs a Devon side would be really good to watch

Look at the different standard of football between Eddy and Rocky 100% ? Leagues apart. Think elephant may be a bit harsh but obviously a passionate Devonian.  Think the Devon team would beat Cornwall 9 times out of 10.  Would be good too watch though. 

My buddy Way of the Park v The Bald One 

Tight git would still con me intoto paying for him to get in.

The question is , where would it be played ?

3 minutes ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Look at the different standard of football between Eddy and Rocky 100% ? Leagues apart. Think elephant may be a bit harsh but obviously a passionate Devonian.  Think the Devon team would beat Cornwall 9 times out of 10.  Would be good too watch though. 

Have to be Saltash I would think. 

37 minutes ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Play over 2 legs no complaints then

Top 3 sides in SWPL are from Devon, plus Western League, plus Southern League I think most of you guys have eaten too many pasties if you think Cornwall would beat Devon. I fear for Cornish football when The FA restructure isolates their clubs even more, although I do realise that some of your contributors are looking forward to it.

Yours in sport 

7 hours ago, shots said:

Top 3 sides in SWPL are from Devon, plus Western League, plus Southern League I think most of you guys have eaten too many pasties if you think Cornwall would beat Devon. I fear for Cornish football when The FA restructure isolates their clubs even more, although I do realise that some of your contributors are looking forward to it.

Yours in sport 

But Cornwall could pick truro players? Or is there no cornish lads playing for truro?

14 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Liam Eddy is a top goalscorer he destroyed Plymouth Parkway ,my fav striker has always been Levi Landricome anf fav goalie is Josh Oak , but us here in Cornwall would wipe the floor with you Devon lot dont think Rocky Neil is scoring that many goals later Eddy has scored 7 goals in his last 2 games it would be great to see a Cornish side vs a Devon side would be really good to watch

I thought Ryan Barnes was your fave keeper!

17 hours ago, Elephant said:

Up the Devonians

Elephant out 🐘🐘🐘

Elephant I think you need a calm down a bit here. I'm a proud Devonian too but you still need to watch what you're saying. Or are you just on a wind up? I do think a Devon team would beat a Cornish team, but like mentioned above I doubt it would ever happen as it's always about choosing the managers friends 

Hi Fanfare Ryan Barnes was my fav goalie ,but i got talking to Josh Oak and he seems a nicer person ,and secret scout these are some of the players i would have in my team  in goal would have to be Ryan Barnes Josh Oak would of been my 1st choice would of had Josh Robbins at full back but hes across the river in Devon in Tavi so it would be Martin Watts and martin Giles Joe Cooper Nigel Menhenick  i would have Neil Slateford , Jamie Lowry ,and Newquays Jack BRAY Evans  in midfield and 2 strikers would be Liam Eddy and Jordan Annear

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Hi Fanfare Ryan Barnes was my fav goalie ,but i got talking to Josh Oak and he seems a nicer person ,and secret scout these are some of the players i would have in my team  in goal would have to be Ryan Barnes Josh Oak would of been my 1st choice would of had Josh Robbins at full back but hes across the river in Devon in Tavi so it would be Martin Watts and martin Giles Joe Cooper Nigel Menhenick  i would have Neil Slateford , Jamie Lowry ,and Newquays Jack BRAY Evans  in midfield and 2 strikers would be Liam Eddy and Jordan Annear

Nigel Menhenick - adding some experience to the squad!

5 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Hes a bloody good centre half for Saltash i use to like the bald headed centre half that use to play for SALTASH but i think he must of retired cant remember his name but he was good

Chris is, so was his Dad Nigel, but in a different lifetime! 

The other player you’re thinking of is probably Toby Clark?